“a lovely place”
Review of Gingerbread Hill

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montserrat
Gingerbread Hill
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Montserrat
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I spent a week with my family at Gingerbread Hill with my family, and it looks like the other reviewers have described it very well. The Leas were really excellent hosts, and their personal touch made our stay special. Their two-bedroom villa was beautiful: spacious, with a ridge-top view, private, and well-ventilated by the trade winds. (It also had a very decent kitchen, laundry, and a solid internet connection.)

We were very happy to have taken Sunny Lea's Montserrat tour: we learned a lot about the island. He was generous with his time, and our excursion with him into the abandoned fringe of Plymouth was a highlight.

I think their photo of the property doesn't quite do it justice.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gdenham

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Nicest host couple in the Caribbean, hands-down. They take you to and from the tiny airport at no extra charge, stopping at grocers and roadside eateries along the way so that you have provisions. They happily arrange tours to the exclusion zone or the you to the Volcano Observatory themselves. A pretty beach is a 15-minute walk away and the village is just up the hill. Biggest surprises were NO MOSQUITOS and awesome, fast WiFi. Stay here. :)

Room Tip: Ask for Mango Cottage, privacy, a kitchen, your own veranda and your own little bungalow for the sam...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Phillyjanie
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed with the Leas in Gingerbread Hill's Heavenly Suite for my 40th birthday in January 2013. We honeymooned in Antigua 10+ years ago, but Montserrat is like another world. It's hard to put into words the experience we had.... I will always hold our trip to Montserrat close to my heart :) The people of Montserrat are warm, welcoming, and hard working. The Leas were fantastic in answering all my questions before we arrived (and I had a lot of them). Despite the fact that their daughter in law was literally about to have a baby at any moment, David and his family were totally available. We took a tour with Sonny (their son) - highly recommend it! We rented one of the Jeeps from the Leas and enjoyed exploring the island (although the roads can be a bit crazy and you drive on the "wrong" side of the road lol). David took us to town so that my husband could get his driver's license (I think it was $20). The Heavenly Suite is beyond compare -- you feel like you are totally alone on the island, the views are amazing, the veranda is perfect for watching sunrises, sunsets, and the stars. We felt so safe on the island. One word of caution - if you are a light sleeper (I am), be sure to use earplugs. There are a ton of roosters on Montserrat and they tend to be confused on when to crow lol. If you're up for a challenge, do the hike to Rendezvous Beach. It was a hard hike, but worth it. Bring a picnic lunch and towels to sit on (and lots of water for the hike). Def try some of the homemade ice cream made on the island --- the mango & guava were so good. The rum punch was refreshing no matter where you sampled it and the little gas station has amazing homemade Indian food. Here are all of our photos from the trip -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/chuckstanley/sets/72157632621793960/

We hope to return very soon - I don't think anywhere else can compare to our experience in Montserrat. Maureen & Chuck, New Jersey

Room Tip: The Heavenly Suite had the most breathtaking views.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maureen S
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We flew in (on the 6 seater plane) from Antigua early morning and arranged a day trip with Sunny Lea, the owner of Gingerbread Hill. The day was a joy. Sunny's has more than expert knowledge of the island. You will be given a window into politics and history, including hurricanes, volcano's and music (come with the knowledge that Montserrat was huge for Rock in the 80's). If you come make sure he stops at his father's coffee shop, it is a museum of the island, with more than just great coffee. If you travel to Antigua, I would say this should be your top attraction.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DittoD
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I went to Montserrat with my brother and nephew to see how the island has changed since the volcanic eruptions, my family having once had a home there.
We found Clover Lea to be a wonderful contact. She arranged tours and a car for us, picked us up and took us back to the airport, and arranged for us to get a barbecue chicken carryout dinner on the first night. Gingerbread Hill was perfect for us. We had the Heavenly Suite, which has a beautiful view (accessible by outside stairway only) and is well-furnished, and we also rented the unit on the main floor. The main floor bedroom is nice, the second room is small and basic, but has a shower/bath and good air circulation. A nice touch is the two person rocker/swing on the deck.

Full kitchen in both units. Laundry facilities. As with many island homes, there is no AC, as it is generally not needed. There are ceiling fans in the bedrooms. No Pool.

