“Beautiful quiet beach but not an easy hiking trail”
Review of Rendezvous Beach

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I hiked over to Rendezvous Bay from Little Bay at about 11 am. The trail starts behind the concrete block storage area, just inland from where you leave the port area. Admittedly I am over 60, although I am fit and in very good shape, but I have to say the trail is by no means easy or fast. It's apparently not used enough; when I was there in May 2012 the trail was extremely narrow and somewhat overgrown, not very well-maintained really. It was actually quite a challenging adventure, and a tiny bit risky in places.

Most of the trail is literally only as wide as a goat trail (about 1 foot wide), and the great majority of it is steep and consist of hairpin bends, both going up and going down. As I went along, I did some needed trail maintenance myself, moving loose rocks out the way, and snapping off twigs that were poking out too much.

The day I was there it was raining and the air was very humid, therefore in the muddy places the trail was more slippery than usual I am sure, but it took me just under an hour to do the trail, stopping at the top to sit down and have my lunch: a bottle of water and a sandwich that I had brought with me. My legs were already tired when I got down to the beach, and I wasn't relishing the idea of having to walking back up and over again after a couple of hours.

I am sure that if you are in very good shape, and the day is dry and sunny, and you start out early in the morning when it is cool, and you know the trail, then everything would be much easier and faster, but honestly I find it hard to believe that a person could do this whole trail in 20 minutes, as one other reviewer suggested.

I was grateful that some very nice people from the Bank of Montserrat (who were having an outing) gave me a lift in a dinghy back to Little Bay. I my experience, Montserratians are really lovely people, friendly and sweet!

The beach is quite nice (yellow sand not white sand) and I am certain that the snorkeling would be very good there, but on the day I was there, the rain was too heavy to make that worthwhile.

3  Thank invertpaleo

Reviewed May 10, 2012

a 30 minute hike over ridge reveals and remote beach with high rock walls with seabirds soaring high above. Beautiful blue waves gently crash on the tan sand beach surrounded by tropical vegitation

Reviewed April 1, 2012

While you can reach Rendevous in 5-10 minutes by kayak, you'll appreciate your first visit more if you hike in. The hike offers some great views and really builds the sense of journeying to a secret, secluded place. For your second visit, bring the kayak to explore the rugged coast north of Rendevous--at low tide if possible.

Reviewed March 6, 2012

The hike over the saddle takes 20 to 45 minutes, depending on your fitness level. Or rent some kayaks from the Green Monkey Dive Shop at the beach in Little Bay.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

We hiked over the hill with our athletic seven year old at 8:30 in the morning and back again for a late lunch. It is the only white sand beach on Montserrat and we had it all to ourselves. Lovely crashing breakers to play in, beautiful views from the crest of the hill on the way there and back. There are no facilities of any kind on the beach so be sure to bring water.

2  Thank seilenna