“Beautiful Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in St. Jean
jtml0802
“Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon and thought the hotel was excellent. We spent half of our stay in the James Suite and the other have in The Reef (A Classic Rock Suite). The Reef was a great classic rock suite with a balcony that overlooked the ocean waves. Very adequate in itself. However, if you want to be spoiled, the James Suite was AMAZING. My husband and I absolutely loved to have our own private pool and jacuzzi. We also had easy access to the beach which was just a few steps away in our "backyard." Every night, we received yummy macarons as a treat and one night we even received two beautiful roses as a special honeymoon extra. I looked forward to the morning breakfasts every single day... delicious pastries, hot foods, and a huge selection of spreads including jams, nutella, and honey. Service was excellent as they answered a ton of our questions and also helped us make reservations at recommended restaurants (we loved L'Isola and cabaret night at Le Ti). We didn't spend too much time at the beach though, as we found the sand to be rough with lots of tiny shells. However, we enjoyed taking the car (which was included in our package) to explore other beaches around the island. The only thing that kind of put a damper on our vacation was the mosquito situation. Although the rooms in Eden Rock offer you a whole cabinet full of mosquito repellant sprays and even a zapper, I still got eaten alive and left the island with about 20 bites! My husband had about 10. We went to sleep with the zapper next to us and kept the mosquito repellant plug-in plugged in right next to our bed, but it was to no avail. Unfortunately, we didn't get to really spend too much time in the "living room" area of the James Suite just b/c it was filled with mosquitos. Maybe you guys will be luckier. Regardless, I would still want to go back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jtml0802

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Turkish first
Southeast USA
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I travel a good bit and have been to St Barths dozens of times. I have stayed in most of the major hotels on St Barths and can recommend several for their own particular attributes. When I travel, I like to stay in fine places. If I cant stay somewhere grand, I wont go. I'll just stay home.

Anyway, Eden Rock is one of the most fantastic hotels anywhere. Service, staff, decoration, food, location, it has it all in a very exotic St Tropez in the Caribbean way.

There are several posts in this site complaining that the staff of Eden Rock either does not allow non-guests to use the beach chairs or charges them for this service. Well, who'd have thunk it?

Here is the skinny: St Barths has about 8,000 or so residents and can accommodate about 1,500 guests or so. St Jean is the most popular beach, favored by locals and people who enjoy food, drink and a beautiful view of the ocean without waves. So we are led to believe by some that any of the 9,500 people on the island should be allowed to use the chairs that Eden Rock provides for its guests at no charge? And then, when a hotel guest shows up to find all the chairs have been taken by nonpaying customers, that guest just, well, who knows?

Uh yeah.

All beaches on St Barths are public. HOWEVER, the articles placed on those beaches (chairs, umbrellas, etc) by private concerns are NOT public items. Anyone wanting to rent chairs at Nikki Beach (I recommend this) or Tom Beach (I also recommend this) can do so and will have a great time. But when a restaurant, bar or hotel has a limited number of chairs on its beach, expecting those chairs to be snatched up on a First Come First Serve basis by the public is silliness in the extreme.

How much sense does it make to have a hotel review by a person who DID NOT STAY IN THE HOTEL?

I could urge everyone around the world reading this to ignore the bad posts and rent a room at Eden Rock NOW but with occupancy rates running close to full year round at Eden Rock (and many of those being repeat guests) it is already hard enough to get a room at the place without some advanced planning.

Anyone reading the posts about hotel staff reserving the beach chairs for hotel guests and seeing that as a BAD thing should heed such advice. Anyone who sees that as a GOOD thing should book immediately for the trip of a lifetime.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Piratewannabe
FRANCE
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We have been on Saint Barth few times and it was our first stay at Eden Rock. For us, Eden Rock is the best hotel on the island. Best for location, right on the beach not to far from Gustavia . The service is good, can always be perfected. The beach restaurant is good and the diner restaurant is one of the best on the island

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank PIXSQUARED
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2012

