“Little Corner of Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gingerbread Hill

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montserrat
Gingerbread Hill
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Montserrat
Stamford, Connecticut
“Little Corner of Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had the privilege of staying in the Heavenly Suite at Gingerbread Hill in October of 2010. Looking at the current reviews of the property, not much has changed. We wanted an "off the beaten path" holiday in a beautiful place, and Montserrat and the Gingerbread Hill delivered.

The reservations process was easy, emailing with Clover and Kristina. I had provided my flight details, and David picked us up at the airport. He recognized us right away. We were later told that we were two of the five tourists on the island at the time (I think scientists outnumbered tourists about 4 to 1 at the time). David assisted us with some driving paperwork, and stopped in for groceries and a quick bite at John's shack before taking us "home."

The Heavenly Suite met our expectations and is appropriately named. It is airy, clean and has a patio and rooftop that has some of the nicest views we have experienced. There is a kitchen, living room and bedroom, as well as outside patio/dining area and upstairs / rooftop terrace. even though we were traveling heavy, there was ample room for our bags.

We rented the car and used it for the week. Driving around the island was not difficult (though I did have experience driving on the left).

The bed was very comfortable, and windows right above it were a special treat. We would sleep with the windows open, which was scary at first, but WOW. We did get a bit of the rooster noise that others have spoke of, but you get used to it after the 2nd or 3rd night. And once when they did wake me up at 3am, I looked out the window and had to awaken my wife, because the stars were sooo beautiful. No moon and a black sky yielded more stars than I have ever seen, all from the comfort of bed.

The bathroom was sufficient. It is by no means the Amanpuri, but the shower worked and had a small window. Once during our stay we did not have hot water, but David was quick to address this and we got it back very quickly.

An avid diver, I dove with Green Monkey almost daily during our weeklong stay. Often times I was the only diver but Troy still ran the trips. A few times I was joined by a scientist who happened to be there. We took the Plymouth boat trip which was eye opening. The diving in Montserrat was great on good days, and terrible on bad days. The current and wind direction have a lot to do with the visibility, as the ash clouds up the water. On the good days, the diving was some of the best I have done in the area.

We did the Island tour with Sunny which was superb and highly recommended. We also did a hike with a local guide, which was also great, though his name eludes me at the moment.

We made use of the cash machine on island which gave us a reasonable exchange rate and easy access to cash.

For eating, my favorite place was the Gourmet Gardens, though some might consider it "touristy" (if there is such a thing on Montserrat) and a bit pricey. Chef/owner Mariet was there each time and extremely friendly. One night when the power went out while she was cooking, it was no problem, the candles were already lit and the kitchen is gas powered. Dinner was as excellent as other nights.

We also ate at Olveston House which was a real treat. Food was good, drinks were good and service was good, if a bit slow (it is the Caribbean). Photographs from Montserrat's good times were on display, including a few Autographed photos taken by Linda McCartney. What a treat.

Peoples Place and Tinas were both good, though by about the third night I was getting tired of the Island's typical "Chicken or Fish or Ribs" offerings. Ponts Beach View was nice too, ate here a few times while diving with the Green Monkey.

If I had to pick something to nitpick about, it would be the beaches. There was a beautiful beach by the nature walk at Little Bay, but we were disappointed by the others. Perhaps our expectations in this area were set a little high, considering the neighboring islands. Or perhaps the really good beaches are in the exclusion zone.

In closing, our trip to Montserrat hit the spot for an adventure in a paradisiacal place that was off the beaten path. The beautiful accommodations and superb hospitality of the Gingerbread Hill Heavenly Suite and the Lea family perfectly complimented the natural beauty of the island and the people, and made this a holiday to be remembered. We hope to visit again, even though we now live on the other side of the planet. I highly recommend The Heavenly Suite at Gingerbread Hill.

