“Great restaurant, decent meal”
Review of Le Repaire

Le Repaire
Ranked #13 of 68 Restaurants in Gustavia
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located on St. Barth, French West Indies, overlooks Gustavia harbour, across from the ferry landing.
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Even though the food was just average, Le Repaire is a lovely restaurant with a great atmosphere and excellent service.

There are newer reviews for Le Repaire

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Having used Tripadvisor to find a good French restaurant close to our location, we hit the jackpot. The location is OK, the decor really nice, the service friendly.....but all was trumped by the food. The menu is interesting but I opted for the special, as they sounded so unusual. A 'lobster stew' with saffron and a soft boiled egg was just sensational.....followed by beef fillet slices with fresh vegetables and a sep mushroom sauce that was contained in a dome made from a single strand of wound spagetti. It was all divine. Oh.....my wife loved the roasted tuna too!

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Sit by the window and watch the world go past whilst enjoying a great french/asian mixed menu. Go early to get the roadside seats. Whilst a bustling town, this road is not too busy

Reviewed March 27, 2014

By sheer happenstance we stumbled into this scenic waterfront French restaurant in Gustavia, the capital of St Bart's in the French West Indies. Initially, my instincts warned me that this might be a tourist trap as it is right on the main drag through town near where the mega-yachts dock and cruise ship passengers come ashore, but I was pleasantly proved wrong. We were greeted at the entrance by a bi-lingual, friendly, and efficient staff who looked after all our needs throughout the meal. The menu is authentic French Bistro modified for the Caribbean, with a decent wine and drink list. Prices are quite reasonable considering the location, and the food was fantastic. I had a Foie Gras starter with Magret de Canard as the main course, and I thought I was in a Parisian Bistro; portions were perfect, the food tasty and well seasoned, with complex and interesting flavors ... all while overlooking the harbor. Certainly this was the best meal I have had in the Caribbean, and one of the best Bistro meals anywhere. I look forward to returning on future trips to St Bart's.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

On our trip to Grand Case, St. martin and environs this past January, my wife & I enjoyed an overnight trip to Gustavia, St. Barthelemy. We stayed one fantastic evening at Hotel Manapany, dining there in the evening, but the next day our plans to go a-visiting and possibly nude sunbathing on Grand Saline Beach were quashed by a report of showers at 80% likelihood. Having already visited Gouverneur Beach for our first days sunning enjoyment - and being caught in a surprise shower thereon (go check out my review of Gouverneur Beach for the full story) we decided that, since we had the rest of the week on St. Martin, we'd go sight-seeing, shopping and generally exploring either Gustavia or St. Jean. We ended up staying in Gustavia for no other reason than mere chance, not knowing to where we should go or what we should see.

As it happens when one goes exploring, one suddenly determines that a meal would be a great idea, and since it's a vacation, preferably a meal with access to the outside, maybe sun, definitely adult drinks, and hopefully some really good and comfortable food. We'd been walking back and forth, up and down the shopping district's streets in Gustavia for a couple hours when my stomach's growls got to the point where my wife laughed and decided she needed to feed me before I ate an elderly Swiss tourist.

Through absolutely no skill at all, mere chance, the first place we stuck our nose into was Le Repaire. And what a rewarding sensation our noses returned to us, wonderful scents and aromas of sizzling tender meats and fish, sauces, baking, and that interesting combination of a well aged and used bar in honest wood, where stiff drinks are poured, people laugh freely and often, sometimes too loudly, and generally enjoy themselves.

Le Repaire is such a place. The usual "Island Time" service doesn't seem to be in place on St. Barth's, I imagine that the prices move things right along, as do the very real possibility of one of the billionaires from the yachts dropping by for a snack or a drink. Our server was very obviously French, but couldn't have been from Paris itself, as he was smiling and laughing as he moved across Le Repaire's dining area to meet us at the door and guide us to one of his tables. We were sat with a view out the front of the restaurant/cafe, perhaps 6 feet from the sunshine beating down on the street. I was wondering if I'd made the right call about going to the beach when two clarifying things occured: 1) my first drink arrived (sort of like a Rum-runner, but different); and 2) it started to pound down shower one second clear and sunny, the next growing quite dreary, and within 3 more seconds a deluge.

Ahh, but we were inside, 6 feet under the overhang, and able to watch the drenching the pedestrians were getting in the soft comfort of a padded seat, with cool drink in hand, listening to my wife's laughing conversation with the couple next to us (from Iowa as it turned out, and the next table Calgary). An interesting observation. Tourists were frantically seeking an exit from the rain, and the "native" St. Barth's folks (I think nearly every one of them was actually from mainland Europe, not native islander) were merely stepping up the pace of their saunters. Tourists get inside, shake themselves off, laughing a lot, brushing off their clothing, etc. The folks of St. Barth's walking by would simply use a finger to wipe the water out of thir eyes and proceed as if nothing had happened at all. I guess it would be a regular event to get rained on while walking, right?

The Drinks. I had ordered the Rum-runner thingee, and my wife a Cosmo. She got it, and actually exclaimed when she tasted it. So impressed she was, she asked who had made it. The waiter took her over to the bar and introduced the mixologist, another Frenchman named ... oddly, Pedro. Maybe he'd changed his name. Anyway, she attempted to converse with him in her Rosetta Stone French, and he with her in his English learned in talking with Americans, Canadians and Englishmen on the island looking for a good drink, and they got along famously. He invited her behind the bar with him to watch him make her next one, and while the cafe wasn't nearly full, it delighted the patrons. A good time, and apparently typical of the hospitality and sense of fun that the staff of Le Repaire tend to offer. My second drink wasn't going to be another of the same, so I opted for what was on the drinks menu as a Tai Punch, which is an innocent-sounding "Amber rum on a bed of white sugar, with a twist of lime, served over ice." Right, no mixer, unless you count a bit of squeezed lime juice a mixer. But, I tried it. I don't know if it was the quality of the rum... but that drink is excellent! Boils down to straight rum on the rocks with a packet of sugar on the bottom, add lime wedge and done, but it's fantastic.

The Meal. Literally, a bacon cheeseburger and a club sandwich. I know you are asking.... "What? You're on St. Barth's and a club sandwich and a bacon burger is the best you can do? Is that all you got?" Well... yes. At the time, we had the big time dinner the previous evening, had been eating some strange hotel food the previous days while trying to get to the Caribbean, and it was all less than memorable. So, I suppose we both just wanted something easy, comfortable, familiar... and easy. Did I say easy. Right, easy. But, Le Repaire didn't just do a simple club sandwich and one's regular old bacon cheeseburger. My wife's club had a special sauce which resembled mayonnaise, but didn't seem to be. Turned out, it was a homemade aole (if UI spelled that right), with a spicy finish, all fresh veggies, and the meats were apparently rather custom and very tasty. My bacon cheeseburger was just that, but it resembled less your regular restaurant burger than one your favorite uncle would make for you in the backyard grill -- if that uncle was a professional chef in his day job. Absolutely fantatastic, really. Fries were the homemade steak style variety, and another Tai Punch finished off my afternoon on a pleasant note.

By this time it had stopped raining, and our meals were done. We could have easily spent the rest of the afternoon right there, it was so pleasant, but... there's that one nagging problem with being anywhere on St. Barth's, the tab. Total in for lunch meals for 2, with 2 Cosmos for her, a Rum-runner and 2 Tai Punch for me, plus tip.... wait for it.... 245€. Yowza!

Still, we had a Lot of fun, and when back on St. Barth's, we'll make a point to find Le Repaire once again.