“Great place for holiday”

Club Med Buccaneer's Creek
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Sainte-Anne
GreenLeadersBronze level
Paris, France
“Great place for holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

My impression for the club was that it offered great service, variety of activities around the site and of course superb créole food. The spa is a bit too expensive but I could understand the business given that the products were all Payot. I recommend this club if you're looking for a quiet place and secluded beach for your next holiday. For me, the food is what I really concerned at the beginning but it's better than I expected. Large choices of sea food, salads, cocktails etc..and the menus were changed every day.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the "Tower". Great view of the Caribbean.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank lapoupee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
North Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is the third club we’ve been to in the past few years and by far the least welcoming in my experience. The GOs were very anti-social; no fostering friendships here! Nathalie, the Chef du Village, was perfectly friendly when you saw her around the resort, but that’s the only person on staff whose name we actually learned. The rest were so unfriendly (well 2 of the tech guys would smile & nod or say hello if I said it first, but that was it, never even had a conversation with either of them). The GOs mostly sat with each other in one of the side dining rooms, the ones we did see in the other rooms were consistently the same GOs and they sat with the same people each time. If they did manage to sit in one of the main dining areas, they arrived so early and ate so fast they were gone before the rest of the table was full; effectively ensuring they had no contact with the GMs they’re paid to socialize with. We expected to hear a lot of French, and most people we encountered at the bar and in the main restaurant could understand and speak a little English, so we had no issues with that at all.

The food was just fine, lots of variety and options for non-meat eaters. The seafood options weren’t quite as good as I expected for an island resort, but they were edible. The bar ran out of mint on Thursday and by Friday they were out of orange juice, so no mojitos or tequila sunrises for the rest of the stay. That would be fine except the rest of the mixed drinks were just not well made. If it had rum in it that’s all you tasted (I guess because it’s so cheap there). The juices were great; we loved the exotic juice cocktail and had it whenever it was available. If you are a coffee drinker, go to the bar and have them make you something espresso based, it is way better than the stuff they have in the dining areas.

The beach was really nice, and as some reviewers mentioned, you do need to get out early to save a spot under the umbrellas. I would suggest taking a personal item in addition to your towel (they are all the same, so it can be easy to forget where you left your own as everyone else's looks exactly the same), there was some confusion one morning when we came to the beach after breakfast. I didn’t leave my sarong that day, and later on another couple came through thinking it was their spot instead. Having the sarong on at least one chair with the towels avoided the confusion later. The one good thing was that if you didn’t get an umbrella, you could find a shady spot under some palm trees. The water was a little too shallow during low tides, but it was perfect for a quick wade to cool off and once the tide came in later in the afternoon it was deep enough for a swim. There is a lot of sea grass though and if you’re wading you must be watchful for urchins and other poking things. My husband did get to see some neat sea life while snorkeling just off the beach. We did not do any snorkeling trips with the club. Our main complaint about the beach is that there is no real beach bar like other clubs have. If you are on one side of the resort and want a drink, you must walk to the main bar (it could take a half hour with the walk and the wait). Overall the club is way too spread out to NOT have a beach bar somewhere else. There is also no real beach volleyball court, yes there is a sand court, but it is not actually on the beach, but tucked away somewhere else. We saw it once but weren’t able to find it again.

We did the Saint Pierre half day excursion through the club and that was very nice. It’s a long half day, I would suggest maybe adding a place to eat somewhere in there or even a cooler with some chips or fruit. It could be as simple as a café in town or some food stand on the way back. The guide was really nice (I think, she spoke mostly in French, luckily we had another English speaker on the tour that was able to translate for us) she did understand some English and did her best to make sure my husband and I felt included. We stopped at the Botanical Gardens and spent about an hour. If you really enjoy those kinds of things, maybe try to rent a car and spend some more time. It's worth taking more than an hour to see everything. We felt a little rushed and the signs can be a little confusing when you're trying to find a way out. Also keep in mind all the information is in French. The day we happened to be in Saint Pierre was Emancipation Day for the island, so it was a very festive atmosphere with lots of parades and rallies. We enjoyed taking a small part in one of the parades as we walked to see our next stop. The Volcano Museum was small but really interesting; we spent the longest time there reading all the information. The theatre and prison ruins were a little anticlimactic but still were neat to see. There were other ruins being dug out as well along the main street in town which added a little bit to the already limited ruins available to check out. We did get a late start coming back, and it put us back to the club about 15 minutes before they closed lunch service. Our guide was sweet enough to call to make sure we could still eat if we got back too late, and they said that they would hold food for us, but as we were coming into the dining room the kitchen staff was already breaking down food. The dining room staff was a little huffy about us having to sit at a table they were getting ready to clean. We rushed grabbing food because we were afraid they’d take everything away. If we had actually been as late as we thought we would, there would have been nothing at all for us to eat other than the limited snacks at the main bar. The snack bar was open for a very limited time (14.30 to 18.00) while most other club’s beach bars offer snacks from open to close. We found this to be a tad disappointing as we’d always felt well fed at other clubs, but a little starved at this one.

