“Enjoyed a great stay at Tom Beach”
Review of Tom Beach Hotel

Tom Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in St. Jean
Reviewed March 8, 2009

Just returned from a great 3 night stay at Tom Beach. Found the location to be ideal. We didn't rent a car for our first day so we walked to the local St. Jean shops, restaurants, grocery store and airport.
Our room was perfect. Modern, clean and comfortable. Not luxurious - but luxury wasn't expected. I was concerned about noise due to the location and the attached bar/restaurant. But, noise wasn't a problem - with the exception of an occasional airplane. A small but adequate pool. The hotel staff, especially Mary and Nicholas were terrific.
Breakfast was provided every morning in the outdoor restaurant. Feet in the sand, looking over the gorgeous beach. Lovely pastries, breads, jam, fresh squeezed juice and coffee. What more could you ask???
Beach chairs/towels are available to guests. Some extended stay "regulars", as well as day visitors to chic St. Jean beach rent the chairs as well. Makes for an enjoyable beachside scene.
St. Jean is a great beach for people (and airplane) watching, running, and walking. It's one of the only St. Barth beaches with bars/restaurants and close to shopping. Tom Beach's restaurant La Plage is fabulous for breakfast, lunch and dinner. La Plage had live entertainment each night. (Not too loud.) Nice during and after dinner.
Eden Rock is at the end of the beach and has a fabulous restaurant with a view you don't want to miss. At least try it for a sunset cocktail.
You'll want to have a rental car in St. Barth in order to explore the island, beaches, restaurants, etc. Parking is available either in the (tiny) Tom Beach garage or on the street. Driving is a thrilling experience in SBH.
Hotel choices in SBH are somewhat limited especially if you are looking to spend less than $500 per night. Tom Beach provided the perfect respite for our stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tmjm

Reviewed January 25, 2009

This place needs a remodel! e stayed in the most expensive room right above the restaurant on the beach and it needs an huge update and it was very noisy!!!! The smell of overflown toilets or cesspool was daily sometimes in the rooms and mainly inthe garden. The restaurant is ok but the guy who runs it is a disrespectful jerk. I would never return there.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank gabmat
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Hotel Tom Beach was the perfect spot for a week-end getaway from the bright lights of St. Martin. The hotel was just five minutes from the St. Barts airport, w/taxi provided by the hotel. Our room (#9) was beachfront, w/ a large oceanfront deck and bar which doubled the living space of our room. The room itself was large, very nicely appointed, with a modern bathroom, canopied king-size bed and a sliding glass wall onto the deck. I especially enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the beach-front restaurant and beach bar, which had good service and great food. The Eden Roc Hotel is at the other end of the beach, providing another wonderful restaurant just a short walk away. I definitely plan to stay here for all return trips to chic St. Barts!

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank BeachBumDE
Reviewed November 22, 2008

While I expected lovely, I was still pleasantly surprised when I arrived at Tom Beach Hotel. The plush gardens are spectacular. The rooms are elegantly adorned, making you truly feel at home with the ultra large beds and the outdoor area. The bathrooms are small, but accommodating and recently updated. In my room and I think all rooms…there is a private patio with fridge, minibar and sink. It is ideal for a romantic vacation, although I was alone. I love the small pool at the hotel which is incased by the gardens. Feel free to swim anytime anyway you choose. The staff understands discreet service.

The quaint rooms, restaurant and service are precisely what equate the true meaning of vacation. This is a place to unplug, which is hard to do in general (for me).

There is a restaurant outside which is located right on the ocean…so close the water it could touch your toes (not really, but close). The restaurant is called, La Plage. The food is exquisite and the staff is incredibly attentive. While the Caribbean overall is much more laid back than NY, which sometimes means bad service…there seems to be a different take with this wait staff. They were excellent.

This is truly a find. It depends on how you travel, but for me I travel for business a ton and stay in many 4 start hotels e.g.; Four Seasons, Ritz etc. While I love having multiple servers for a special client dinner, it’s so nice to embrace simple life with a serving of ultra chic. The servers are dressed rather casual with a certain je nais se quoi the French have in terms of fashion sense.

Oh and they serve a perfect breakfast each morning. They brought me croissants each morning, both plain and with chocolate (YUM) and they included various jellies. During my breakfast each morning I had humming birds (or something of the like) come to my room and sit on my patio. They love jelly, which I let out for them each day and took a ton of pictures.

I did not want to leave, but I had plans to check out Anguilla, which is also very lovely.

To note, you will need a car to get around the island as the roads are very tight and people drive pretty crazy…kind of like a bunch of NY cabbies were dropped of on this little island. Walking the whole island is not a good idea – although I tried.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. I am going back in February and this time planning the whole trip at Tom Beach. I did check out close by hotels and dined – awesome. But for my stay, I choose this quaint hotel.

Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank Gettinggreat
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Stayed here last year for October half-term and again this year. The de-luxe rooms are outstanding. Fantastic balcony with views over the Bay (when you're standing) otherwise the beach punters get to look at the soles of your feet while you knock back another G+T.

What's not to like? The iPod docking station sounds like it took a direct hit from a bolt of lightning from Hurricane Omar which breezed by the previous week but apart from that all was cool and heavenly.

The beach continues to be outstanding and there appeared to be about 15 yards more sand to it this year so we were able to walk down the beach and snorkel/dine at the Eden Rock instead of staggering along the road in the dark outside a couple of bottles of wine.

But the truly outstanding part is the location. I continually miss the 'No Fat Chicks' sign at the airport but there is surely some triage in operation because the beach is constantly populated by the most perfectly proportioned 20-something babes on the planet. Topless. It just makes my heart soar. Sometimes you just want to punch the air and shout 'Yes!!!' although I think my wife would probably get annoyed if I did that.

Top hotel. Good breakfast. Attentive staff. Oddly deserted reception area though.

Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2008
4  Thank jgm2
Reviewed March 15, 2007

We stayed at Tom Beach for 7 nights the first week of March. Nice beach, fun restaurant. This was our second stay...and I doubt we will go back. St. Barts is a wonderful island with a lot going for it. But there are plenty of places to stay will great customer service. Our room was very basic. The fuses kept blowing on a daily and nightly basis from the first day of our stay. They just kept giving us new fuses to put in instead of getting the problem solved. Kind of difficult to find the fuse box at 2:00 AM in total darkness when the air conditioner and ceiling fan would go out. We also had weather related travel problems getting to St. Barts from California. We called the day prior and explained the situation. They said no problem, but then charged us the 500 Euros anyway for the night we did not use. We had to leave on the first flight out of St. Barts which was 7:30 AM. Since their front desk does not open until 9:00, we checked out the night before and returned our rental car. They set a wake up call and arranged a taxi to pick us up at 6:45 AM. There was NO wake-up call and NO taxi ever showed up. Thankfully, the Tom Beach is a long walk from the airport...so we walked with all of our luggage at 7:15 and barely made our flight. Thank you very much, Tom Beach. We really appreciate the customer service.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Southpawfam
A TripAdvisor Member
Livonia Mi.
Reviewed April 28, 2006

My Wife and I staid at The tom Beach Hotel for 7 nights at the end of this February. We will definately return. I could rave about the great food in their restaurant, how wonderful our room was ,and how great the location right on the beach was; but it was the staff that made this such a great week for us . From the bartenders to the wait staff at all the meals, allof them were very friendlyand treated us like friends. But what really made tom beach so special the 3 young women who work at the front desk , Auriall, Emmanuel, And Marie. Besides being extremely efficient at the tasks of check in and checkout ; they were more than just helpfull with any questions , requests and reservations we had. They also made us feal especially welcome during a special party for the guests one evening. and at all of the special lunches and partys that the tom beach puts on . We miss the beaches ; we miss the the warm water ; and we miss the people who made this such a special week for us

• Stayed: February 2006
2 mi away
Le P'tit Morne Hotel
Le P'tit Morne Hotel
#1 of 2 in Colombier

Been to Tom Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!