“Great Time but...”

Club Med Buccaneer's Creek
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Sainte-Anne
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 18, 2011

My cousin and I decided to go to Club Med Martinique because our parents had been there years back and raved about. We were very excited about booking the trip and escaping the city for a week. We arrived and were quickly escorted to the resort by the shuttle (which was about a 45 minute drive!). The GO's were absolutely wonderful!! Luckily, our GO could speak English. I do suggest learning basic French because English was very hard to come by. A family of three were the only other people at the resort who were from the US. Although some of the GOs could not speak very good English, they tried talking to us anyway and were very friendly. The rooms were nice and kept in decent condition. I wished they would've swept the floor because it was covered in sand. The beach was incredibly relaxing and the food was amazing. The snorkeling was less than impressive but, still fun. THE ONLY time I was NOT having fun was on the excursion we booked. We were excited to be on a boat all day in the sun but, the two guys who ran it were absolutely OFFESIVE! Not to mention that the people who were on the boat with us were so RUDE! We were the only two on the boat who spoke English and the excursion leaders and the other passengers were making fun of us in French (‘American’ in French is basically the same word.)! We were so angry but tried not to let it ruin our time. Over all it’s a wonderful place with wonderful staff but, the other resort guests and the excursion guys were LESS than pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
7  Thank Danette16
Write a ReviewReviews (4,012)

Reviewed March 5, 2011

Service was excellent and friendly, and in French. An English (only) speaking guest was having a problem with the (paid) internet connection, but the front desk was unable to understand the problem. Fortunately I was able to translate the question, and the problem was resolved..

The whole village was kept immaculately clean - even the lawns were raked regularly for fallen leaves and items dropped by the visitors.

Food on special nights was superb, foie gras pate and sauteed, Roast Duck etc. On other days it was plentiful, but dull. This was not their fault because there was a dockers' strike both in mainland France and Martinique, and most imported supplies were cut off. They did a very good job with what they had..

Our room was fine, spacious and wheelchair accessible, as we had asked. Maid service was superb. The bed was not very comfortable.

We used the pool for aqua aerobics (excellent instructors), one of us took tennis and windsurfing instruction. Tennis instructors were psychically and intellectually lazy., tossing the balls for forehand, backhand and serve, with little diagnostic help, and no tips on positioning and strategy. Windsurfing instruction was good, but limited to about 3/4 hour per day. All instruction was in French - there were a couple of non French speakers in the tennis class. they didn't appear to be having much fun.

The evening entertainment was all in French and consisted mainly of the GO's singeing (or lip synching) and dancing. The crab race was memorable.

The best thing was food on special nights; The worst was the shop; not much choice, and outrageous prices; 34.5 Euros (U.S.$50.00) for a 200ml bottle of sunscreen, for which I had paid around $9.00 in my local supermarket. Bring everything you need!

We didn't try any of the excursions or courses of instruction for Scuba etc. They had three ski boats; people we spoke to were happy with that.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank apierceg
Reviewed February 21, 2011

First off, let me say I have been going to club med off and on for 20 years. I am a reliable and dedicated customer. On this vacation, I traveled with my wife and two close friends. I play a lot of sports and every trip involves scuba diving and sailing.

1. The village: is just beautiful. I had been there 16 years ago – and it has not changed. The beach, sport facilities, architecture, landscaping is all well maintained and reflects well their 2005 refurbishment. This is a beautiful place. The pictures on the club med web site are accurate.

2. The food: typical club med fare. Fresh produce, bread, fish were replete at every meal. The pastries were excellent. The menu has changed very little over the years and for good reason: it is healthy and tastes fantastic. But a little more variety at dinner would have been nice. Only one night did we get to experience any real creole cooking – it would have been nice if they would have dedicated more space to local cuisine. Last year, I got the worst case of food poisoning I have ever had (another village) – this year, no problems.

3. Medical: because I spent nearly every waking moment in the water: diving, snorkeling, windsurfing, waterskiing, I got a bad ear infection. It happens, and I did not have my little bottle of alcohol with me. So I went to the infirmary where I was examined by a nurse. She concluded the obvious, that I had an ear infection, but had nothing further to say: no referral to the local doctor, no club med doctor to see me, and no over-the-counter medication to provide. She suggested I go to the local pharmacy to seek care. So we rented a car, drove to the pharmacy (with a translator) and sought care there – but still could not get the medication I needed (I am a physician, and one of my travel partners is also a physician – so we know the drill). So I suffered for the last two days until getting back to Florida. Two airplane flights were very difficult. My suggestion: bring along all the medications you might need for an overseas trip (short course of oral antibiotics, rubbing alcohol, bandages, motion sickness medication, antihistamines, etc). My suggestion to club med: have a physician available to your nurse for referral as needed. Your nurse could not, would not make this referral to me when I was there.

