“Good food, pleasing service”
Review of Ocean - CLOSED

Ocean
Cuisines: Caribbean, French, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“Good food, pleasing service”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Chose this restaurant because my partner had been to another restaurant (he does not recall the name, but this was more than 5 years ago) at the same location, and he had loved it. For starter he much preferred the former restaurant and also the menu selection. There were not many patrons and we were strategically seated close to the window, close to the other patrons.

My partner ordered the lobster salad for appetizer and beef tenderloin for his main course. I had the crayfish.

The waiters/ servers were very attentive and clearly wanted to please, despite their limited ability to communicate in English.

My parter ordered a rum and diet coke, and it had very little ice or rum. However, the server immediately noticed our displeased reaction, asked what was wrong and corrected the drink. We were asked to taste all repeat orders of the cocktail to ensure that we were satisfied.

The lobster salad was very tasty and beautifully presented. My parter enjoyed his beef but not the accompanying gnocchi (no fault of the chef, it's just not his thing). I had the best linguini ever, but the crayfish was not to my liking (the description from the waiter didn't match my expectation).
We finished off dinner with my partner having the chocolate bar and I, coffee with mini dessert. The chocolate bar was a hit with my partner and we overheard other patrons sharing the same sentiments. The coconut ice cream from my mini dessert was divine though the Madeline was sub standard.

Overall a great meal, good service, however we are unlikely to return as we didn't particularly like the menu choices.

1 Thank olrowe

Sarasota, Florida
“Welcome Ocean”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Ocean is a wonderful addition to the St. Barth's restaurant scene. Obviously the word is out because the night we were there the restaurant was packed and it has only been open a few weeks! The service was excellent.... The only problem being that their English was as bad as my French. Each dish was exceptional demonstrating the chef's obvious outstanding culinary talents!

BONNE CHANCE OCEAN AND WELCOME!

1 Thank Faith G
Paris, France
“Don't search further and rush to the "Ocean"”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

If you like fish cooking, so do not search further and rush to the « Ocean » restaurant.

Great fish cooking, very good service, charming and discrete servers, friendly and cosy atmosphere in the center of Gustavia. Good value for money (30€ – 50€ / person). Excellent choice of wines.

I highly recommend this restaurant for those who are looking for the real French cooking.

2 Thank Regis_91070
Toronto, Ontario
“Best in St Barth ”
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

What can I say. This place is about the Food. It makes the rest of Gustavia look bad. It is a suitable replacement for the now-defunct Au Port, only 10 times better. Avoid the pretentiousness of all others within a 100 foot radius and get the real thing! Bonne chance l'Océan!

1 Thank neoplop
Guildford, United Kingdom
“new fish restaurant in Gustavia”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Ocean opened 2 weeks ago in the premises once occupied by Le Sapotillier. It has nice light decor and well spaced tables.  The young french equipe are charming and show great attention to detail, such as during a power cut on the wet Gustavia night when we ate there.

The focus is on fish. Starters of a trio of ceviches of tuna and mahi mahi or lobster (langouste) burger were creative and stylish, substantial and full of flavour.  Main courses of marlin and mahi mahi were cooked to perfection and came with garnishing vegetables and sauces of passion fruit and vanilla butter.  An excellent dessert of baked mango came with sorbet and crumble.   The wine list was typical of St Barth and had enough range to suit all tastes and wallets.  Speaking of which prices were at the low end of what is typical on the island and portions were above average.  The total bill for the above meal - including a bottle of white cote du Rhone was €135.

We wish them well with a venture that may just fill the gap left by the former Gloriette  and for those with long memories of St Barth, the long extinct Vincent Adam