Our room was fine, the air conditioning worked well and we didn’t have a bug problem. There were tiny sugar ants in the bathroom, but nothing a little water couldn’t take care of. We were in the 800 building, which I think is newer. The bathroom had double sinks and a rain shower head in addition to a hand held shower head. The hand held was great for rinsing out gear & swim suits at the end of the day. I was also really impressed with the water pressure. Most islands I’ve been to have very little pressure so this was very nice. I would recommend that they provide wash cloths though, in order to fit sunscreen into our carry-on luggage we had to forego body wash and use our bar soap. I didn’t think I’d need to bring a washcloth too. Also, your 'Do Not Disturb' sign will be completely and totally ignored. We don't like to have maid service each and every day, but by the third day we realized they were coming in anyway and stopped putting the sign on the door. We brought bug wipes as well for the evenings and had no problems with mosquito bites. We tended to be off the beach before dusk, so no sand fleas either really.

It is not the traditional Club Med atmosphere most repeat guests would expect, very little socialization with GOs, GMs also tended to self-segregate and there were zero Crazy Signs during the day (only at night after the show, but before heading to the bar). Not that Crazy Signs makes or breaks the trip, but it is a great way to meet fellow GMs and a wonderful ice breaker. There were also no pool games aside from water polo. We didn’t go to the pool at all since it seemed like it was overrun by the kids and fairly boring. While this is not a Kids Club location, it is family friendly so there were a bunch of families there. The kids were a lot younger than I expected since it doesn’t have dedicated activities or areas for them, so I imagine most were pretty bored too. They were well behaved for the most part though and families tended to eat early while singles and couples stayed out a little bit at night. Overall the trip was fine, not great, not horrible, but fine. I got the tan I wanted to get (and some burn too!) and we relaxed like we wanted to. We’d probably not recommend this club to our friends given the superior experiences we’ve had at the Turks and Bahamas clubs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank aurorahigh303
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Site, staff, food, activities... Tons of fun and caring and competent employees. A definite place we will retourne but for 2 weeks! The food at the restaurant is exceptional, large choice of vegetables and the fish always perfectly cooked!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank ChuckMontreal
Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Delivered great formula over the years but have not been up to speed with competition. There is way better places to stay in 2013. Their management need to visit Gran Bahia Principe, Secrets, Sandals, Barcelona, just to mention a few.
Our stay in Martinique was very ordinary. Very lousy welcome; employees are "neutral" delivering fair atmosphere not an inch more. Premises are totally outdates.Rooms are smaller than on a cruise boat. No live entertainment on the beach; you wan't a drink or beverage while on the beach, you must walk for ever to get something. ( competition would be right there,ready to take your order)
Their food is "ok" not an inch more. Cats all over the place in dining rooms!!!! What are they waiting for to make a clean up???
I was a great fan of Club Med for a long time; they have lost me and they need to do their homework.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank RT320
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Buccaneer's Creek, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am very sorry to read that you were dissatisfied with certain aspects of your holiday at Club Med Buccaneer’s Creek. I regret to learn that you did not like the service, the atmosphere and your room.

As far as the attitude of our staff on site is concerned, I was sorry to hear that you found "neutral" the atmosphere. I can assure you that Club Med does certainly not condone this kind of feeling which is just the antithesis of what Club Med should personify i.e. kindness, generosity and sense of service.

I was sorry to learn about your dissatisfaction with your room size during your stay in the resort. Club Med gives a huge interest in outside and entertaining accommodation and give refurbishment to the resort when it is needed.