4. Sports: I dive on every club med vacation I take, and the diving here was very good (I am a dive instructor also). Michele and his staff were great. The dive sites were only 5-10 minute away, and were beautiful. The equipment was safe and well maintained and the boat was it tip-top shape. We made dives on diamond rock twice, and after I organized it – a night dive on the wall. Fantastic. I also spent time windsurfing and waterskiing, and the GO teams here were great too. My only disappointment was that sailing is no longer an activity here (other clubs nearby have this activity). I was told it was due to losing their beach to erosion (the village is on a large and busy channel) and due to safety (?). Odd, because they have a large beach facing the bay – where the wind blows all day! Besides, they have windsurfing and other clubs have sailing in the harbor. Other GM’s (patrons) also missed not being able to sail. Recommendation to club med: bring back the great sailing program you used to have at this village.

5. Language: this village is really no longer the bilingual place it used to be. I speak and read enough high school French that I got by with little trouble. Also, I traveled in a group of 4 –so I had others to talk with. But much of the club med staff at this village struggles with English. Most of the people staying at this village are French, so if you are intimidated by foreign languages, or are traveling alone, this might not be the village for you. I am not sure why club med does not do a better job marketing this village to the USA – after all, it’s been American dollars that have kept many of their Caribbean villages alive for the last 30 years.

6. Accommodations: were very good - typical club med decor. Spartan - with some nice photos in the bathroom, but none in the bedroom. A very clean room, linens, towels, and excellent housekeeping. The room did smell strongly of mold until we turned on the AC upon our arrival. A previous posting by someone else on trip advisor showed a picture of mold in the shower - and this has not changed. Black mold where the glass meets the tile floor. This happens in humid environments (I live in Florida) – but is easily cleaned with elbow grease! All the public spaces (bar, toilets, infirmary, beach, boats, etc.) were very clean. We spent very little time in our room!

7. Travel: was easy via Miami and San Juan. Club med set it up and even when we missed a flight (American Airlines), the village had someone waiting for us at the airport. Logistics were easy. Which means a lot when you spend the whole day traveling.

8. Would I go back again? No. It’s time to go to another club med village. We are planning a family vacation (kids) to their village in Guadaloupe next year.

9. We did rent a car on the last day - a drove around the southern part of the island. Ate lunch in a local restuarant - and this was a great way to get away from the routine of the club. Car rental was easy. And the roads were safe and well maintained.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
19  Thank Thunderball5
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I could not resist writing a few words while I am still enjoying myself a coffee to the bar here. It is our 3rd Club Med. Les Boucanieres is placed on an amazing spot in the southern part of the island.
The goods: definitelly location. For a 4 tridents resort, accomodation is good. Staying in a club room with terrace and sea view. Cool spot towards the sports corner, very quite, and amazing view on the sea especially sunsets. Beach is nice, small but cozy, wake up early if you want a spot, it gets busy after 10am. Sports choice are excellent. Excursions are varied and very well organized, a bit expensive but Still okay. Will try the spa son. Amazing weather, and mid day showers are good for a fresh breeze.
The average: the GO team is a bit absent, it depends to what you want and used to. have been to places were the team was cooler. It may be as well that English speaking level is poor or very poor so if you are not a French speaker youre toast. Still I cannot say they are not polite. Its just that I am used to hanging out more with those guys. Age is in the mid 40's and up, which is a bit high for us, but again this is personal taste.
The food choice is okay but towards the average. Not bad though, and deserts are cool. If u came to eat like in a 5 stars hotel, false expectation.
The bads: to things need ti definitelly improve...the bar service is very slow and annoying that you have to wait for 10 minutes for a cocktail, and reception where again speed and customer service is not the 2 best qualities. As an extra, 50 euros for a week of wifi access is theft. Either give it for free or dont provide. The price is huge even for a 5 stars hotel in The most expensive location. Overall, were enjoying our time and it is indeed excellent.

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank gufi70
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Buccaneer's Creek, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2011

Dear Great Member,

We thank you warmly for the time you took to write this review on Trip Advisor after your stay in our Buccaneer's Creek Club Med Resort. We are really pleased to see you had good time there and you enjoyed the Resort location and the sports offered.

