“I always love it since first time!!!!”
Review of Flamboyan

and 1 more site!
Flamboyan
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Once again I loved to stay @ The Flamboyan Guest House.
I work the first Friday of every month @ Vieques and whenever I can I stay over the weekend and after many years from hotel to hotel I found the place I like for different reasons:
1. Spectacular beach front view.
2. Nicest location, on top of the action, just steps from the nicest bars, restaurants and where the action is going on.
3. Affordable prices when comparared with others called "'boutique hotels."
4. Rooms are very clean and have the essential for a comfortable stay.
5 "Charlotte the lovely owner always manage to have everything set for our stay.
I really love it and I don't change it for any other, kind if busy street but is also nice to stay where everithing is so close.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Flamboyan

Reviewed February 3, 2010

I've stayed at Flamboyan four times. On my last trip to Vieques we were due to stay with friends but there was some confusion, it was raining, it was Friday night, my friends had a 3 year old, it was all going wrong - until I rang Flamboyan. Charlotte rescued us with 2 rooms for 2 nights. As always they were clean and well cared for ... thank g*d. It kept raining for all 3 days so we were happy to have somewhere we could call home. Unfortunately Friday night involved party night downstairs at Duffy's so it was loud, way too loud, till 2am and we had no choice but to sit under the umbrella on the balcony, listen to regaeton and play dominoes. After all we had come to have fun! Fortunately Saturday night was less frantic and the DJ below played amazing Salsa, R&B and Funk which made the drinks on the balcony worth while. we made friends with locals and had a great time.
the sheets were clean, the bed comfortable, sunset amazing, the decor not my taste but exactly what I would expect at an inn by the sea..... yeah the rain sucked, but I will stay at Flamboyan again for it's location, sunsets and the owner's boundless hospitality

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Be warned: The very LOUD dance/club music from Duffy's downstairs goes until 2 AM on weekends & kept us WIDE awake during our "relaxing" stay!

We visited Flamboyan Guest House for a long weekend and our somewhat small/no frills room was never cleaned, no fresh towels provided and the only soap in our room was 'hand soap' by the sink!

We never met Charlotte in person or ANY other staff during our weekend stay - so I am curious how everyone else raved about her hospitality.

Overall, the hotel appeared somewhat dirty & run down to us - like no one cared about it's upkeep or appearance -

Would 100% definitely stay elsewhere if we could redo our vacation- Please save yourself the headache & stay elsewhere

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank Enjoyingtheride2010
Reviewed January 26, 2010

This was our third stay at the Flamboyan and plan to stay there on future visits. Having stayed in 3 different rooms, we have found them clean, light, and nicely furnished. The porches offer a fantastic view of the Malecon and ocean and a great place to relax and hang out. Charlotte has some personal touches i.e.a shelf of books for guests to read, coolers, beach towels and bags. We have gotten to know Charlotte and find her a delightful hostess who has taken a personal interest in us as guests. No where else have we been able to settle in our room, rest or clean up prior to the check in process. Be aware that Saturday nights can be loud from the bar below, (guests at Bananas next door have to hear it also) but even though we do not do the bar scene, the music has not presented a problem for us.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lovestotravelIowa
Reviewed September 8, 2009

By the time we made it across to Vieques we were definitely ready to settle into the hotel room we booked. We were dropped off right out front of the Banana's Restaurant and found our host Charlotte waiting for us. She proceeded to tell us her electricty was cut and therefore we could not stay in the room we booked with the view of the water and there were no other hotel rooms available in Esperanza. Instead we were to get in her vehicle and she would take us down the street to a rental house. Needless to say I was pretty angry because this house, even though it was very nice, was not what we booked. We really had no choice as to what to do so we stayed at the house. We ended up having a great evening, wonderful dinner at El Quenepo, met lots of local people at the areas bars and had a great sleep in this house. Would definitely go back to Esperanza but not sure if I would trust Charlotte with our reservation again. She did take care of us but did not offer to reduce the rate because the room wasn't what we booked.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AmyBDugan
Reviewed August 26, 2008

The Flamboyan is 4 guest rooms on the second floor of a building on the main tourist street in Esperanza, pretty much right on the Caribbean. My girlfriend and I stayed in room 2, but all four of the rooms are very similar. The rooms are quaint, nice, clean and fairly new from what we could determine. All of the rooms have completely amazing views of the Caribbean. For my girlfriend and I, the Flamboyan was pretty much what we wanted in terms of a place to stay while on Vieques. The Flamboyan is above a tourist bar called Duffy's. To my girlfriend and I, staying above Duffy's was both good and bad. We ate and drank at Duffy's twice. It's decent bar food that might be slightly overpriced (although every time we went out to eat it seemed expensive while on Vieques).