Room Tip: The Heavenly Suite is aptly named.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank albertinnyc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Jonesboro, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was originally booked into the Bunkum Beach Guest House. When I landed, Kristina, who together with her husband Sunny, own the guest house and meet guests at the airport, informed me that, unfortunately, four of their guests had been suddenly stranded because their airline cancelled their flight back to the U.S. due to Tropical Storm Isaac. So she drove me to Sunny’s parents’ guest house --Gingerbread Hill--- where I stayed in a nice room for the night. I was scheduled to fly out the next afternoon as I was just island-hopping. It was a nice room -- clean, twin beds, refrig, microwave, nice bathroom, 110v electricity, TV , good Wi-Fi signal, and books. The owners, David and Clover Lea, and sons Noah and Sky, lived up the driveway which I got to meet when I arrived. They were very friendly and helpful. They also have other more luxurious accommodations on the property. I had previously arranged a tour of the island and David took me on a half day tour of the northern part of the island that afternoon. The following day, Sunny took me on a half day tour of the southern part where the volcano and Exclusion Zone is located, including a stop at the observatory and a drive into the Exclusion Zone near Plymouth, the abandoned capital. When I told Sunny I liked old cemeteries, he also stopped at some along the way so I could wander around and take pictures of interesting inscriptions. I also enjoyed reading a book of poems that Clover has published. Both her and David are very artistic and creative. The saying on their website is “Come as a guest. Leave as a friend.” That's very true!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Frank H
Napa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Gingerbread Hill was recommended by friends, and it more than lived up to their praise. I had the whole top floor. From the patio and the bedroom, the awesome view overlooked much of the island, including views of the sea and Redonda. There was a very well equipped kitchen, and a comfortable living room with TV. David Lea, the owner, picked me up at the airport, and when he showed me the room, he also set up the TV for me to watch his very well done video covering the volcanic eruption. This video is available at the volcano observatory, titled "The Price of Paradise." Gingerbread Hill accommodations range from the floor I had, a floor below that, another cottage, and a backpacker building - not available when I was there. When David picks you up at the airport, he will stop at one or two grocery stores for you to pick up food. He also returns you to the airport when you leave. Sunny Lea took me and a young Chinese tourist I'd met on the plane (the smallest commercial plane I've ever been on!) on a tour of the island the next day. We saw a lot of the general life on the island, but the best was last - entry into the exclusion zone, and the edge of the town of Plymouth, a modern day Pompeii. Plymouth was completely destroyed by the volcanic eruptions, which began in 1982. The volcano is still active, and entering the exclusion zone is closely monitored.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Arosio, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

I was on the island 7 days of meeting, guest Clover and David. I stayed in the "villa" in April with a colleague. The villa was a surprise: spacious, clean, with all sorts of comforts that you need.
The kitchen is furnished with all appliances, living room with sofa and television, two bedrooms (and bathroom) with excellent beds...but the most amazing thing is the veranda!!!
The villa is surrounded by nature, if you want to relax is the right choice!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
St. Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed in the villa in late January. The first day I could not leave the large balcony with its fabulous view over the blue caribbean at 900+ feet. The villa is very accommodating with full kitchen and strong wifi signal. It also has 120volt ac, which I didn't expect. I hope to be able to complete my oil on canvas which I started while on that balcony. Montserrat offers no glitz or glamour, but a few very good low key restaurants. The hike over to rendezvous beach is very rewarding. The tour given by Sunny was a true revelation of the power of nature and the tragic loss this island endured. The Lea's were very helpful and knowledgeable about their caribbean home.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

We chose this accommodation based on the online reviews (as well the Lea family's video tour) and were not disappointed. This is probably the most amazing place we've ever stayed. My mom, daughter and I had the "villa". It is mostly an open porch, which we loved, with ceiling fans and cross breezes. The views were amazing. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. The Lea family are all very helpful and friendly. The tour with Sunny was amazing! It was incredible to see nature at work, in the volcano and it's destruction. Also had a boat tour with some friends of the Lea family, who also do Scuba and Kayak trips (the names are slipping my mind now, a lovely couple). Montserrat is a fascinating place to visit, especially if you like nature and like to NOT be around lots of other tourists.

The only downside is the local chickens who seem to wake earlier and earlier as the moon waxes. But still. That is a small price to pay and you do get used to them after awhile. Plus there are earplugs in jars by the bed if you need them.

Really a great place. Highly recommended. I would certainly go back.

Room Tip: not applicable for 'pool' as there isn't one - beach is a hike away but we didn't go...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

We stayed at Gingerbread Hill from March 29-April 5. I won't write a long review because previous reviews have said it all. This accommodation is wonderful, and we thank the Lea Family for their kind hospitality. We highly recommend the destination of Montserrat and the accommodations at Gingerbread Hill. We stayed in the 'Heavenly Suite' - the views - no words can describe the beauty and tranquility. If you are looking for a relaxing, laid back holiday - this is for you. Montserrat is a very special place - so, just go!! and enjoy - we hope to be back.

PS - take the island tour with the Lea's son, Sunny - it's great!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beachesanytime
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montserrat
Royal Palms
#6 of 15 in St. John's
Paradise Beach Nevis
Paradise Beach Nevis
#4 of 7 in Nevis

Been to Gingerbread Hill? Share your experiences!