We hope to see you again soon in one of our resorts.

Best regards,

Your Club Med Team

Reviewed January 4, 2011

I'm not even here 48 hours and I can say that this place is a living nightmare. Come here only if you want to sample the delictable specialities: incinerated cardboard and unidentifiable meat swimming in its own fat, spend your days in the dirty toilets with a severe case of food poisoning, followed by a night in second hand stained sheets.
I plan to leave a much more detailed review upon my return (if I ever get out of here) but for now I'll give you a quick overview to warn you off ever coming here:

The food is inedible and I've been hungry for two days. There a single canteen style restaurant where they serve you up several grease soaked or incinerated delicacies. I'd stick to the bread and french fries if you don't want to be ill especially at lunch. There is another restaurant supposedly for special occasions, but you should queue from 8am if you want a spot, and even then you shouldn't count on it.
Oh but there is all day "snacking", which basically means incinerated meat patties or greasy french fries. But even if the food was fine I'm sure the sheer lack of hygeine would make you sick. If you can't be bothered to wait the hour to order your delectable snack just pick up one of the meat patties lying around the floor or tables - I'm sure they wouldn't taste any worse!

Rooms
I think I was still in nappies the last time our room was cleaned. Blackened grouting, blood on the walls, greasy door handles are but a few of our complaints. And the kind lady that came to push our beds together (no there are no double beds) confirmed that they don't wash the covers between guests.
But I should give the staff the credit they're due - they can talk you down alright - they should have all been used car salesmen! But we're waiting 2 days and our room still hasn't been cleaned.

Hotel grounds
But don't worry, you can relax on the sticky bar chairs or black sun loungers (they're meant to be white) amidst the meat patties, and one of the GO team will pop over and have a chat to you in Italian (what's that about?! I speak French and English that's why I came to Martinique!).

I'm trying to get out of here but ClubMed want me to pay not only the full cost of my trip but also all costs for changing my departure. And to think I booked with them because I figured they were reputable - I'd advise you to stay away. The staff in Switzerland just told me I shouldn't eat and hung up on me. I've spent less money and have had magnificent holidays in Mexico, Costa Rica and the Bahamas. ClubMed have managed to ruin my trip to Martinique.......here's hoping I get out of here soon......
The sun's nice though.....I guess it's hard to ruin that! (But I'd bet they'd try if they could!)

Very disatisfied customer from Geneva

• Stayed: January 2011
18  Thank IrishGenevois
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Buccaneer's Creek, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2011

Dear IrishGenevois,

We were surprised to read your comments about our Club Med Martinique resort as we normally find our client reviews of the Resort very positive. We would like to offer you our sincere apologies for the dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay.

With regards to your stomach problems, as mentioned on our website and in our Brochure, our guests may suffer from such sickness whilst on holiday. It is often a consequence of change in climate and eating habits and can affect travelers even in Europe. Club Med's preventive health policy makes it possible to considerably reduce these rates but cannot however guarantee that you will not be affected. Contaminated food offered to our customers in the Resort would have resulted in a collective contamination, i.e. numerous people would have been affected during the same period and similar symptoms would have been found. For your information, please note that we have not been informed of a food poisoning outbreak at Les Boucaniers resort during the period of your stay and all hygiene checks carried out did not show any sign of food contamination.

As far as the catering is concerned, please, kindly note that our operating restaurants are doing their utmost to offer the most diversified menus in order to satisfy all nationalities and tastes.

We are really sorry to read that you were dissatisfied with the standard of cleanliness. We will look into this further but please note that the management staff have confirmed that all rooms and amenities are cleaned on a regular basis by the housekeeping team in which polishing, vacuuming, replacement of towels and any further cleaning duties are carried out.

Finally, regarding your comments on our GO's speaking Italian, our staff come for all over the world and we nurture this multicultural aspect of our Resorts. Generally, most of our GO's speak both French and English but in addition we ensure other GO's speak a variety of other languages to cater for all our international clients.

We appreciate your constructive feedback and please rest assured that we have passed these comments on to the Resort with an aim to improve our services wherever necessary. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you to another Club Med resort in the not too distant future and we hope thus to restore your faith in our company.

