“Great site best to see from the sea trip”
Review of Pitons

St Lucia Castries to Pitons Tour
Ranked #2 of 172 things to do in St. Lucia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A spectacular landmark of St. Lucia visible for miles, Petit Piton and Gros Piton are twin volcanic spires majestically soaring out of the sea with waves crashing around their bases.
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The views are something special.Must visit when in St Lucia. The Pitons are best seen from the sea were you get various views from different points the boat take you.

4  Thank geoffsue186337
There are newer reviews for Pitons

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We did not climb the Pitons, but we saw the site. It is worth seeing. Our mini bus/Taxi took us to the Banana Plantataions, samples Coconut milk, sampled local bread, saw some wonderful tropical plants on the way to Pittons. It is a long and twisted road. But you see some wonderful places along the way. You go through some small fishing villages. At the base of the Piton some times ago they had an accident so they do not let you walk round the hissing sulphur and hot water jets. But still you can have a mud bath. One can take an option of travelling via Boat but if your stomach can take the bendy severe up/down roads than I suggest you take this trip in a Taxi/Mini bus.

2  Thank Amarjit M
Reviewed March 20, 2013

If you travel to St Lucia you must see the Pitons. We took a catamaran to them so it was cool as we could see them in the distance and as we approached we got a spectacular view of the iconic landmark of St Lucia. Definitely cool to climb if you are ambitious however just seeing them is worth it.

4  Thank Jason W
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Since May of last year I have been wanting to hike the Pitons and since our cruise ship would be stopping in St. Lucia for the day, my husband and I put this hike at the top of our excursion list if it was even possible. We knew it would be a long drive so we contacted a couple of the tour company's that offered this excursion and wound up using Spencer Tours. They took 6 of us from our ship (a young fit couple in their 20's, a mother with her 11 year old daughter and my husband who is 50 and myself which I have just turned 40) and we went on a speed boat to where the trail would start. Typically, the drive from the port takes about 2 hours but on the speedboat it only took 45 minutes and we received a tour of some of the various ports in St. Lucia, a delicious lunch and a bit of time to hang out on the beach that is between the Gros Piton and the Petite Piton. Our driver was Mango and he was very knowledgeable about the island, it's people and history.
Mango took us to the beach where there was a small nomadic type fishing village of rastefarians. They live off the land, grow their own food, fish, and keep to themselves exept to sell you a coconut for $2.00. Our guides, Cameron and Collette met us at the beach. They made sure we all had a liter of water and off we went.
My husband and I are both avid hikers and thought this hike was going to be like many of the other hikes we have done. We were in for a big awakening! The hike took us about 4.5 hours to complete. There weren't many switch backs, there were very large boulders and plenty of hand over foot climbing. There were several great places to stop and rest and get some incredible photos. The guides were also great at telling us about some of the plants and trees that grow there and telling us what their life was like on this beautiful island.
We all had very sore legs for several days after the hike but I know that we walked away with a new appreciation for hiking, St Lucia, and nature. I hope to one day be able to return to St. Lucia and hike the Gros Piton again.
I would recommend that if you go, you have a guide, have plenty of water, take a snack, a camera and something to journal with at the top and some cash so that you can tip your guide! Life is not easy on the island, things are expensive and it doesn't hurt anyone to tip someone who makes sure you get to the top of the mountain safely a few extra dollars! Cameron's dream is to see snow and I hope that some day his dream comes true.

5  Thank marchdreamer
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I really enjoyed climbing the Gros Piton. It is quite challenging and is probably a bit harder coming down than it is going up. We climbed to the top in about 1hr 30 and it took a little bit longer on the way down. Make sure you have lots of water and wear proper trainers/footwear.

3  Thank Adam C