I understand that you were inconvenienced by the presence of feral cats in the resort, especially in the dinning room, and on behalf of Club Med, I would like to offer you my sincere apologies for this occurrence. I am informed that our staff on site do endeavour to limit the inconvenience caused to our guests by removing feral cats from the resort ground on a regular basis. It proves however very difficult to monitor this nuisance at all times.

Please note that your comments have been taken into consideration and will help us to improve our services. I really thank you for your time and despite the issues you have raised following your stay at the above resort, we hope that Club Med will remain an option for your next holiday and that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our company in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

We just returned from two weeks at Buccanneer's Creek, it was a very relaxing vacation. Overall, we enjoyed it...
THE BEACH was clean and easily accessible. If you want a place in the shade, get there early! The water was a little cool but refreshing. A beautiful, white sand beach with the best views.
THE POOL was large but needed some maintenance - there were missing tiles in the Kiddie Area and black mold growing on the grout in certain areas. It could use some TLC. Monia was terrific and Aqua Fit was fun! The view to the sea from the pool is spectacular with the focal point of Diamant Rock. The lounge chaises were wooden and weather beaten. The cushions were worn and rough. They need to be changed. A few chairs would not hurt either. The tiles around the pool can be very slippery when wet, be careful. You will see folks slipping though out the day. It closes at 6pm and no jacuzzi.
THE GROUNDS were well kept and a joy to walk through. There were so many exotic blooms and the colors were striking. Make a point of walking around the coconut groves, there are hundreds of crabs and different birds to see. It rained for a few days during our trip and I will always bring an umbrella on every vacation now. Take one with you.
THE EXCURSIONS
Luckily, we went on a Catamaran Trip and had such a great time. The Captain and Skipper were a blast and it was a highlight of our trip. We chose the trip to the Mangrove and Beaches.
We also chose the trip to Fort De France. The guide gives a walking tour which we did not go on because we had some errands to run. If you are wanting to dine in the capital, do not expect any sidewalk cafes serving lunch near the water and ferries. We ended up eating at a pizzeria which was near the ferry and it was bleak. The bathroom was in dire straits.
THE LANGUAGE & STAFF While I do not speak much French, I was still able to communicate with most of the staff. If you show some effort to speak some basic phrases, then the staff is more friendly. Nathalie, the Village Chief, was charming and accessible, maybe too accessible. I think she works too much... The G O's for the most part were very nice and seemed to be overworked. From sun up to sun down they were on the go and with one day off a week.... Most of them speak English. Ask them to introduce you to the other English speaking guests if you are feeling left out. I really liked being in a French Resort and being immersed in another culture, a departure from my usual day in the U.S. Besides, I chose to go to a French Island!
THE SPA Not the best experience. We stopped in to make an appointment for a massage and pedicures. The Spa Employee was impolite and very unfriendly to my French companion. So much so, that we decided to skip the Spa Experience altogether. She seemed more like a strict
warden than a spa representative.
THE CUISINE A wide range of choices for most any diet. The breakfast selection of pastries, croissants and breads was wonderful. Yogurts, cereal, omelets, cold cuts, cheeses, etc...
Lunches were terrific and so were the Dinners. At lunch, they offered at least six different ice creams and sorbets. Coconut, mango, guava, yum. The restaurant staff were very professional and for an all inclusive, the dining experience was above our expectations. The only thing that we did not enjoy was the coffee from the machine. It tasted like instant coffee. However, there is an espresso machine in the bar area that was terrific. There are some birds, feral cats and kittens that visit the outdoor dining areas. While some did not enjoy this, I did not mind. We were on an island and that is just life. In fact, the kittens were adorable... If you are an animal lover, there is a cute fat toad that lives on the side of the stairs by the bar and petanque court....
THE ENTERTAINMENT If you are staying for more than one week, you will see a repeat of the repertoire. The G O's put on some fun and fast paced shows. The shows are loud and the music has a strong beat...... The cocktail hour entertainment should be varied. The duo sing the same songs almost nightly. Just some tropical music would work.
IF IT RAINS Be prepared to entertain yourself. We spent three days of our trip experiencing heavy showers all day. Reading your book & playing Monopoly only go so far. It would be nice if they showed some movies - comedies in particular. Sitting in the lounge listening to the same music and Club Med melody for three days was a little annoying.
THE ROOMS Clean and attractive. Yet, spartan and not very comfortable especially for a senior. On the website for Buccaneer Creek, under Accommodations, three examples of rooms are shown and all with some type of seating. We chose a Club Room and did not have a chair to sit in to watch TV besides one stiff desk chair. It was not as the photo online. You ask, who would watch TV on vacation? Well, if you get sick (my companion did for a day), if it rains (it did for three solid days), or if you want to catch up on the news briefly. The bed was lumpy and the mattress was worn out. The mattress actually had concave areas from the use of many bodies over time.... The attendant at the front desk did not seem to think that it was an issue and we spent two weeks sleeping in a very sub standard bed. The legs on the bed were wobbly and needed to be tightened. We had a very large patio with NO chairs or table. When I asked the front desk about having chairs for the patio, they said that our room did not come with chairs for the patio. REALLY? What is the point of the covered patio (roughly 8 x 30 feet) if you can not enjoy it? After a little more pleading to a different G O , four days later we received two small plastic folding chairs and one small wood table. Within one day, someone stole one of the chairs off of our patio. Believe me, while it rained for three days, it would have been nice to sit on the patio or in your room. No such luck, only the lumpy bed. The bed and lack of seating really left a bad impression of the room. The lighting over the bed was not great for reading.
The maid service was very good, daily supply of towels and toiletries.
PHARMACIES, SUN & BUGS While there are pharmacies in the local towns, they may not always carry what you need. It is a different country with different brands and ideas of comfort. Be sure to bring what you use on a daily and weekly basis. Pack sun tan lotion and bug repellant. It is very expensive if you buy it at the Club Med Shop (dollar to euros).
THE BAR Delicious fruity drinks and surprisingly Campari. I was pleased since it is one of my favorite aperitifs. Drinkable white, rose and red wines. Stella Artois on tap. No complaints.
The bartenders were very nice and made great drinks! As far as I know, there did not seem to be any drink restrictions. The chairs could use new cushions, they were a bit dirty.
CAR RENTAL I would skip renting from the onsite Car Rental company and ask the front desk for JumboCar. They were cheaper, friendlier and in the village of St. Anne. They will pick you up and drop you off. Be prepared to drive a stick shift. We drove to Diamant Beach and around the coast. For the day the car was 58 euros and about 30 euros for the gas. We ate at
a restaurant on the beach in Daimant but enjoyed the Club Med dining more!
LASTLY If it were not for the old bed and lack of adequate seating in the room & patio, I would have rated it Excellent.

