“Perfect location on a fabulous island in the Caribbean.”
Review of Hotel Bakoua

Hotel Bakoua
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Trois-Ilets
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband & I have been staying at this hotel every year for the last 30 years!! Obviously we think the Bakoua & Martinique are pretty much perfect. We have also brought along numerous friends who also loved it. The natives are French citizens & have a much higher standard of living than the other islands & thus there is no begging & everyone is very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Susan H
Hotel B, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Bakoua, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Bakoua Hotel.

We strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

We appreciate your sharing your appreciations, and we are waiting for your next visit.

Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

First things first: you have to understand that Caribbean standard are not US standards. But this is the best hotel on Martinique and the location is everything here. Located in Point du Boute this hotel is right on the beach with a lovely infinity pool with a great view of the beautiful bay. The hotel itself is a beautiful old house, with loads of nice details. There is a nice bar with great Rhum, lovely breakfast buffeau with pancakes, eggs, omelettes, fresh fruit and freshly pressed juice. Two nice restaurants and a great bar out in the water. In the water by the hotel I snorkelled and saw loads of colourful fish. Ok, the bathrooms might be in the need of a bit of an update, but seriously, I'll take an old bathroom for this view, location and great food ANY day! The beds were sooo comfy and everything was very, very clean. Saw hummingbirds at breakfast. The only thing good to know is that 99% of all the tourists are French so be aware that you might not make so many friends if you don't know a little French. Jean-Claude at the front desk was the friendliest man on Martinique, great service!!!!

All in all, I totally recommend this hotel if you're not a person who expects Hilton standard in the bathroom!!! Loved every minute and every thing with this hotel!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Sussellen
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

In general this is a very good place- well maintained, great location, clean and accommodating. They have been consistent in that. The cove they inhabit has the nicest view across the bay of the volcano, the water is gentle and lovely, the coconut bar on the water is perfect, the restaurant is good. My only complaints are 1) it feels a little staid, and 2) the showers in some room are not up to standard.
Ask for a room above the ground floor with a good view of the volcano and the bay across to Fort de France. Make sure you leave three hours before your flight time, traffic can be terrible.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Daniel L
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Just returned from a week staying in one of the beach front rooms. Everything worked fine. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Due to an illness I am recovering from, I required hot water every afternoon and it was not a problem. I think the star rating is similar to that of punta cana and other islands, not that of the US which was expected and fine. We would definitely stay there again. My husband is very critical and he had no complaints.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are all on first floor as they have a patio right on the beach.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rosie A
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Let me begin by saying that I have traveled all over the Caribbean. It is a part of my job, so I am familiar with all sorts of hotels within the region. That being said, I was disappointed with my stay at Hotel Bakoua.

The hotel itself is outdated. The rooms leave much to be desired, but the one solid highlight was the beds. Very comfortable. Outside of that, my shower did not work, my television was spotty, and even the wifi would cut in and out.

I did enjoy the small village just down the hill and the hotel does have a nice view of the bay, however I believe that the lack of maintenance at the property and the need for a refurbishment make this a 2 out of 5 in my book. I hope that Martinique tourism can rebound, but considering this hotel is rated as a 4-star, I am currently not very confident.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view and set your expectations low. This is not a four star property.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank James F
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We enjoyed beautiful water front rooms. Excellent breakfast. Great coffee machine in room. Friendly, gracious staff to help with activities in Les Trois Ilets and around Martinique. WiFi helpful. Loved our friendly welcome and cocktail on pier bar. Lots of nice outside restaurants with good food within few minutes walk.

Room Tip: Taxis are expensive in Martinique (80 euro from airport), so we rented a car. We didn't realise...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SailFlyTrain
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Recently, (March 2013) stayed at Hotel Bakoua with my daughter 35, and grand daughter 2.5.
THE GOOD -We liked the hotel - our room was not as pictured in the advertisements, we paid extra for a SEA view, however, everything clean and working. Small beach area and a very nice pool. Staff was friendly.
THE BAD - Nothing was open; the bar that is pictured in the advertisements was never open, usually blocked off for access with a beach recliner, the one day we did find it open we ordered a drink and when we went to return the tray - it was closed again. The gift shop was never open. The restaurant that was open for lunch had very few of the items that were listed on the menu (what they did serve was good). The restaurant that open for dinner (NOT WORTH THE PRICE), was not children friendly, would not serve you anything until after 7:30 / 8:00 pm. They charged us 3 Euro for an 8 oz. glass of milk for the baby!! When you are traveling with small children they need to have access to food sometime between the lunch restaurant closing at 2 and dinner at 8. We found a great pizza place down the street at the marina.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Rita K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trois-Ilets
Hotel La Pagerie
#1 of 3 in Tartane
Diamant Beach
Diamant Beach
#1 of 4 in Le Diamant

Been to Hotel Bakoua? Share your experiences!