“Great place, love the view”
Review of El Momo Cottages

El Momo Cottages
Arva
“Great place, love the view”
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We had a lovely time at El Momo. I rate the room as "Excellent" because it was exactly what we were looking for (i.e. no TV, no phones, no marble, etc), but some may think this a sparse (there was internet but we did not use it). The cabin was private and the view from our shower was great.

The island geography requires a lot of going up and down hills and steps and El Momo is no exception. The walk to and from the village of Windwardside is enjoyable (we made friends with some of the local goats) and safe.

The owner, Andries, cooks and serves most of the meals. They are moderately priced and the quality of the food was above average compared to the restaurants in town. Homemade bread and yogurt for breakfast was fantastic.

Andries is a real gentleman. All in all a great place for peace and quiet.

Murray & Beth
March 2011

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
wedowee
Reviewed March 23, 2011

I was awakened after we went to bed by my wife screaming that there was something crawling on her. Lights on revealed a Millipede about 2 inches long. We tried to go back to sleep and felt others crawling in the bed with us. I had 4 crawling on me in the night and could not sleep. My wife also could not sleep. In the morning we looked in the bed and found that we had both rolled over and smashed several more in the bed.
I stay in about 100 rooms per year and in my entire life I have never had this bad of an experience. We could not stay here with these millipede worms. The next morning we went to check out and the owner/manager (Andries) said that we would have to pay for three nights, because we had a reservation . I told him that I would not and he already had my credit card and was going to charge for three nights. I told him that I would refute the charges with my credit card company.
I do not know how anyone could stay in this place with this millipede infestation. It was not fun having them crawl on us all night long.
Do not stay here. It was horrible.

4 Thank bmay767er
Kansas
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I am a medical student living on the local island of St. Eustatius and took the opportunity to travel to Saba for a long weekend. The island was booked and I found this open space at El Momo. I had done no reading, research, or pricing onto my stay. I'm a little picky and tend to stay in 4 star resorts where I can lock myself in and sleep. Imagine my pleasant surprise when I found myself hiking up a grand flight [read Epic] flight of stairs into heaven! I felt like a kid again doing amazing 'gourmet' camping. Super comfy Scandanavian designed sleeping (yes, it's european style which means the beds will be pushed together. I don't care where you stay in europe or what you pay, you'll get two beds next to each other) and the most heavenly pillows ever. It is 'primitive' but it's like eco-glam amazing fun. Incredible view, flowers and a breeze. I live here all year around and was incredibly comfortable without AC. If you want to get cool, get in the pool.

The restaurant is not traditional: it looks out over a fabulous view of the Caribbean sea, uninterrupted. It's got a reasonably priced honor bar stocked with various drinks and light snacks. Sit, have a drink, play a game and watch the sun set. Your host, Andries will pop in and out {remember, this is one person running a small local hotel--he can't be everywhere at once, nor does he want to. This trip is about your privacy and solace, not having your personal hotelier} and he will take care of you. Even if you live on Saba, this is a fabulous place for the beginning of a date bottle of wine.

Yes, the walk up is an Epic hike. Don't do it if you're out of shape or disabled. Do it if you want to lose weight and have a grand time. Bring water. And have fun with it. This is a place of fun and adventure, not for the stuffy whiney, weenie travelers. I had so much fun.

I had forgotten how to relax and be at peace. I happened to be there the night of the largest full moon and total eclipse in 20 years and had the most magical incredible experience reconnecting with nature and myself. This is the place for that. You stand a good chance of learning to reconnect with nature here.

Yes, taxi's are expensive. This is all over the island--rental cars cost more and the driving on Saba requries a skilled and delicate hand to navigate steep and hairpin turns. If you don't want to pay, walk. I guarantee after you walk the epic stairs will be the least of your worries. Your host doesn't dictate the cost of the taxi's; they are pre set.

I didn't go to dive because I live in the island of the world's best diving. I went to read, eat, sleep and find the better parts of myself that got lost during medical school. I highly recommend taking Jo Bean Chamber's glass bead class from some relaxing play with fire and a fabulous meal at Eden--sensual, intimate and incredible service. This is the place to take a date.

