See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 3, 2018

We arrived, honestly, expecting a dump in a convenient location. It turned out to be a lovely setting, with authentic creole cottages that with some TLC could be morphed into a 4-5 star venture with prices to match. We forewarned, though we spoke to management about early check-in and/or luggage storage, we were told simply have "lunch at the restaurant" because we couldn't promise anything. There is an inpeneterable iron gate locked shut from noon till 4PM so our arrival on a rainy day was dismal as we waited till 4PM. Luckily, we drove to the beach and were able to get to the so-called restaurant while we waited a long, miserable hour till a few folks opening the reception and let us in. The locked gate was scary as we needed to live a 5AM for an early flight and had no one to help us should the gate not open (on second try it did). There is an enormous pool, maybe 65 feet long, a rocky beach and a beach-side restaurant/joint that could be something fabulous. The bungalows could be fabulous but are a bit worn and tired and all the mahogany details have been painted over with a garish creole inspired color pallet. Nonetheless, well worth a visit as long as the trade-offs are taken into consideration. We were overall impressed while accepting the issues.

• Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2018

I stayed at this hotel from 12/25-12/31 2017. There are 5 in my family 2 adults and 3 kids ages 13,12, and 4. I booked the family room through booking. com. This consisted of 2 adjoining rooms. Prior to arrival, the hotel was very prompt with questions and requests. I added an extra bed to one of the rooms to accommodate my 4-year-old. This is at the additional charge $15, which I felt was reasonable. It was a twin size bed .The reception desk is staffed from 8-12 am and 4-8 pm. I had a late flight, got to hotel at 10:30 and there was staff waiting for me to give me the key and show me to my bungalow. I had notified hotel ahead of time of my late arrival. There is a main gate to the complex with key pad. If no one is at reception, it is locked and you simply punch in the code. I feel the place is great value for money. It is very quiet and relaxed. If you want a place with a lot of entertainment, or more of a party atmosphere, then I would consider a different place. Sorry for the long review, but there aren't many reviews in English. I'll try to give break down of main topics:
Rooms: There are 4 separate "hotel rooms" housed in each free standing bungalow. We had a family room, which was 2 adjoining room. Each room has small kitchenette with 2 burner stove, coffee pot (with reusable filter) dorm size refrigerator ( with small freezer section), and microwave. There are plates, cups, and utensils. Both rooms had pot and frying pain. 1 room had a colander. There is no place to sit in room besides the bed. There is wardrobe with hangers and multiple shelves. There is sliding door leading out to patio. Patio is covered and had table and 2 chairs. There is also drying rack outside. The rooms were recently painted and clean. These are however not new rooms, scratches on tile, patched up old light fixtures, etc. There are wooden louvers with screens on the window. These can't be completely closed, so some noise gets in, frogs chirping at night and birds in the am.
Grounds and beach:Grounds are beautiful and well are maintained. The bungalows are well spread out. There is ample secure parking. There is small private beach. It is left natural, so rocks and washed up coral. There are spots on either end of beach that are more sandy for entrance. 4 yo went in without problem. This is very private beach with only access is to guests ( or someone on sea kayak). Often, we were only ones on beach. It's not the best beach on the island, but really nice to have private beach. There are great sunsets from the beach. The snorkeling here was excellent. It is in a protected cove. The pool is very clean and large, about 20 yards. Often, we were the only ones there. It is lighted at night. There is no shallow end. The pool gets deeper in the middle. My 4 yo could not stand, but hung off the ladder.
Staff: I had limited interaction with the staff, but they were all friendly. Reception desk people spoke English well, at snack bar, I was able to get by.
Restaurant/Bar: This is situated on the beach. I only did breakfast my first morning there. They have pastries, cheese, sliced meat, and fruits. There is machine that makes coffee or cappuccino. There is adjacent bar with local beer on tap, served in chilled glass.
Location: Location is great. It is 8 min. walk to Anse Matin, where there is ferry, bigger white sand beach, bakery, and restaurants. Just beyond this is Creole Village.
What to bring: Beach towels (none provided), shampoo, body wash, etc. ( provided with 2 small bars of soap). Bring earplugs due to chirping frogs and birds. Bug spray (mostly bitten in evening watching the sunset). Snorkel or at very least goggles. If you plan on grocery shopping, bring reusable shopping bags (grocery stores charge). If you plan on making most meals, I'd also recommend bringing small packets of spices you normally use.

