“Piton Climb”

Climbing the Pitons Tour
Ranked #2 of 176 things to do in St. Lucia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A spectacular landmark of St. Lucia visible for miles, Petit Piton and Gros Piton are twin volcanic spires majestically soaring out of the sea with waves crashing around their bases.
Reviewed January 22, 2008

Petit Piton Challenge

On Tuesday 8th January 2008, Monica Kesson and Jane Wake undertook the Petit Piton Challenge as part of a fund raising campaign. This Piton is less often climbed and more difficult than the more commonly climbed Gros Piton and we were pleased when we completed the round trip in 3hrs 50 mins. Together with guides, we set off at about 08.00 and the 2,400 foot (approx) climb involves relatively vertical scrambling almost from the word go. The uneven, loose terrain through the tropical rain forest in the soaring heat was quite a challenge. The boulders got bigger as we ascended, but roots and branches provide good hand and foot holds. Once past the half way mark, ropes are in place to help the intrepid challenger! Initially these ropes were quite difficult but not insurmountable, however they do become more challenging as you climb higher. The feeling of elation at having achieved the summit and the stunning view of Soufriere and the Gros Piton made it a worthwhile experience. One which will remain very memorable for some time to come. (Doing this trip without a guide is not recommended, a good degree of physical fitness is required and safety gear would be useful).

7  Thank Kesson
Write a ReviewReviews (1,578)

Reviewed November 5, 2007

We lived in St Lucia for 27 months as Peace Corps volunteers. The pitons were visible from many places around the island. Any scene with the Pitons in view is expecially appealing and when you are near them they are inspiring to look at. Snorkling at the base of the pitons is especially good and the nearby resorts are all exceptional. The view of the pitons from the sea is awsome and you have nto been in the Caribbean unless you have been to see the pitons.
The picture show us with some of our St Lucian community partners. Petit Piton is in the background.

4  Thank ThankfulTravelers
Reviewed July 1, 2007

We climbed Gros Piton on June 24th with the help of our guide. The cost is $25 per person and it took us a total of 5 hrs from start to finish. The trail begins easy and is not too bad through the first half of the climb. The second half is very steep and difficult, as we needed to stop several times to catch our breath before proceeding up more rocks enroute to the summit. It took us about 2 1/2 hrs to the summit. The guide told us that most people don't make it so we felt good we made it to the top. He said it typically takes about 45 minutes to 2 hrs to reach the summit, so I guess we were a little slower than norm.The view from the top was amazing, but unfortunately it was cloudy so we were not able to see all the way to St. Vincent or Martinique (we were told on a clear day it is no problem). The way back down was painful, as it is very steep and you are constantly stepping on jagged rocks. I didn't remember all the rocks on the way up, but maybe I was taking steps over most of them.

The biggest challenge was the heat and humidity. Originally, I thought that it would get cooler as you went up the mountain. Unfortunately, the trees and vegetation block the wind and so there is little breeze up there which makes it difficult to cool down. By the time we reached the top, I was dripping wet and soaked from head to toe in my own sweat.

Make sure you bring plenty of water, energy bars, and are in good shape before taking on this challenge. Don't forget the camera either!

13  Thank panther23
Reviewed May 9, 2006

Before going down to St. Lucia I had been intrigued by a website that showed you could hike up the Gros Piton, one of St. Lucia's famous landmarks and a designated World Heritage site. I was determined to go on the Gros Piton hike once I got down there and I managed to do it.... just barely. Hiking up to the summit of the Gros Piton was by far one of the hardest and most physically challenging things I have ever done, I guess I am out of shape. Nonetheless, I managed to do it and it was well worth it to see the view of a lifetime. Pictures may give you an idea but its much more intense when you are actually there.

Unless you are physically fit I don't recommend this hike. The first half of the hike is moderate in difficulty, if you are having problems through this part then you probably won't make it all the way up and I recommend you continue to the half way mark where the view point of Petite Piton is located. My fiancé had to stop at this point but I continued, another girl with her boyfriend also had to stop around this point but I and the other guy as well as one other couple carried on. (If you go in groups they have more then one guide in case people don't make it all the way and have to stop).

The second half of the climb is much more difficult and tedious, its steep climb the rest of the way to the top. In my case I think I could have managed it a lot easier if I went slower and took my time but I was trying to keep up to the other couple who were in obviously better shape then myself.

Once at the top there is two summits, one giving you a view of the south site and then 2 minutes to the other side another view point giving you an awesome view of Petite Piton. The view is breath taking and in my opinion well worth the 2 hours it took to climb up no matter how physically exhausting it was. It was also interesting to see how the climate and plant life changes once you get to the top.

Hiking back down at first would seem to be easy but its not, gravity is working in your favor but at the same time it is also putting a huge strain on your knees and legs. Since it was so steep when coming up it is just as bad going down and by the time you have made it half way down your legs will be killing you. I slowed down a lot on the way back, the other people I was with managed to get down faster but I had to take my time. Eventually I barely made it all the way down and successfully completed the climb.

Random useless information: one of the guides dogs walked with us the entire way up and down Gros Piton with out any troubles and the oldest person to successfully make it all the way to the top and back down was 72 years old.

Once at the bottom everyone rested for a few minutes while the people in the small village (or community) as they called it prepared a lunch for us. The area there is rich in history and the people are very friendly there.

Overall the Gros Piton Nature Hike was a very rewarding experience.

You can see more pictures of the Gros Piton climb on my photo album on pages 5, 6 and 7:

65  Thank zerokarma
A TripAdvisor Member
north of Seattle
Reviewed July 7, 2005

I climbed Petit Piton with 6 sailing companions this spring. Two locals guided us up (Peter & John). It was quite difficult, but all (including three women & an ex NCAA deep back with an artificial hip) in my group summitted... and it was worth every straight up step. The rope passages require some upper body strength & full concentration. Take a liter of water and a camera in a backpack.. you need both hands for the climb. Am I glad I/we did it? ABSOLUTELY.. Would I do it again.. probably not. Also, an absolute must after the decent is an additional 5-10 minute walk up the paved road to the waterfall/mineral springs pool.. that soak after that climb was completely healing.. They also sell juice & water there. Also, the restaurant, Anse Miton, on the beach at the bottom of Petit is excellent.

Climb it!