Review Highlights

Reviewed March 25, 2019
Tom1021
Chatham, New Jersey
A day at the beach.

My wife and I visited this resort whilst on Martinique. The beach was quite small and the local... read more

Reviewed May 10, 2018
malcolm-oap
Brighouse, United Kingdom

Google
Recommended experiences in and around Martinique
from $15.49
from $126.64
from $54.49
from $332.02
More Info
All reviews cruise ship fort de france bars and restaurants ferry runs us dollars beautiful beach ferries beaches jetty french ocean tons trees rocks
Selected filters
Reviewed April 21, 2019

I had never seen so many boats on the ocean while people were suntanning.

The ocean was calm and we could see fish in the water.

There were rocks as well and trees as well.

Most people on the beach were relaxing.

There were so many people in the ocean, having fun or swimming.

I took my time exploring as always, and I was impressed. My favorite id to walk near the ocean.

What a great place. Wow!

Date of experience: March 2019
Reviewed March 25, 2019

My wife and I were on a cruise ship that stopped at Martinique. We have been frequent visitors to St Martin (especially the French side) and we are unabashed Francophiles so we were looking forward to visiting Martinique. We enjoyed our visit.

We are beach people. On the day before the ship arrived, the excursion lady gave a briefing on the island. She said that there are no good beaches near Fort de France (where we docked) but Anse Mitan is just a ferry ride away and there is a small but comfortable beach there. We decided to try it.

As other reviewers have written, the beach at Anse Mitan is small. It does not go on for miles (or even hundreds of yards). It is, however, a comfortable place to lay in the sun, work on your tan and enjoy the warm Caribbean waters! And as a bonus - you get a ferry ride and an opportunity to try out your French!

Let's start with the ferry. The ferry terminal is very close to the cruise ship dock which makes it very convenient. The price is $9 US (or 7 Euros) per person for a round trip. I am not sure how frequently the ferry runs but we did not have a long wait. The trip is about 20 - 25 minutes. On our ferry, about 60% of the passengers were locals and about 40% were from our cruise ship.

At Anse Mitan, the ferry pulls up to a jetty and the beach is about a dozen steps away. As someone else wrote, the folks from the cruise ship (identified by their cruise ship towels) seem to settle near the jetty and the locals or visitors from France can be found farther along the beach. We rented two chairs for $10 US each and settled in. There were no people selling bracelets or wares - we were not hassled at all.

We bought drinks from a bar near the jetty. The barmaid did not accept dollars (only Euros) so you would do well to have a few in your pocket. She was not rude - she was very polite but Euros was their policy (after all, it is their country!). Not sure what she would have done if I did not have Euros - suppose she would have accepted a credit card or US dollars! There was also a hotel selling food but we did not visit with them.

If you get restless, suggest that you explore the street behind the beach. There are some shops and restaurants to the North side (away from the jetty). We walked the street but did not buy anything.

All in all, we had a good time at Anse Mitan and would return if we find ourselves back on Martinique. I hope you find this review useful and that you enjoy your time on Martinique!

Date of experience: March 2019
7  Thank Tom1021
Reviewed February 22, 2019

Don't even try.

With so many incredible beaches on the island.... go to any one of them but here.

You'll spend half a day finding a parking place (I exaggerate), but for all the effort, it's simple not much compared to all the other places you can find.

Date of experience: February 2019
3  Thank differentname
Reviewed February 19, 2019

Our cruise covered 9 ports to various Caribbean islands over a 2 week period.
We docked in Martinique by default instead of Antigua. It was so obvious that tourists are not welcome. This was a total contrast to the other islands we visited. The ferry employees were verging on obnoxious as were the staff in one of the local bar/restaurants on this beach. Staff ignored us and we were charged extortionate prices for drinks. Ferries were not filled and people were left standing in the blazing heat.
Why do they have to be so mean? Do they never go on holiday? Will never return to this island.

Date of experience: February 2019
2  Thank Islagirl16
Reviewed May 28, 2018

We were coming by cruise ship and took the ferry over to Pointe de Bout and spent half the day there at the beach and then walked to Anse Mitan. I have to say I was a little disappointed.

I don't understand everyone who reports it's such a small beach. This beach is very long with plenty of options to throw your towel down and stay. I didn't find too many chair rentals, unless you were right beside the ferry pier where most of the cruise passengers hang out. We were never once approached to rent a chair or buy anything. The entire beach was pretty crowded and it seemed to be the place for the locals to hang out.

It was just an average beach with nothing special and I didn't find the best snorkeling in the area. The only place to see any fish or coral/sponges was under the dock at the ferry pier. People jump off the dock into the water and were having a good time. They do have ladders from the water up to the pier. Beware though, other boats and the ferry dock right up there so you have to watch out when one is coming in.

There are several restaurants along the area to eat from fine dining to burgers. However, beware of the pricing because it is very expensive and we were ripped off. Not many seem to speak English.

The day we were there, they had 2 ferries running back to back, which was nice. One would be waiting for the other to fill up and then the next would pull up. Beware though, the lines get long fairly fast and early before the ferry comes.

My overall thoughts of this place is that I would probably never come back to visit this particular beach. I felt a much better place that was awesome for snorkeling and a beautiful small beach was Pointe de Bout.

Date of experience: April 2018