“Heavenly!”
other traveler has booked this property
View from the porch
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
View from the porch
Evening cocktails by the pool
View from the cottage at sunset
Flamboyant Cottage and pool
Pool and Deck
Pool deck and porch
Pool deck
Gazebo and Kitchen Door
Copper ionization system keeps the pool clear without chlorine!
Flamboyant Tree
View from Flamboyant Cottage - Stacia, St. Kitts, Nevis
The Neighborhood - Booby Hill, Saba
Underwater View of Saba Marine Park
Saba from the air
Windwardside, Saba
Sunrise View from the Cottage - Stacia, St. Kitts, Nevis
A shy but friendly Sabian comes out to say hello.
A Quiet Night on Booby Hill
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Sydney, Canada
“Heavenly!”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 for a stay in August 2013
person found this review helpful

A return to this lovely cottage is on my bucket list! We got to enjoy only 2 days and nights in this cozy cottage with its gorgeous views but hope to someday return for at least a month. Four of us were accommodated very nicely. The rooms are small; each bedroom has an en suite bathroom. All of Saba uses cisterns for water, so conservation is necessary. Within a short time of arriving, we received a phone call from the property managers to see if we had settled in okay.
The cottage provided all amenities to prepare meals. We enjoyed eating in the gazebo.
We didn’t need to use the AC: there was always a pleasant breeze that cooled the air while we were there. The tree frogs were noticeably loud. I used ear plugs at night.
We enjoyed lolling in the little pool. It’s not big enough for laps, but still refreshing and relaxing.
People with mobility problems would find the setting a challenge: it is on a very steep hill and the street is very dark at night, but so is so much of Saba.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: transcendentalism
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
ProfCyraC...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Cottage in the Clouds”
Reviewed December 18, 2013 for a stay in December 2013
person found this review helpful

We spent a week at Flamboyant Cottage and it was a memorable and lovely stay. The cottage is a charming, traditional Saban structure with beautiful gingerbreading and detail. It has ample room for four adults, a full kitchen with a gas stove which is great for those who want to cook. The gas does leave residue on pots--it's an issue with the less clean burning gas available not the island--so don't be put off by the blackened pan bottoms. There are heavy duty stainless pots that are very good and all other necessities stocked so all that is required is some groceries. The gazebo/lanai is a perfect place to eat. If it is a bit windy or raining, give it about ten minutes and the weather changes!

One of the best features of the cottage is a pool with deck chairs looking out on the water. The pool is refreshing and the fact that there is a copper ionization treatment in place means that one does not have to put up with that horrible chlorine smell and stinging eyes. I thought the pool water was like swimming in a cool pond. It was fantastic.

In terms of where it is located, Flamboyant is about a 1 mile walk into Windward. The approach to the cottage itself is steep but short. The rest of the walk is charming and downhill. It is significantly uphill on the way back (of course) and those with joint issues are advised to take it slow. I have arthritic knees and I managed to get around okay.

Some reviewers have remarked on a few downsides. We found plenty of towels in our bathroom in the closet. There was extra toilet paper under the sink. This is a house that is eco-conscious. Water is a precious commodity so come prepared to be mindful about water usage. Also, while the island works on cistern system with fresh water conserved as much as possible, there is plenty of ambient water. In other words, it is humid. It's about as humid as any tropical country I've been to, and I've lived in a number of swamps and one large desert island. That said, it is cool, I never once felt the need for air conditioning. It would have been freezing had we switched on A/C in any mode except "dry". Humidity is a factor of most coastal lands so if this bothers you a lot (e.g., plenty of frizzy hair days, damp, etc)., you might pack good hair products, hair dryer, etc. And one last thing, pack Advil and other meds. They are quite serious when they tell you that meds are limited on the island. And pack good shoes that will see you through up and downhill climbs without dumping you on your posterior (flat, good traction and support).

All in all, an excellent stay and a beautiful little cottage in the clouds.

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway
saoirse7
roanoke, virginia
“not quite what I expected”
Reviewed June 4, 2012 for a stay in May 2012
people found this review helpful