My wife and I visited Eden Rock for our honeymoon, and in one word..."wow". Awesome location, amazing service, beautiful suites, and great staff. I could go on and on. Not a single thing was disappointing here. You need to be prepared for the cost, but that is common anywhere in St. Barts. Despite the cost, it was well worth the money. I would say that this was the nicest hotel and best vacation we have ever had. If I could choose one place to go in the world right at this moment, it would be Eden Rock in St. Barts.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very unique, with individual decor and layouts. I don't think you can go w...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank outdoortraveller2012
Ostrava, Czech Republic
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I use the words above unsure if they correctly convey how I want to describe it, as it isn't really a hotel, or even a resort, it is a home from home for those that desire the best of service without intrusion and without pomp and grandeur. That isn't to say it isn't luxurious, as it most certainly is. That doesn't mean it isn't expensive, for it is unashamedly so. It is simply the best place in the Caribbean to put your feet up and not be bothered by urchins, both the types that hurt your feet and try to sell you things you have no desire for. It is the best place to swim in a genuinely picturesque West Indian colonial style Caribbean bay. You would be extremely hard pressed to find better food anywhere in the world. When you arrive, they say 'welcome home'. There are bigger places, more famous places and places that are easier to get to (StB requires a short hop in a private, or semi private plane from a more accesdsible island, like St Maarten ) but you will not find a better one, I guarantee it... Note that most of those who post bad reviews, actually haven't been to the hotel, but were simply visiting the island and wanted to use the equipment or services of the hotel for free. That is kind of like strangers wanting to use your garden barbeque and you saying no and them getting offended.

Room Tip: All the rooms are delightful and different. They are priced according to size mostly. We have stay...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pauljking
San Francisco
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My wife and I spent two weeks in the Caribbean in July 2011. One week at Eden Rock (St. Barts), and one week at CJ (Anguilla).

We got married on Anguilla and spent our honeymoon on St. Bart. It was an amazing experience. Each hotel provides a unique, luxurious experience in an amazing setting.

Note to travelers from the United States. As you probably know by now, St. Bart is not cheap due to the Euro exchange rate. But it was our honeymoon and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Comparison of the Islands

St. Bart provides a sharp contrast to Anguilla. Although St. Bart is French, and Anguilla is British, the two islands have a vastly different infrastructure and "feel." St. Bart feels like a small French province got dropped into the Caribbean. French is the dominant language (although we didn't have a problem communicating in English). Someone has made a commitment to invest in the infrastructure (good roads, for example). The population appears to be predominantly European and poverty was not obvious.

The people on Anguilla were warm, but the infrastructure is underdeveloped and poverty is more obvious. I won't get into politics, but someone has made different choices in terms of resource allocation to Anguilla and St. Bart, respectively.

That said, we enjoyed the beaches and water on Anguilla slightly more than the beaches and water on St. Bart. Anguilla was an A+, and St. Bart was an A. We spent most of our beach time at the Eden Rock, and the beach and water is not the best on the island. More below.

We enjoyed the food on both islands. Again, we'd probably give an A+ to Anguilla and an A- to St. Bart. But great restaurants in both places.

Comments on Eden Rock

Room. We stayed in one of the more affordable rooms, despite an upgrade from my travel agency. The room was small but very comfortable, with 5-star furnishings. My wife had some issues with the bed (in contrast to the bed at CJ/Anguilla, which she loved). The bathroom was spacious and the shower was great. The room was clean and stocked, although we bought some snacks at the grocery store across from the airport. We were right by the beach and breakfast/lunch cafe. That was convenient, but high traffic. (The traffic was never a problem and noise was never a problem.)

Food. The breakfast was included with our room. It was *amazing* and definitely a highlight of the trip. My wife still raves about the quiche. Lunch and dinner were also terrific. Overall, the food at the Eden Rock was first class. We ate good food at a couple other restaraunts on the island.

Beach. We loved the beach chairs and service. We also loved access to the Eden Rock's kayaks and paddleboards. The beach itself is not the nicest on the island, and pales in comparison to the beach at CJ/Anguilla. The water still feels amazing, but it's a harbor so cloudier on shore. We had a mix of people including honeymooners and families with children.

Service. The service was consistently good. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful when we needed assistance or items for the room. It's a chic hotel, but the staff were pretty down to earth overall.