• Stayed: December 2017, traveled with family
Mélanie L, Responsable hébergement at Imperatrice Village, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2018

Hello,
thank you very much for all these details,
We are glad that you've spent a nice time in our property,
Best Regards,

Reviewed February 2, 2017

They have painted the studio's, replaced the mattresses and put new screen over the windows. The bathrooms haven't been renovated yet, but it didn't bother me. The air conditioning worked well. I placed a towel over the bathroom window and kitchen window to keep the heat out. The kitchen had plates, silverware, pots, 1 large bowl and whenever we needed something, Melanie always helped. They have a flat screen tv in the room but the shows are in French. My daughter and I loved the beds, they are sooooo comfortable. The pool was huge, which made me especially happy. The people here are so friendly and helpful. Melanie speaks good english and gave very good recommendations for places to see and eat. Melanie is so wonderful! They don't clean the rooms while you are staying here. If you bring them your towels, they will exchange them for clean ones and they will give you toilet paper as you need it, just ask. The private beach here is nice and you can see the bottom, many people were snorkeling and tanning on the beach. They have plenty of nice lounging chairs on the beach. They also have a volleyball net and hammocks hanging. There is a restaurant for drinks and lunch, it closes at 6pm and doesn't serve dinner. We ate breakfast our first morning which consisted of eggs, coffee, pastries, some deli meat and cheese, juice, cereal. We made breakfast in our room after that. You can walk to the nearby pier and beach from here and some restaurants. I rented a car so I could see the island. Their is a gentleman, Phillip who has a boat on the beach and for 25 Euros he will take you to the nearby beaches to snorkel with the turtles. He will teach you to scuba dive and just take you by boat to drop you off on another beach and pick you up later. There are land crabs here, hummingbirds, other birds and cats. We really enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: The rooms are all the same, but we were in room 142 and we could see the beach and restaurant.
  • Stayed: January 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank ecoastgail
Reviewed March 24, 2015

The resort is in bad disrepair the supposed self catering supplied were very minimal not even a chopping board or sharp knife .
Cobwebs in the room inside the bed lamps and we booked a double room but got two single bedside . We stayed three nights our room was not cleaned bin not emptied neither towels replaced until we requested . Reception opens at four we arrived in the morning and had to wait hours until we could enter our room . Friendly staffs but the poor state of the village is not good value the dining by the pool was very shabby you.
Would not return plus the road from Anse Mitan is a dark walk not good for females .
Tourist information supplied was out of date and covered in dust.
Shower old too small curtain was short thus water all over the floor and kept knocking the shower off as limited space

Room Tip: Call the owner
  • Stayed: March 2015, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CarolinaGianna
Reviewed February 10, 2015

This is a lovely property in desperate need of repairs. Rotted wood, peeling paint & no screens on the doors-letting in bugs & even a lizard. Some of the bungalows, from the exterior, appeared to have had repairs done. Pretty grounds & on a small beach. I got some pretty pictures of the beach but didn't make use of the beach-as it is tiny. The bed & pillow was probably the worst I have ever experienced. I felt as though I was sleeping on a wooden board & lumpy doesn't begin to describe the pillow. With some repairs I would highly recommend this complex-it truly is lovely grounds & I just love the creole architecture. It is very convenient to village creole-one of my favorite spots on the island.

Room Tip: I was as room 153 (bungalow sapotille)--2 suites to a bungalow. Near the beach & entrance-when repairs done will be excellent-otherwise be prepared for peeling paint & rotted wood.
  • Stayed: January 2015, traveled solo