“10 stars!”
Review of Tom Beach Hotel

Tom Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in St. Jean
Reviewed July 14, 2013

First off let me say, for the past 6 months I read every review posted on this hotel. If you are reading this then you know the cost to visit this island so the last thing you want to do is make a poor hotel choice... This hotel is amazing, with only 12 rooms you feel like you are in your own paradise. First things first!

Staff: Wonderful! Now let me tell you I think my husband thought he died and went to French heaven. 90 percent of the staff were GORGEOUS French woman who were all so lovely to us. A special thanks to Sabrina at the front desk for being so attentive to us and also Jeremy, the bartender who we talked to nightly about the culture! Lastly Rob who played live music a few nights a week. We absolutely loved his music and spent many nights following him around the island to other hotels to hear him play.

Beach: I cannot express in words how AHHHHmazing this beach was. 75 degrees, little waves, pure white sand. It was heavenly. I loved watching the planes take off each day as the landing strip was right next to the hotel. Everyone might ask if it was loud but they were such small planes that is was fine and so exhilarating to watch!

Rooms: If you stay here you MUST get the ocean front room, its worth the price. You literally open your curtains to the beach. The rooms are simple but honestly you spend ZERO time in them so they don't need to be much. The balcony was my favorite part.

Food: The food was to die for, I loved it all!!! The only thing I wouldn't do each stay next time is the breakfast, eggs everyday, not much selection but the lunch and dinner they had to offer were outstanding!! I absolutely loved my lobster, shrimp salads and did I mention the Panini's- try the Panini's yum yum !

Drinks: Also another great aspect of the hotel... The creative fresh drinks were outstanding and I found to be a little less than the other larger resorts which was nice. I think I tried every drink on the menu and loved them all. Im a huge wine drinker and enjoyed the 7 euro Bordeaux , at home, I would have paid $20 for that glass of wine, that's how good it was! That was the biggest and probably only bargain of the trip :)

Free St. Barth's Store: They had a lovely small boutique at the hotel. My husband and I ended up buying t-shirts, hoodies and shorts, we loved their items... All neon, bright and great quality. I wore mine home on the plane and everyone commented on it and of course St. Barth.

Pole Dancing: Your probably wondering what type of place this is... As so was I when I was the pole dancing but Christina, the dancer is so beautiful and graceful and truly makes her career a beautiful art. She performed over dinner one night along with a fire show and it was simply stunning. This was a great attribute to the hotel that no one else has. Not only was it tactful (she is clothed :)) but is was so intriguing to watch. Its a must see on the island!

I don't think I have ever visited a better beach in my life... A hotel is a hotel but the staff truly made our stay wonderful and made the last 10 days the best of our entire lives this far. We will definitely be back again next year.

Thank you TOM Beach Hotel for making our vacation an unforgettable one !!!!!!!

Room Tip: ocean front
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Caligirllove
There are newer reviews for Tom Beach Hotel

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Wonderful place to stay - perfect location on the beach / you can walk almost everywhere in St Jean - quaint pool perfect for a quick dip / even had water bicycles - genuinely friendly staff / helpful and pleasant - great restaurant with fresh delicious options / juice bar is fantastic - chic events at night - we will be back! Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We have been going to St Barths for 25 years and have stayed all over the island in hotels and mostly villas. This trip was for our 25th wedding anniversary. Always wanted to stay on St Jean Beach. The location of this hotel is the only positive thing I can speak of. The room was spacious but we had an issue with bugs. The bathroom light is on a sensor, so at night any movement would turn it on. Needless to say that's when the bugs went running. I was afraid to go into the bathroom at night. Also they gathered in closet where our cloths were keep. The staff just gave us more bug spray. I also found the staff to not be friendly at all. It was as if they were doing us a big favor by allowing us to stay at their property. Out of the entire staff we came in contact with there was one girl at the reception area and one bar tender that did make our stay enjoyable. Forget about the rest. Breakfast was fine and the waitress was nice but not attentive. Never did the manager ask how we were doing or even speak to us for that matter. Considering how many english speaking people come to St Barths and contribute to their economy, Tom Beach Hotel did not have one english speaking TV channel. Not that I go on vacation to watch TV, but it would have been nice have been able to at least check the news. I was told that if anything in the world happened they'd be sure to let me know and that most people used their Ipad, I found this to be insulting. I started to think maybe it was because I was an American but quickly learned of other guests who were very unhappy as well. A man from France approached my husband and I and asked how we felt about the service. Needless to say he too felt very uncomfortable as to how he was treated by the staff.

I will continue to go to St Barths yearly but will not stay at this hotel again and will not recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tracy002
tombeachhotel, General Manager at Tom Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

We took good note of your comment and we are deeply sorry that your feeling about your stay at Tom Beach Hotel was so uncomfortable.

We are already working on TV offer since few weeks to upgrade our offer to 50 new US channels. It should be ready for the next winter season. We recently put new flat TV screen as you know.

