All reviews trois ilets business hotel nice business big room cruise ship docks la pagerie business trip spoke english great bar mini fridge good deal gym bay ferries island martinique toilet
Selected filters
Reviewed February 23, 2019

I have been looking forward to staying at the Simon Hotel. During my first night in the hotel, someone opened the door to my room (after I locked the deadbolt) late at night. I happened to be awake, was absolutely scared, and screamed and screamed until the person closed the door and went away. I relocked the deadbolt and put a chair and suitcase in front of the door. I then phoned the front desk to report what had just happened. The receptionist said she had given the master key to a fellow who said he was doing room service, a very unsatisfactory explanation and response. I express my concern that no one knocked on my door, the person just opened my door, and I was very worried about my security. She said that she would report the incident to the manager. The next morning I reported the incident to a different receptionist and she said that she would report the incident to the manager. I have yet to hear from the manager regarding security - that a master key is not just floating around and given to whoever wants one. I am really disappointed with the nonchalant attitude towards security of guests at this hotel.

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Lauren L
Reviewed February 11, 2019 via mobile

We stayed at the Simon hotel for one night before flying back home. All in all, I liked the hotel. The decor is nice and even though it’s fairly pricey, everything is quite expensive in Martinique. I wanted to give five stars but a few things made our stay a little less enjoyable: the staff at the front desk were snooty and also the bed topper was much smaller then the actual mattress size. On the other hand, the internet was good and the room was quiet. We enjoyed the breakfast but we ate quite early in the morning so there was still plenty of choice. The hotel is an easy walk away from the centre however there is no beach access (and it is a bit of a shame there isn’t a pool..).

Date of stay: February 2019
Reviewed January 3, 2019

The hotel is on the edge of the center of Fort de France and it's an easy walk to the center. It looks out at one of the two cruise ship docks and would be a perfect hotel if you were picking up a cruise ship. While it looks out on the bay, it does not have direct access to a beach, you have to take the nearby (easy walk) water taxis to a beach area. Hotel staff was helpful and I could always find someone at the front desk who spoke English, which is not that commonly spoken on the island. the bay facing room had a fair view of the bay. Room was clean, though there was a bit of mold at the base of the shower. Door to toilet was nice, but did squeak a bit. The shower has an opaque glass wall which faces the bedroom. Kinda cool, unless you're with someone who wants to sleep in and you want to get up and shower. Free parking in the hotel lot is a plus and it's easy to reach. Remember, taxis are expensive on the island, so having a rental car is a plus, a big plus if you want to see the sights around the island. It can cost 50 euros or more to get from the airport to the hotel and another 50 back to the airport. Two restaurants one fancy, one not so fancy in the hotel. You do also have a bar with a limited menu at the hotel. The breakfast buffet is a good deal.
We did run into a problem with the hotel not lettting us know that the day before New Year's Eve there was a fireworks show and only one menu for both restaurants. Worked out OK in the end as we could order room service and got a nice spread for 40 euro.
This is not the place to stay if you are looking for the beachside but practical if you want access to the Fort de France center. People in the bar couldn't have been nicer and despite our very limited French were very accomodating and helpful.

Room tip: We paid extra for the bay view, it was worth it for us but others many find the hills view preferable.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2018

We stayed here 4 nights after arriving from a cruise.
We've arrived at the hotel with about 15 other guests at 11:00 am and we were received by two polite female receptionists which seemed to be surprised with our arrival as of we haven't had made any prior reservation (which we did). Following, we were all sent to the bar at the front of the hotel with a beautiful view.
As no service was offered or information about facilities were given by waiters or hotel staff, the group went after drinks and thought that a coffee espresso machine at the wall near the restaurant was available for self-service and complimentary. By our surprise, one hour after everybody had already served themselves with a couple of coffees, a not unfriendly but quiet dry and nervous acting waiter came charging everybody with 3.50 Euro per coffee accepting cash or credit card only (instead of charging to our future room number). We found this unacceptable as it should have been a complimentary service due the fact that some members of the group were disable and no longer in condition to wait for the FOUR HOURS that WE ALL had to WAIT to be able to enter our room.

The room and bathroom are spacious, modern and with a great view. They were clean but the bathroom shows signs of lack of maintenance (please see picture).

Room service charges extra 10 EURO, and this is something I have never seen in another hotel. This is unacceptable for a hotel charging about 150 Euros per night...

We expected in a so called 4 star hotel at least an iron machine and board available in the room. Instead, they have an ironing space on the 4th floor where we have to walk through the hotel carrying all our clothes to get ironed.

Fitness is a joke....a very small room with almost no equipments...

We've checked out with a young (French) male staff, he was polite (not friendly), and it went OK.

We've stored our suitcases around 12:00, and we went to town, upon our arrival (around 14:00), we went to collect our suitcases and asked a staff member at the reception to call us a taxi. This staff was a much older man (perhaps French, in the 60's), and he was cold, distant, with a lack of client hospitality, definitely in the wrong place. He gave us the worst image of the Simon hotel. By the leaving the lobby he didn't even said a simple "goodbye" ......we were totally ignored...

We want to add that the staff from this hotel is very unhelpful.. You make a simple phone call requesting anything and you have to do it yourself.

Absolute no assistance with the suitcases, or when the the suitcases need to be brought to the storage room and etc... (during check-in or check-out).

Rooms can be noisy (especially every time a cruiseship arrives or people at the bistro under the hotel decides to get drunk in the evening...).

Food at the hotel is very expensive

Shower is good but...there is a transparent glass wall between the shower area and the room. So no privacy while taking a shower.

The location is good, but for this price and lack of good service, there are several other hotels in the center of the city, like Karibea and Fort Savane, for example.

Room tip: Maybe....opposite the waterfront, at the back of the hotel...but streetside with cars driving...
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank FrankdeVries
Reviewed December 28, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I are here now at this in reality 2 star hotel with IKEA furnishings. After day 1 here are the issues we have experienced:
1) After booking a “quiet room” we were put in a room where for 8 hours out of the day starting at 8a awful Zydeco cruise band music blasts loudly from the outside. Trying to get a new room is an ongoing process...
2) Breakfast buffet. The key word is “buffet”. Eggs ran out 10 minutes after we arrived and paid 30 euros. We were told the eggs weren’t being replaced. Apparently “buffet” to this hotel means once it’s gone it’s gone as opposed to what other places might do and replace items that are gone.
3) Check in. We waited 45 mins for our room after we were told to check in at 3p.

That was day 1. My hope is that there won’t be any issues with this hotel on day 2 but I will update this review if there are more...

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank DarthBeltran