Mosquitos. The mosquitos were really bad, although worse for my wife than me. It rained at night a couple times, and the mosquitos swarmed around our room. The hotel sprayed and killed legions, but a few survived and chomped us during the night. Part of the hazards of a Caribbean vacation.

Overall, a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us. The water is incredible and the food is delicious. However, not for the budget traveler.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
12 Thank knoxmarlow
Philadelphia
Reviewed December 5, 2011

This was to be a combination trip, three days in St. Barths and five in Anguilla. We took the St. Barths Commuter over from Grand Case and as we have no flying issues, we totally enjoyed the 15 minute ride, arriving at dusk. A handsome young man was holding a card from Eden Rock with our name, (they are all handsome and beautiful here), and we arrived at the hotel in good spirits and non the worse for wear.

Up the steps to the Angel Terrace we were seated in the most stunning lobby area I have ever seen overlooking St. Jean's beach and handed a glass of champagne. The check in attendant came from behind the desk, sat with us, and gave us a brief overview of the resort and our room key. Would that all check in experiences could be this easy, as we have never experienced a more pleasant check-in than at Eden Rock.

It gets better. We had reserved three nights in their garden rooms only to be told that none of the garden rooms were available on the first night. SO, they put us in one of their Diamond Suites and left us there for three nights!! Here's the pics.

edenrockhotel.com/accommodation/…

The Jame's Suite was six levels above the one we had reserved and with our own private pool and hot tub, we were simply dazzled. Modern, architecturally stunning and supremely comfortable, it was nothing short of jaw dropping. The pictures do not really do it justice. Snacks set out for us at the table were small tuna baguettes and improbably a gourmet marshmallow, both delicious.

And to top off our best first day travel experience EVER, we had the best dinner of our vacation at Eden Rock's restaurant "On the Rocks".

Ordering a Gin Martini with Cucumber and a Basil Daiquiri, both excellent, (I preferred the daiquiri and ordered it again at lunch the next day,) with a Thai Steak in perfectly seasoned sauce, great if you like spicy, and a Spiny Lobster we looked out at a very romantic water view high above St. Jean beach. Assorted homemade ice creams for dessert cooled us off.

While it was Saturday night and the background music was most likely reflecting this, we would have preferred a lower key selection of dinner music from the DJ in the bar area. But this Eden Rock dinner set a very high standard for the week ahead and was unmatched for food as well as service in both, St. Barth's as well as Anguilla.

We slept like babies.

Day 2 (Or how to gain 10 pounds in 2 days.)

Waking up to an ocean view from our bed and a sunny day besides, we felt twice blessed. Breakfast in the Sand Bar restaurant was included in our room rate and here we found the most unique breakfast experience. Full gourmet breakfasts included homemade yoghurt's, both plain and soy, mangoes in vanilla sauce, homemade jams of which the peach was extraordinary, along with myriad french pastries and tarts, all displayed in unusual containers to delight the eye. Truly it was a pleasure and beat the typical hotel breakfast experience by miles. They switched it up from day to day and had us looking forward to it each morning.

Checking out our suite more closely we found Bulgari toiletries. My bathrobe was so thick I felt like a polar bear and complained to DH that it was almost too heavy. He laughed and pulled out of the closet a thinner model made of lightweight cotton. Two flat screens, one at the foot of our bed and another in the living area actually either popped up or disappeared into a console via remote control. Mr. daffy being a gadget guy enjoyed this greatly. The bathroom was AMAZING with a huge shower space and double heads that cut in half the time it took to get ready for dinner. But let me stop drooling over the room now.

A car was included in our package and we had a little Yaris to bop around in. We were told the roads are not for the faint of heart and they are not. In my mind I pictured the roads to be like St. John but I do believe they are even steeper with curvier switchbacks. But a small island as the crow flies, we really didn't spend too much time in the car and actually it was fun for us.

We were very impressed with the views looking down on the beaches, which really reminded us of France and Italy's Amalfi Coast and a special treat as Anguilla is so flat. In Anguilla we do have terrific views of the mountains of Sint Maarten across the water but that has a totally different feel than the St. Barth's views.