Three of us spent a week on beautiful Saba for diving, hiking, and relaxation. I was looking forward to staying at Flamboyant Cottage based on the positive reviews and the lovely website. By the end of our stay, I was wondering if we had actually stayed at the same Cottage!
First, the positive. Flamboyant Cottage has gorgeous landscaping, with bushes in full bloom showing off bright reds and pinks everywhere. The gazebo is exactly as described; it was a great place to relax, eat dinner, listen to the tree frogs, and hang all our wet clothing to dry (on the two days that were actually sunny). The pool is rainwater and not treated, but is a perfectly crisp and refreshing temperature, and big enough for several people to float comfortably together. The internet was fast enough for us, and we never had problems accessing it.
If you need silence in order to sleep well, you will be in trouble on Saba...but if you like "white noise", as I do, then this island might just be heaven. Every night I fell asleep to the sound of wind, rain, and many many tree frogs. They blend into a soothing noise that will drown out all but the worst snoring and bumps-in-the-night.
One thing you should know (and the managers were very clear about this, so it was no surprise). The driveway to the Cottage, like the rest of Saba, is very steep. Most taxi drivers will not even come down, for fear of getting stuck trying to go back up. For most fit people this should pose no problem. If you have health issues, particularly knee or hip problems, this driveway will not be your friend.
Now, the negative. The Flamboyant Cottage website states that both bedrooms have a window AC unit. The website's picture of the "guest" bedroom even shows the unit sitting right there in the window between the beds. Not only was there NOT an AC unit in the room, but the manager said there has never been one! This was a problem not so much because of heat, but rather the high humidity. Rain fell every night and on most days, and the inside of the cottage was so damp that clothes and towels would not dry and got that icky mildew smell. Even our passports started curling around the edges from all the moisture in the air.
The cell phone that the managers provided was completely dead. Saba has a rather interesting phone system, and most taxi drivers can only be contacted using a cell phone. Luckily, one of us was able to walk up to the end of the driveway and get reception on our US phone.
Sitting on the kitchen counter in plain view was an envelope requesting "tips for the housekeeper". Silly me, that led me to believe that there was a housekeeper! Nope. Clean towels never found their way to us, and mid-week we had to track down one of the managers at his restaurant to get more toilet paper.
The Cottage was not nearly as clean for our visit as it seems to have been for others. Pots and pans were dirty. Bedsheets and bathmats had obvious stains. We fought a constant battle against ants and little worms. Think that's uncomfortable? Try waking up in the middle of the night to find a roach in your bed. I did, and it wasn't amusing.
I understand that this is an island, and bugs happen, as do rain and humidity. I understand that sometimes AC units malfunction and sometimes batteries die. But the website needs to accurately reflect the amenities of the cottage, and if the manager promises a cell phone that is necessary for island communication, is it so hard to make sure that it works before guests arrive? The customer service did not impress me. And I would certainly be embarrassed to invite people into my own home if it was no cleaner that the cottage was for us.
That being said, Saba in general is a fantastic place. The locals are amazingly friendly, the diving is just what I dreamed it would be, and the views from the top were always worth the hike, clouds or not. I also took away an appreciation for water conservation; water is indeed a precious resource. I will definitely go back. I'll just stay somewhere else next time.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the landscaping around the Cottage. Simply beautiful.
Liked least: the overall lack of cleanliness
Traveling group: With Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
Jun 3, 2012
We are sorry to learn that you felt your stay at Flamboyant Cottage was less than satisfying. We do want to respond to some of the things you mention in your review.

Flamboyant Cottage is a traditional Saban cottage, perched at 1500 ft. elevation over the Caribbean Sea, on a very small island that is frequently engulfed in cloud. The traditional architecture of the cottage is designed to catch the breezes coming off the sea, and is not designed for the effective use of air conditioning. The units that were in the cottage went unused for so long they were no longer functional, so we had them removed. We are in the process of updating the website regarding the air conditioning and we do apologize for that.

THE WATER IN THE POOL IS TREATED, but not with chemicals. We use a copper ionization system that sanitizes the water and kills bacteria and algae without chlorine or other harsh chemicals. This is easier on our guests’ skin and hair, and is much easier on the environment.

We acknowledge the existence of bugs on Saba, some of which enter the cottage. The ants are an invasive species from South America, and are extremely hard to get rid of. Pretty much every cottage on the island has this problem. Other insects (and the occasional anole lizard) do get into the cottage, often because we and our guests leave the doors open to take advantage of the breezes. One thing Saba does NOT have are mosquitoes, which makes leaving the cottage open all the more pleasant.

As we state in our pre-arrival information, the cell phone signal at the cottage is weak, and that to get a stronger signal you have to go up to The Road. This has to do with where the cottage sits relative to the towers, and there is nothing we can do about that.

We checked our records and we did have an email exchange with you about the steepness of the hill leading up to The Road. We are sorry if this proved to be a problem, but we did warn you about it.

There is a large supply of clean bath towels and pool towels in the cottage along with extra rolls of toilet paper and paper towels. We are sorry you were unable to locate these items. Most of our guests prefer to be undisturbed during their stay at the cottage, but our property managers can easily arrange for cleaning service on request, and we state this in the guest information binder in the cottage.. We will include a mention of that on our updated website.

Sherry Marts and Larry Haller

Reviewed March 7, 2011 for a stay in December 2010

Traveling group: Family with teenagers
Your age range 45-54
Young singles Friends getaway
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Families with teenagers Tourists
Large groups Luxury-minded travelers
Rugged travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing