“Great beach-side restaurant”
Review of Tom Beach Hotel

Tom Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in St. Jean
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This lovely sand-in-your-shoes beach-side restaurant is very well run : excellent food and very friendly service. Lovely ambiance too. Enjoy the sight of the private planes taking-off and landing at the nearby airport (spectacular). Did not stay at the hotel - I am commenting on the restaurant only.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Tom Beach Hotel

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Lovely property and staff. Unfortunately, the Tom Beach needs to hire a better exterminator.
I was afraid to leave my suitcase open for fear I would bring "something" home. The person who showed me the amendities of my room when I first checked in also pointed out the Raid bug repellant and The Off mosquito spray for my use. Yikes! Lounging in bed under my mosquito netting a bug crossed over me and I needless to say had trouble sleeping afterwards.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Josie M
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just returned from 5 days at the Tom Beach Hotel in which every expectation was exceeded. I stayed with my son, who is in grad school and flew in from Paris. It was the perfect hotel for both of us. Lets start with the location - directly on the beach with gorgeous views, next to a water sports rental (where my son and his friends rented a Hobie Cat), near restaurants and shops in St. Jean. Each morning, I woke early and enjoyed breakfast at the beach-front restaurant where I was welcomed with a big smile and "bonjour!." It was a hearty meal with eggs, bacon, pancakes, waffles, croissants, abundent fresh fruit, etc., etc. Since they serve til 11 a.m., my son, who often slept in after partying until the wee hours, could enjoy a late breakfast. Beach chairs were set up for us - for the day, if wanted. The beach bar offers great service & seems to be a popular spot for young and young at heart to hang out. This hotel has a unique, european ambiance - hip yet understated. On Friday night, they had a big party with a DJ who flew in from L.A. - outstanding, reported my son, who attended with friends. While it was noisy, I knew to bring ear plugs (because the airport is so close) and slept right through.We dined with our friends at La Plage (9 of us) and everyone loved it - service, food, atmosphere - all great.

Our room, #3, was the furthest from the restaurant (but really a very short stroll). I usually like oceanfront with views but did not miss it at all - the hotel is so small that at any time you can simply stroll down to a lounge chair and enjoy the crashing surf. The room itself was large enough to accomodate a roll-away bed, which conveniently rolled right under the king bed. It had a lovely garden terrace which we enjoyed. The bath was spacious with a great shower.

The hotel arranged our car rental, which I'd recommend - I was simply handed the keys and I handed them back the day we left - how convenient! They also arranged airport transfers, starting in St. Maarten with VIP service. Our bags did not come in with our flight to St. Barths; but, after our welcome cocktail with friends on the beach, we found our bags in our room.
The maid service seemed invisible - how they knew when we left always amazed me as we'd return to a fresh room. They also provided turn-down service with fresh towels if needed.

On my last visit to St. Barths, I stayed at Les Ondines - another nice small hotel, but it is very far from Gustavia & St. Jean. The Tom Beach is the perfect location and provides 5-star service. You could not do better anywhere on the island - highly recommend!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank havaneserule
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We recently spent a very relaxing week at Tom Beach and I would highly recommend it. It seemed to be the most vibrant beach scene on the island which was perfect because you could drive to a secluded beach at any time and then return to a great scene with great drinks and music (depending on the day). We found it to be the perfect "home base" to see the island from. The staff was great, the hotel was very clean, and the front desk helped with reservations for any night we needed to go out. We rented a car 2 days into our week long trip and I wished I had rented one for the entire time. Any cab ride seemed to be $30 each way, no matter where you were going. It would have been cheaper to just rent a car. We can't wait to return to Tom Beach, hopefully sooner rather than later

Room Tip: Location wise, every room is pretty much the same, although I think a few faced the street which you...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Tom Beach hotel is a very pleasant small hotel with a vibrant atmosphere and
friendly service. Concierge was very helpful in retrieving our luggage, which had
been lost by Airfrance, and recommending beaches and restaurants around the island.
Rooms are large, comfortable and clean. Mosquitos are a nuisance throughout the
island, although they are not really advertised... Hotel is right on the beach and
has a very nice restaurant offering excellent breakfast, great food and a
high-quality bar. Some evenings there is live music or a DJ and great atmosphere.
Crowd is young, but we went with our 2 year old daughter who loved it. Pool is not
one of the highlights, while St Jean is a beautiful beach and an excellent location
to visit the island as a well as the town of Gustavia. The planes, which take off
meters away from the hotel, never bothered us, while noise from the nearby street
was a bit more noticeable from our room. Overall an excellent place and we would
definitively go back to it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My recent stay at the Tom Beach Hotel in St. Barths was so indescribably divine that part of me wishes to keep it secret. My ocean front room with incredibly large double deck and unworldy sea views could not have been more comfortable or more stylishly decorated. We played our music and watched movies during down time and it felt like home. La Plage restaurant on the beach kept us well fed to funky beats for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dinner is especially exquisite and has a low key clubby feel, sometimes there is live music. There is nothing like eating delicious food with your barefeet in the white powdery sand of St. Jean Beach. The two bars on the beach serve equally delectable cocktails. The restaurant and the bars are gorgeous and are never crowded. The staff is always smiling and eager to make any accomodation. For example they parked our car when we were in a rush, sought out adaptors for my iphone5, made all of our reservations, set up our beach chairs with towels and umbrealls each day, were a wealth of island info, and scheduled my tennis lessons. They gladly made many last minute changes when necessary. They also made all of this seem effortless. The location is on the best beach in St. Barths in my opinion. I have stayed at more expensive hotels in St. Barths and they pale in comparison to the happiness that Tom Beach provides.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful. But ocean front is best.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Our recent stay at Tom Beach was wonderful. Our oceanfront room was beautiful and comfortable. The entire hotel staff was attentive and Guillaume and Aymeric, the manager, were most helpful. The restaurant, La Plage, is excellent with very creative food. The beach is gorgeous. It is a hotel where you do not need to rent a car as the restaurants and shops of St. Jean are within a few minutes walk. Very nice pool. Lovely breakfast by the beach. We look forward to returning to Tom Beach!

Room Tip: There are two beachfront rooms which have very large decks overlooking the beach. The rest are over...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Le Sereno Hotel
Le Sereno Hotel
#3 of 7 in Grand Cul-de-Sac
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten

Been to Tom Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!