Duffy's is a very active bar but never seemed to be too overcrowded. It's filled with mainly tourists, but sometimes locals are there too. The bartenders and staff were adequate. Duffy's plays classic rock all day long. I dont ever remember hearing the music in our room, Room 2, but when you leave the room and go downstairs, you cant help but hear the music. Im a music lover but not a classic rock fan. I get annoyed fairly easily by noise, and all of the classic rock never bothered me. If you like complete serenity, then maybe the Flamboyan isnt for you; maybe you should stay at a guest house that's in one of the quiet Esperanza neighborhoods away from the main tourist street, away from the Malecon (public ocean viewing area).

So, the main tourist street in Esperanza is on the Malecon. The main tourist street can get busy with cars, but let me put it this way: the kind of tourist activity that Esperanza has is nothing compared to the madness of tourist spots like Cancun, South Padre Island, Miami Beach etc. Esperanza is sleepy and even the most tourist of tourist spots, like the main tourist street in Esperanza, is not very busy. It's not big enough to be busy. There arent any chain hotels, and we never saw any buildings above 2 stories. Even when the main touist street in Esperanza is at its busiest on a weekend night, it was still relaxed and subdued. My girlfriend and I live in Austin, Texas and we found the Malecon area of Esperanza to be sleepy and yet convenient to many beaches and within a few blocks of many restaurants, souvenir shops, and places to rent snorkeling gear and bikes. If you want to stay somewhere ritzy, then dont stay at the Flamboyan. You might investigate some of the swanky new hotels on the other side of Vieques in Isabel Segunda. We liked Esperanza better than Isabela Segunda.

The Flamboyan is not extravagant in its accommodations. But it's very competitively priced compared with other accommodations nearby. To my girlfriend and I, the Flamboyan was the nicest and cleanest of the accommodations we investigated for its price. Before we stayed in Vieques, we stayed at the Comfort Inn in San Juan. The Flamboyan was much better than the Comfort Inn. We liked staying at the Flamboyan. Outside of the four rooms at the Flamboyan is one small mini fridge, a sink, a coffee maker and coffee. In our room, the new queen size bed was comfortable and the bathroom was nice and new and clean. It was decorated in kind of an island theme, which wasnt our thing, but it wasnt offensive either. The Flamboyan is nice and new for a good price. And the views are amazing.

Three of the rooms have balcony porches that face the Caribbean. My girlfriend and i loved sitting on the porch watching the sun rise and set. Perfect. It's also great to be able to walk across the street to the Malecon and enjoy the sunrise or sunset while being able to hear the waves. That's one thing that i really liked about Esperanza. There's almost no surf. The waves are less than six inches high. Amazing. The water is incredible. We went in January and the water was perfect. We thought it was going to be too cold, but it wasnt. I loved being able to snorkel across the street from the Flamboyan. For a first timer to Vieques, I think that staying in the Flamboyan in Esperanza is perfect. Then when you get to know Vieques, you can stay somewhere else the next time.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank ReefL0ver
Reviewed July 22, 2008

If you are in your early to mid twenties and do not mind NOT having basic amenities of a hotel then this is the place for you. Do not expect soap. Do not expect to ever receive clean towels no matter how long your stay is. If you are locked out of your hotel room do not expect management to help you out (or in). This place is cute and has been remodeled but it is above a bar and is not safe. If you do stay take anything valuable with you when you are not in your room. I will not divulge why you should take your valuable stuff with you out of safety for people who make the mistake of staying there but we discovered something truly alarming about the door locks. This place could have great potential but is extremely poorly run. The bar down stair which is not affilated with the hotel has great drinks and we found the bartenders there to be more helpful then hotel management.

I truly hope the owner/manager reads this review and makes some very important changes to their hotel.

All in all Vieques is an island that seems to be reluctant to wanting much tourism so if you do decide to go I would recommend NOT staying at the Flamboyan rather stay next door at Bananas.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank Travel12350
Traveldad55, Owner at Flamboyan, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2009

I am the owner of Flamboyan Guest House, and am only now seeing your July review -- really wish I had known about your dissatisfaction earlier, so I could have done something about it.

Just can’t imagine what could possibly have happened that you did not have soap or fresh towels --we have never, ever had that complaint before, or since! You have my most sincere apologies. We routinely supply our guests with plenty of bath towels and beach towels, as well as beach mats, and have a policy of replacing them whenever a guest asks.

Please call me or email me with any information you can provide about the safety or lock security issues. We have never had a safety problem, and will do whatever we might need to do, for our guests always to be 100% safe.

My only recollection of any issue with lost keys was one from around the time of your stay. It was a call at about 4:30AM one morning to report that one member of the party was inside the room sound asleep, and had the key. I roused myself and was preparing to come down the hill from my home, a block away, when I received another call saying never mind, we finally got in. This may be the same problem you have mentioned --I do not know. In any case, I live close enough to Flamboyan Guest House to be able to respond at any time of day or night to any problem my guests might have. If something I said on the phone, as I came out of a deep sleep, seemed less than friendly that particular night, again, I do apologize sincerely.

Vieques is a wonderful, friendly and relaxing destination --please come back and try us again.