Room Tip: Booking through Club Med was not easy - the US Office was unable to pick a room for us. They said t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank OMMLB
Fresno, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Went here for a week and had a good time! The people are very nice, but speak little English. There are free activities, excercise classes and an all inclusive buffet and bar. The grounds and beach are beautiful and well kept. The resort has one big pool, but no jaccuzzi, and only one bar which you had to go to to get a drink. They didn't come serve you at the pool or beach like at other club med's and all inclusive resorts I have been to. There were very entertaining shows every night and the bar turned into a nightclub after that if you still wanted to party. Only one boutique if you needed anything and one other restaurant that we never made it to because it rained every night and it was a long uncovered walk to get to. Even though we had a good time, I would not revisit this club med.

Room Tip: Get ocean view room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Julie R
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We have been to this Club for the fourth time in March. Keep coming back for the wonderfull settings, the sunsets and the great food. Also, my husband very much enjoyed scubadiving with the knowlegable and friendly diving team. The snorkeling was fun too.
Being FrenchCanadians, we liked socializing with vacationers from Europe and the locals in French. Didn't go on an excursion this time but the 4x4 tour of the Island is a nice way to explore all the differents ecosystems.
The room was cozy, the bathroom a bit too small. We asked and got a room near the scuba departure so it was perfect.
We tried other all-included formulas(Sandals) but keep coming back to the Club Med way of enjoying a good time !

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AR6
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sainte-Anne
Hotel La Pagerie
#1 of 4 in Le Diamant
Simon Hotel
Simon Hotel
#1 of 8 in Fort-de-France

Been to Club Med Buccaneer's Creek? Share your experiences!