My wife and I booked the Karibea from the listings and were not disappointed. It was exactly what we expected. Early July -2004
The hike up is a bit daunting but we are in good shape and in our 60s and 50s. (I would not recommend this for the elderly or especially if you are not fit.) We arrived by taxi of course- from the ferry in Fort de France and the staff were welcoming and pleasant. The front desk can speak a little English and I speak French. There are clean public washrooms off the foyer.
The breakfasts-buffet style in the morning were very plentiful and varied. We enjoyed the spaciousness and cleanliness of the dining area. The pool just below was in use and never crowded. Its a splendid location for short stays . Restaurant and hotel staff were pleasant.
The hotel rooms were plain but comfortable, clean and fairly well maintained, and airconditioned. The shutter style windows over the doors were without screens .We had no bug problem,though.
The toilet /washroom /shower was fine although the unscreened bathroom window was stuck in an open position which we found was not an uncommon situation in several hotels on our three week holiday.
Taking one's luggage up to the second floor is only accomplished by walking and climbing on moderately steep and moderaterly wide tiled staircases. It was a challenge as it is a very warm humid climate.
The elderly shouldn't attempt this hotel as it doesn't have an elevator nor bus boys to help. We had two heavy soft suitcases each as we were travelling and sailing as well and it was a struggle with that.
The view from our room and the nice balcony to sit out on especially lovely in the evening, was an added plus.
The hotel price was moderate and reasonable although in American $ or Euros which for the Canadian tourist is still at a currency disadvantage.
Good parking for cars but a steep entrance off the lower road .
We would recommend it for couples, families and the older but 'fit' hotel clientel who don't mind steep and long 10 -15 minutes walks down or UP the hill back to the hotel. We saw numerous families at the hotel- and in the pool .
Location : Easy walk down to:
The village-Trois Ilets , below --is full of restaurants and stores, other very expensive hotels and docks and small ports; the good beach half the way there is worth the walk and easy to access.
Easy arrival by small ferry boat from Fort De France. (Don't take the TAXI - it was 60 $ USF )
The Navette-powerful fast launch trip from Ft. de France to a pier just below the Karibea hotel -5-10 minutes walk. The Navette cost was about 6 EURO one way or 7.50 aller-retour ( both ways ) each.
There are two ports for the ferry /navette- one close to the beach and the Karibea and the other in the small town of Trois Islets in the main small harbour- Both run frequently -every half an hour.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Karibea Camelia residence, located in the upper part of Anse Mitan, offers stunning views over the bay of Fort-de-France, considered one of the most beautiful bays in the world. The discrete charm of this hotel will transport you to a haven of peace and quiet, and is just 10 minutes' walk from the tourist center of 3 ilets. Activities The proximity of the 3 ilets town center means that you can take advantage of all the amenities of this tourist site: numerous shops and boutiques, restaurants and bars as well as a marina and a casino. For golf enthusiasts, the 18 hole golf course, located in the countryside surroundings of the 3 ilets park, is just a few kilometers from the residence. Several outings are also within walking distance from the residence, such as le musee de la Pagerie, the sugar cane museum or le village de la Poterie. Accommodation Standard Room There are 23 air-conditioned rooms available, four of which have a beautiful view of the residence's gardens and one is equipped for the disabled. Some rooms also have a wonderful view of the sea, perfect for a moment of rest and relaxation. There is a TV, telephone and refrigerator in all of the rooms. Classic Studio We have 26 studios (23 sqm) with balcony overlooking the residence's gardens or directly overlooking the sea All our studios are air-conditioned and equipped with kitchen, TV and telephone. This accommodation is ideal for customers looking for independence and peace and quiet for their holidays. Family Studio Family studios all have a balcony overlooking the residence's gardens or directly overlooking the sea Each studio is air-conditioned and equipped with kitchen, TV and telephone. These studios are perfect for families wishing to spend some time exploring the area together. The 26 Family studios include:- 10 small communicating flats which can accommodate 2 adults and 2 children- 1 double bed (160 cm) and 2 single beds (90 cm) Dining When you arrive at the residence our welcome cocktail offered to all customers will put you in the holiday mood straight away! Start your day with a panoramic view over the bay of Fort-de-France ... You can then take your breakfast every day on the residence's restaurant terrace. The bar is also reserved for all hotel guests. Activities Complimentary services Throughout your stay you can relax in a sun bed by the pool, or enjoy the residence's facilities which include pool and table tennis. The whole of the residence is also equipped with wireless internet which is free for our customers. Paid Services The beautiful beaches of Pointe du Bout are only 15 minutes' walk from the residence where you will find lots of fun activities: pedal boats, water skiing, windsurfing, fun board, hobby cat, jet ski, etc. For all golf lovers and also beginners, the Golf des Trois-Ilets, located 5 minutes from the residence in beautiful surroundings, has an 18-hole course as well as an introduction course for beginners. In the evening, the village of la Pointe du Bout provides great entertainment with its restaurants, nightclubs, bars and casinos. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Fastbooking, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Karibea Camelia Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Karibea Camelia Residence Trois Ilets
- Karibea Camelia Residence Martinique/Trois-Ilets