“Limited”

Fort De France, Le Gossip
Reviewed May 26, 2017

Well, it was a good place just for being not home, but otherwise not impressive. As a disabled person with a scooter, the ferry ride to the other side was a no. The sidewalks and streets were VERY NARROW and not very ADA friendly. The market place was nice (I love the sights and smells of island spices and wares). The people can be a bit rude. Because it was a Sat. everything closed early and I did not get my french pastry :-(

Reviewed April 27, 2016

Our ship docked at Fort De France and I had read other reviews prior saying the same negative things as my title...should have listened and relaxed on boat...come off the boat and had to walk through a market where everyone had the best price for you...lol..try bargaining they did not want to budge until we came back through and were saying bye now...oh now you can charge it lower? Hmmmm...anyway after leaving the market you come out to a giant parking lot with a main road that was completely under construction..there were nothing but blocks and blocks of stores side streets dirty alleys etc..where is the beach? They do not take to you very kindly if your do not speak the native french or any french...went to a pirate bar Le Black Pearl before we went back to ship...it was not what we thought..not pirate y at all..in fact music was emo crap...whatever...never again!

2  Thank Sioned1
Reviewed February 19, 2016

Fort-de-France is a bustling town where the young and hip hang out. It’s a old and modern city as well with great architecture. The road of the Trace towards Morne Rouge takes you to a different sode of Martinique.

1  Thank Shirley M
Reviewed December 11, 2015

This is a great place if you are looking for something local or souvenirs to bring back home or to eat some awesome food in one of their restaurant. In one store they sell their hand made soap and it just smells so good in there. Of course I bought some. There are many shops to buy pottery (hence the name) so you can go all crazy. In one of the jewelry stores my husband bought me a ring that my son lost in the car. (yes, I gave it to him to play with….) And there is one store with local spices so we got ourselves a bunch.

These are just my top five of the trip but we did so much more. However, because my husband’s sister Evelyne and her husband live in Martinique they showed us the real deal. We attended her birthday party with the most awesome local food. Evelyne is crazy into sports for a long time. She is giving sightseeing and hiking – diving and snorkeling tours in Martinique. So she proposed one day to pick us up early in the morning to show us the nicest spots and the best views. So with our baby carrier as mentioned early we all left at 9am. She had all the equipment needed for a trip like this (nordic walking poles, backpack with water supply through a tube etc.). So I have to say the trip was tough but insane-reaching-my-limits-awesome. We ended up at Anse Noir – a beach with black sand. There we had lunch that she brought. Sandwich with sliced spicy cucumbers, carrots and a cod fish vegetable salad on a baguette. It tasted like heaven, especially the workout we had done previously.

Fort-de-France is also a great place to visit. Nice city to spend a morning or late afternoon because it was very hot when we were there at noon. Visit the local market there for spices and local food. There is a plethora of clothing stores if you want to go crazy in that direction. Having had a taste of what the local food cuisine had to offer: DO try Acras crevette (or any other type of Accra – they serve it as an appetizer and it is perfect with your rum), Labmis and Chatrou!

2  Thank Daniela H