By this time our ears were acclimating to the French accent. As everyone spoke English there was no language difficulty. At lunch back at the hotel, the lemongrass gazpacho soup was again a perfect combination of ingredients. The DH's chicken stir fry maybe slightly salty for him but I enjoyed it. He's a stickler about too much salt and we typically avoid fast food and chains restaurants at home for this reason. I wouldn't describe us as foodies but we are getting there slowly but surely.

The afternoon on St. Jean Beach was lovely. This beach and Flamands were my favorites after Shell Beach. We lucked out with the seaweed as it had pretty much disappeared both in St. Barth's and Anguilla. Just a few remnants on Flamands but nothing to worry about. In my lounge chair on St. Jean's I did find myself wishing I could photo shop out a couple of boats in-between me and the low lying cays. We swam to the left of the chairs which left us with a perfect view of this gentle beach with a mirror-like surface.

That night for dinner we had originally chosen Eddy's with lots of help from the regulars on the St. Barth's board but realizing it was closed on Sunday nights tried to get reservations at Le Gaiac at Le Tony. Apparently this is one of those difficult to get reservations and we ended up at Isle de France's Isle de Case restaurant. While the setting was romantic, DH's veal dish was better than my chicken and I just hate when that happens. I generally try and avoid chocolate in desserts but several times both in Anguilla and St. Barth's inadvertently found myself with desserts covered with chocolate syrup and this was one of those times. Usually in the states if a dessert has chocolate in it, it is mentioned in the description. However loved the setting by the water, music and ambiance here.

Arriving back at our suite we found a dozen lit candles and homemade chocolates by our bed.

The next day, Gustavia for shopping before lunch, even though I just about never do this on vacation, was fun for me but not for the DH. I could have spent several days here as the fashion and glamour on this island were eye-popping. Many of the French on this island look liked models, just stepping off the pages of Vogue. Thin, young and beautiful, both the men and the women, and it made me rethink the term "Ugly American" I had thought it mostly referred to attitude but after our time in St. Barth's I wasn't so sure. Certainly they take the time to dress well. I realized that many of the clothes that I admired walking down the street here, just would not fit into my current life. I still admired them in the stores however, in the same way you would admire good art.

We found Shell Beach just before lunch and were tempted by Do Brazil right on the beach but held off for Santa Fe. The water at Shell was lake-still on this day, I was fascinated by the wind chime like sound of the shells at the water's edge as they tossed back and forth with the gentle waves. Again, hardly anyone there and we hated to leave.

Santa Fe was everything, everyone on the boards said. Stunning views of Saba, Stacia, St. Kitts and Nevis. They make an excellent mojito here. The crisp tomato tart with mascarpone cheese, along with the tropical salad scallop were outstanding. We also had the best creme brulee of our lives and vowed to never order it again as we could only be disappointed after this masterpiece.

Spending another afternoon on St. Jean's Beach we walked it from end to end checking out the different resorts. For the Anguilla forum readers who do not know, the prop planes fly very low over this beach to and from Sint Maarten. The frequency is surprising and I found myself thinking how glad I was that we did not stay in some of these accommodations closer to the runway. I suppose if you live here you would become very good at tuning them out. But were very glad we chose to stay on St. Jean beach for our first trip. More good advice from the St. Barth's forum.

Driving to Maya's for dinner that night, we soaked the front wheels of our tires in the ocean before we realized we missed the turn. Loved the so light and very fresh herbed chicken and filet, and delicious coconut tart. Maya herself, was as charming as the setting and our last dinner in St. Barth's could not have been more perfect.

What a fabulous, elegant island! We are so glad we did this and I would highly recommend a similar trip to anyone on Anguilla looking for a change of pace. You really can not compare these two islands, Apart from being located in the Caribbean Sea there are very few similarities. Go for the contrast and a completely different experience. Go for the exquisite food and French culture. We could have easily spent more time here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
#5 of 8 in St. Jean
Hotel Le Toiny
Hotel Le Toiny
#1 of 1 in Toiny

Been to Eden Rock - St Barths? Share your experiences!