All in all I had the most splendid time. I had no intentions of returning to the Caribbean for a vacation but after a short weekend at El Momo and the fabulous care and adventure received I have every intention to return again.

Thank you, El Momo and Andries for such a fabulous, unique visit.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Minnesota
Reviewed March 16, 2011

At El Momo, we found what is often advertised but seldom exists: a tranquil, private, beautiful (and affordable!) getaway from life's daily stress. Imagine complete privacy coupled with gorgeous sea views. Falling asleep amidst refreshing breeze, to the sound of tree frogs. Waking up to days of great scuba diving, or lazy reading in a hammock, or hiking in the rain forest. Watching incredible sunsets from your deck. No TV, phone to disrupt your vacation - and no cruise ships or chain restaurants to make this place look like any other. The greatest host ever (Andries) to help you with every question and to make you feel like VIPs. We stayed at the Cottage in the Sky - yes, there are steps to climb, but they are manageable and the cottage location and views are so worth it! Folks in not-so-great shape (like us) take a break mid-way on the restaurant terrace and the climb feels shorter. Lessons learned from this trip: do not overpack, bring only casual clothes. Don't worry about running out of reading material - you can borrow books from Andries in English, Dutch, German and French. There are only a handful of restaurants on the islands, all very good although a bit pricey. Definitely visit the restaurant at Ecolodge! Thanks, Andries, for a warm welcome in the Caribbean!

Loomis, California
Reviewed March 4, 2011

Spent three nights in their highest cottage. Andries was a great host, provided tourist info, helped carry luggage, and made good breakfasts. This isn't the Hilton, it does require some uphill walking with luggage, but the views are too die for, including the chance to see a green flash over the ocean. You are buried in greenery, in a very open room. Feels like camping in nature. Room has kitchenette, two outdoor seating areas, and it is quiet. Loved it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed March 1, 2011

My college roommate and I wanted to have a vacation to remember since we have been friends for almost 50 years and have been all over the world together doing ordinary things. Well, when she told me she had always wanted to go to Saba island I said "where"? So she found El Momo cottages (her last name is Elmo so where else could we stay?) and booked a cottage for 8 nights. We arrived and began our climb. Fortunately we were rescued by Andries who gallantly carried our suitcases to our Sunshine Cottage as we huffed and puffed our way to our darling cottage in the tropical delight in our paradise for the next 8 nights. Andries and his new assistannt, Peter, made our week absolutely delightful as they catered to our every whim, making us feel like family. What a fabulous time we had! El Momo was located in the perfect spot and the scenery was breath-taking. Breakfasts prepared by our hosts were delicious so we started our days with proper fueling to tackle the strenuous climbs we were not used to in our daily lives in the states. We loved El Momo and the people we met on Saba. The food was fabulous, Donna and her taxi service and tour was suberb, and the Harbor was buzzing with activity, especially when the cement truck lost its brakes and took out In Two Deep and the Stained Glass Windows! Glad no one was killed!
Thanks to Andries and Peter at El Momo for making our lives alot brighter and for showing us what Sunshine really means, as the Sunshine Girls stayed in the Sunshine Cottage for a week of wonder! Anyone who misses this, hasn't lived.

Thanks Andries and Peter!

Love,

Leslie Howe (and Sally Elmo too of course!)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Oak Island
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Tiny airstrip, hairpin curves, steps that go on forever. That's your introduction to an adventure in Paradise. El Momo cottages and the owner, Andries, and staff, Peter, welcome you with open, (and luckily for us, strong) arms, wide grins and hospitality that is delightful! Our pristine cottage offered views of blue waters, mountain peaks, streaked sunsets,and even a picture-perfect full moon. Breakfasts on the covered patio and our special dinners with fellow guests were a wonderful international affair! (And delicious too!) Treat yourselves to something a bit different next time you travel, and have a Saba Island experience at El Momo!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windwardside
The Old Gin House
#4 of 4 in Windwardside
Selera Dunia Boutique Hotel
Selera Dunia Boutique Hotel
#2 of 4 in Windwardside

Been to El Momo Cottages? Share your experiences!