Regarding bugs, we totally understand you. These animals carry very bad image. Our Hotel is situated in a tropical garden, in the nature. We use professional treatment twice a week to avoid insects into our rooms. Further to your experience, we will find a better way to make sure this will not happen again.

We apology for the inconvenience you met during your stay. Also, we thank you for your feedback which we take to improve our quality of service.

We hope to receive you again and bring you a new idea with a full satisfaction that you could have too.

Kind regards,

Aymeric BOURDIN
Assistant General Manager
management@tombeach.com

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Our experience at the Tom Beach was awesome! Hotel was modern, updated, super clean and very chic! The room was spacious and the beach was just steps from our front door. The hotel staff was awesome and the restaurant was in the perfect location with great service. Overall a 10 out of 10! Would go back in a heartbeat and would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a high end hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Tom Beach is wonderful place to stay that provide luxury at a reasonable price. It's centrally located (within walking distance of other resorts and restaurants) and the beach is wonderful. Some rooms are a bit older than others.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We decided by ourself (via Internet research) to stay in this "Boutique Hotel" in St. Jean... We book a 7 nights stay with 1 deluxe room sea view and 1 garden room. Unfortunately, after 2 days, we were pissed off about the behavior of the staff, more specifically the waiters and the direction which are absolutely not qualified, and don' t have any sense of customer satisfaction... and hospitality management... There is really a lack of professionalism, and willingness of pleasing guest. We are used to stay in 4 or 5 stars hotels usually, the stay in Tom's beach, was worst than expected, and so bad, that we have the feeling that the management and staff focus only of getting more cash by not doing as little as possible .... You really feeling disturbing the vacation' time of the staff... The Roles are reversed... It's really a shame, to have an establishment like this in St. Barthelemy... Avoid this unpleasant place if you don't want to spoil your holidays... We stop the comments, because, We don't want to spend more energy for this poor place and for these unpleasant management... Price r too high for that quality of stay!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
16  Thank Marie-Michelle L
Reviewed May 23, 2013

As a single, solo traveler making my first trip to St. Barth, I researched every hotel on the island. Speaking to many people that have been to St. Barth (on a single's trip or as a couple) each of them telling me Tom Beach Hotel (in many cases with huge smiles and passionate voices). I booked, albeit nervous, as your accommodations on a vacation are very important.

Tom Beach exceeded every hope/vision I could have had. The location is perfect to make your home base. You can be anywhere on the island within a 5-10 minute drive, which is nice for those of us that do like to explore. But, you almost don't want to leave once you get there! The hotel gracefully walks the tight rope of relaxation and serenity mixed with the energy that only St. Barth can give you.

When entering the hotel you are greeted with a genuine welcome and easy check in process (This is actually hard to find in other hotels in the islands, where you can sit for 20 minutes signing papers). You are then walked through the gardens to your room. I chose a garden view, as the hotel sits directly on the beach.. you can get away with it! I opened the door and was greeted by the epitome of paradise accommodations (Canopy bed, private garden patio, serene bathroom with rain shower and slate). I dropped my bags and the lovely manager walked me to the beach side bar for a cocktail.

Now, this is where Tom Beach Hotel can not be beat... anywhere on the island. You not only have the intimacy of a unique boutique hotel but you get the the energy of the best restaurant and hotspot that the island provides. Beautiful people lounge at the tables, on the sand, and behind the bar. A DJ mixes music that I have since been searching to find online, at that perfect volume.. And the food is to die for. During the course of my stay I tried the Lobster sliders, Yellow fin Carpaccio (melts in your mouth). Thai Salad with Shrimp, Steak Tartar and grilled Lobster each of which blew me away. Management makes it clear that since you are staying at the hotel, you are VIP. You get a table at La Plage (the incredible hotel restaurant & bar) and a chair on the beach.. no matter what. (Which is a nice perk for those of us that brought the platinum but left our centurion cards in our last lives).

While on the island I tried to check out as many restaurants as possible...but none of them compared to La Plage.. I found myself always making my way back home. As home was where I wanted to be.

I also tried out a few spa's (including Guanahani).. as the hotel does not have a dedicated spa, but offers massages under a private canopy on the beach.. and none of them compared to what I got at Tom Beach. Listening to the waves crashing, getting a heavenly massage and then peacefully walking to my room, only stopping for one of the many healthy juices at the bar is much better then treking to a spa and having to trek back after.

Needless to say, I will be back.. hopefully sooner rather than later. And I don't plan on doing anything differently other than staying longer! Thank you Tom Beach Hotel!

Room Tip: I stayed in Room #4.. was perfect! Next time I will check out a beach view.. as I know that I will b...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Lindsey C
tombeachhotel, Concierge at Tom Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Hello Stacey,

Thank you for your lovely message!

We loved having you here, and hope to welcome you back very soon!

Your dedicated Tom Beach Hotel team!

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Jean
Le Sereno Hotel
Le Sereno Hotel
#3 of 7 in Grand Cul-de-Sac
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten

Been to Tom Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!