Did not go in the cottage or the backpacker unit, but they do not have a view and may not have the breeze.
The main floor unit also has a beautiful view of the coastline to both the north and the south. This is the tropical part of the island, the volcano is not visible from this lodging.

I thought the price was quite reasonable, the hosts were acomodating and available but not intrusive. Clover answered all of my email questions in advance, and, unlike most businesses on the island, they do take credit cards.
I would definitely recommend Gingerbread Hill, and plan on returning with my wife. It really is the Caribbean like it used to be: it felt like coming home.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank DCTraveler058
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I spend some nights here and although I had booked the cheapest option, upon seeing the other one I decided to choose for the Villa for a couple of nights and then the last night in the Mango Cottage. We had email contact before that and even negotiated about the price of the Villa incase I would like that one. So when I changed to the Villa I expected that price, but instead she said that it was higher because now she had to clean it a bit and make it fine for me to stay in. Bit of a strange additude which has been mentioned by a few others...mixed feelings about the people etc. But all in all enjoyed it and their son Sunny is a great guy and we did a few trips across the island. Mango Cottage is not that great, but Villa definately is!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank MichaelBurm
Clover L, Owner at Gingerbread Hill, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Hi! I was really surprised and so sorry to read that you were less than pleased with your stay at Gingerbread Hill. In our email correspondence, I had suggested that you might be happier in the Villa - with a discount, than in the Mango Cottage. And that did, indeed, end up being the case when you arrived. The previous guests at the Villa had left just over an hour before you arrived, and because you had decided, after our email discussions, to stick with reserving the Cottage, I had scheduled my helper to come and help me clean and prepare the Villa on the following day...(as I had no reservations for it for for the day of your arrival.)

I had asked you repeatedly if you were certain that you did not want the Villa, at our discussed reduced rate...as I would have had it ready, with help, for your arrival... had you reserved it. As it happened, you still did pay quite a reduced rate for it for the days you were there.

Again, I'm very sorry you were not completely happy, and that you felt my attitude was anything less than friendly and hospitable. We honestly do try to be sure our guests are comfortable and happy, because that makes us happy! We love to share this beautiful place, that we feel very blessed to call our home, with others! It is possible that the reason I appeared discouraged or disappointed or distant was that I had developed a hip problem and was in quite a bit of pain, and was going to need to hurry to get the Villa ready for you on short notice...(and I was not getting around at a very fast pace at all at that point.) That may not be a good excuse, as it should not have shown that I was a bit distressed.

Again, I am very sorry that you were not 100% satisfied in every way with your stay here, and if there's anything we can do to rectify the situation, please write us and let us know.

Blessings to you and yours,

Clover

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We can highly recommend Gingerbread Hill to anyone who wants a quiet, laid-back Caribbean island experience. The weather was perfect; the trade winds cooling, and the hosts and staff exceptional. We will certainly return.

We are ham radio operators who wanted a unique vacation in a unique location. Gingerbread Hill fit the bill perfectly. We stayed in the Heavenly Suite, which is on the top floor of a three floor, self-catering villa. The lower lever houses the Backpacker Suite, and the middle floor is a two bedroom apartment suited for families or two couples. The Heavenly Suite is suited for one couple. Check out the Gingerbread Hill website for more information.

The villa is HAM friendly. Which means that there is equipment and antennas available for use by radio amateurs. This is wonderful because you do not have to carry equipment with you which is cumbersome. The Lea's have found a niche market here. Radio amateurs from around the world rent their facility. The equipment is all stored in boxes and cartons in the Heavenly Suite. You simply unpack it; set up the dipoles you want; raise the tower with the beam, and are good to go and ready to get on the air. The only caveat is that you must return all equipment to the cartons and restore the area to non-ham functionality. Non hams rent the place as well and all the equipment needs to be stored away.

The Lea's were exceptional hosts. Anything we needed for our stay they went out of their way to provide. We were very happy with the accomodation, cooking facilities, maid/cleaning but most especially the VIEW! The veranda offers spectacular views to the west and we never missed a sunset. They have cars available for rent and we took advantage of this. We traveled the island, exploring Montserrats many nooks and crannies.

Room Tip: The Heavenly Suite has a king bed with a huge window and a view to die for.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Cristina4548

Been to Gingerbread Hill? Share your experiences!