Kind regards,

Your Club Med UK team

Reviewed December 4, 2010

Trip to Martinique ClubMED resort was a big waste of money. The ClubMed prices are higher and you expect better standards (which we got in the past in a different CluMed resort). Martinique ClubMed hotel is dirty (see enclosed pictures). There was mold in bathrooms, the showers were not cleaned during our stay - I started to feel that the floor tiles in the shower started to stick to my feet at the end of the one-week stay. Any launchchairs on the beach were so disgustingly dirty that I did not use any of them (picture shows such a chair in front of a one of the resort rooms which was just under our tiny balcony). The rooms were relatively small and we had no space for our lugage bags. Food was very poor - the breakfasts were like in a 3star hotel - every day the same. Dinners had more variety, however only two dinners were up to expected standard. The restaurand service was inefficient - you had to wait to get a clean table (a smile from the service staff was very rare); you were treated as a nuisance and any requests were often ignored.
The entertainment was horrible. Each evening, the staff people were trying to perform something on the stage (nobody professional and nobody with skills). Nobody seems to had artistic preparation and any clue what they were doing. All guests, we talk to, were disappointed and there was no alternative offered at the same time, unless we watched TV.
The pool was closed at 6:30pm so nobody could swim after that time. Between sunset and 10pm was completely dead (except dinner), and at 10 pm we got a very poor quality performace on the stage. How sad. It was really nothing to do there. There was a pingpong table (we used it a lot) and 2 snukers tables (it required 1 euro coins !).
On top of it, the resort was close to large, busy marina, so there was a very limited area where you were allowed to move around on the water (swimming or kayaking). There nothing from tranquility in this place. You may be misled, as I was, looking a the picture of a nice, long pier at the resort - very, very misleading and the pier is locked at sunset so do not think about sitting on the pier and looking at stars.
Another disappointment was snorkelling. Before departure, I was told by ClubMed that there is fabulous snorkelling off beach. It was nothing there - zero. There were two trips a day for snorkelling. The coral reef is almost completely dead (maybe because it is on the way to a large marina). The worst snorkeling I ever had and I have been in few places in my life. The staff who organized snorkelling, had apprently day off on Saturday so we could not go for snorkelling (even that the 2 previous days was raining and there was not snorkelling and they had these times off). I came for 6 days and we hoping to see ocean life but the staff had off and we had nothing to do.

On a postive note, the bar staff was fabulous - every one person who worked there was pleasant and made you feel like a guest, not as nusaince.
In summry, we paid $2100/person and it was the worst experience we ever had (even if we traveled for $800/person). The resort is not bad but there nothing to do there, food is poor, entertanment horrible and the palce is dirty. We took some trips around the island. The nature is beautiful - mountains and a lot of green. However, there are no nice places (at least we could not find them) where you can stop for a nice coffee and look at the ocean.
This trip was an absolute surprise to us. We were considering to have our wedding there but this is not in our plans anymore.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ula727
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Buccaneer's Creek, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2010

We are sorry if the quality and variety of the food on offer did not meet your expectations during your stay at Les Boucaniers. Having looked into this matter further, we have been advised that all dishes are prepared on site using quality products including foie gras, smoked salmon, lobster, beef filet and crayfish amongst others. Furthermore the buffet menu offers Italian and Créole specialties, a barbeque as well as a themed buffet, every evening.

With regard to the standard of cleanliness and the appearance of the rooms, I am told that this is due to persisting bad weather and high levels of humidity despite our staff’s efforts to maintain a high standard. Rooms are cleaned and sheets and covers are changed on daily basis. Unfortunately we cannot comment on the size of the room our customers were offered as this would require more information as to the category of room booked.

The pool and the pier are closed at night for security reasons. This is because local laws require that there is a lifeguard present at the pool which is only possible during the day time. The pier does not have lighting or guardrails and is therefore closed at night to avoid any accidents.

We would also like to thank you for taking the time to put your comments in writing and to reassure you that any complaint is taken very seriously and that we are constantly monitoring the standard of customer care in all our Resorts worldwide.

On a different note, we were pleased to learn that you found our Bar staff fabulous. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you need any further information by sending an email to customer.uk@clubmed.com.

The Club Med team.

Reviewed August 27, 2010

It is the perfect place for a vacation. If you are single, couple, or have kids you will fall in love with the food, events, location, and most of all the people.

If you know some French then you will be inspired to learn more. If you know no French I only recommend learning some of the basics; hello, bye, thank you, and such. If you try to speak they will help you along the way and most speak a lil or great English.

The vacation was one of the best I have been on, so go and enjoy.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gakid11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sainte-Anne
Hotel La Pagerie
#4 of 11 in Trois-Ilets
Diamant Beach
Diamant Beach
#1 of 4 in Le Diamant

Been to Club Med Buccaneer's Creek? Share your experiences!