“Josie&Ben” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Josie&Ben”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed in Kathy's double room for 5 nights and had an excellent time there. Kathy was very helpful as soon as we arrived, and informed us of pretty much all we needed to know for our time in Vieques. The room was a great size, clean, very comfortable bed and air con worked well. Kathy lent us her cool box and sun chairs every day, which was brilliant for our trips to the beaches. We had no problem with noise whatsoever (except for the nearby roosters in the morning!!) and felt very at home at Kathy's place. In addition, when her washing machine broke down, she made sure we had access to her neighbours, which was great.

We loved Vieques, and would definitely recommend visiting the island and staying at Casa de Kathy!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
casadekathy, Owner at Casa de Kathy, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
It was a pleasure to host these guests who came all the way from England to visit Vieques and enjoy our beautiful beaches. They stayed in the studio apartment which is perfect for two people. I am very fortunate to have the pleasure of receiving many happy people looking for a relaxing getaway. And even more fortunate when they take the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. Thanks!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

We were only in Vieques for two nights but we enjoyed our stay with Kathy. The room was large and smelled great thanks to the fresh cut flowers. Kathy had aloe plants for our sunburn and a sweet dog. She helped us get a ride to the ferry last minute and advised us on beaches. Pretty much all I could need. Will definitely use her place again when I return.

• Stayed August 2012
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

Pros
Near the malecon
Room was clean and organized
Air conditioning
Host provided helpful information about Vieques' history and local hotspots
Beautiful horses roam the neighborhood

Cons
No windows... Just shades with screens so it is very noisy
A lot of bugs... I got tons of bug bites... even while lying in bed
No TV
No dryer
Broken washing machine
Limited Wi-Fi... No video or audio streaming

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
casadekathy, Owner at Casa de Kathy, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
I am happy that this guest noted several positive things about my guest house and the area. He lists a few issues he encountered which can be addressed easily.
1) There are FOUR normal windows in this room. They are metal-slat jalousie windows with screens which are common in the tropics for maximum ventilation and good views. This is a quiet, residential area and I am not sure what noise he is referring to.
2) I am sorry if this guest was bitten by mosquitoes. This room is generally free of mosquitoes. I provide bug spray and a mosquito wand for that pesky mosquito that may sneak into the room. The room looks onto a pretty, garden area with flowers and plants so some mosquitoes are a natural occurrence. We have a good breeze which also deters mosquitoes.
3) I do not offer TV because the vast majority of my guests do not require it. I do offer DVD's and a small DVD player. Most visitors to Vieques come to spend long days at our beautiful beaches and to visit our Bioluminescent Bay at night. Most evenings are spent having a relaxing dinner in one of the many restaurants on our ocean-front boardwalk five minutes from my place. The neighborhood abounds with natural wonders, from ocean views to spectacular Flamboyant trees to elegant horses blessing the landscape. Our nights bring a symphony of frogs and crickets and bright shining stars. This is the entertainment many visitors seek in Vieques.
4) The day this guest asked to use the washer, I was on my way to a store in the main island of Puerto Rico to buy a replacement for the one that broke down a couple of days before. I now have a new washer that is available for my guests. In a land where the sun is plentiful, I use the sun to dry clothes and am happy to contribute to sustainable energy goals.
5) The guest was correct that I did not offer audio or video streaming, but web browsing and email access was provided. Unlimited internet service has not been available in this area. I am currently speaking with a provider offering a new service in my area to see if my service can be improved.
Paz, Kathy
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

We spent three nights in the Studio apartment at Casa de Kathy. It was immaculate, large and comfortable! The location in Esperanza is perfect! You are able to walk many places in no time at all. It was just a short walk to the Malecon.

Kathy is the most gracious hostess! Her knowledge and love of Vieques is heartwarming. She shared her documentaries on the struggle of Vieques with us.
The island itself is beautiful! We spent time at Sun Bay Beach, Esperanza and Santa Isabel.

We cannot wait to return to Vieques and we will definitely stay at Casa de Kathy!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hershey, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

what a wonderful welocme here. we enjoyed our 1 night stay here while in vieques. the snorkeling is excellent, and the island has such a laid back feeling. we loved every minute of it. next time we come to puerto rico, we will just come straight to vieques island and stay at casa de kathy! and angie was the best driver/ tour guide ever! thank you kathy for the awesome refferal!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jrcsdude
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

We spent several day exploring Vieques in May 2012. Staying at Casa de Kathy made our trip even more enjoyable. The room was clean and spacious. Kathy was able to tell us about the local beaches and restaurants -- all were fantastic! Abe's Biobay tour did a great job - the bay is truly spectacular. We have stayed on a number of Caribbean islands -- the beaches are very clean on Vieques and there are lots of fish just a short swim from the beach. Kathy provided great information on where the best fish watching was on the beaches -- very helpful especially since one of the beaches is 1/2 mile long. We would love to return some day.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
casadekathy, Owner at Casa de Kathy, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
It is great to hear how much you loved Vieques and that your stay at Casa de Kathy wwas pleasant. I am an avid snorkeler and love to share my favorite spots with my guests. Of course, it is also nice to learn of a spot I hadn't appreciated until one of my guests tells me of the colorful fish and reefs that they saw. My snorkeling guide to the most popular spots is posted on my web site for everyone to use. Looking forward to seeing you again!
San Salvador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

Imagine finding yourself immerse in a tropical island where you are surrounded by history and beautiful beaches that resembles those shots that appear in your screen saver. This idyllic paradise is easy to reach by ferry or air taxi from Puerto Rico. Casa de Kathy will be a great base to explore the island and you will feel that is your home away from home during your stay in Vieques. Centrally, located in Barrio Esperanza (southern part of Vieques), Casa de Kathy provides all the essentials for a comfortable stay in Vieques. The studio is ample and comfortable for two people. The A/C works great! The Kitchenette and fridge is a plus, considering that you would like to keep some snacks, cold beer, soda or water to cool your thirst after exploring Playa Caracas or Playa Sun Bay. Kathy is a welcoming host, always eager to share her expertise and experiences on Vieques history, its past and current struggles and best places to have a great local seafood, a hamburger, or just a cold beverage after snorkeling and swimming in semi-deserted white sands beaches. Give it a try and you will be telling friends about one of the best-kept secrets in the Caribbean and a great place to explore this remarkable island.

Blue beach was great. Make sure to explore the fort, Conde de Mirasol in Isabel II. If you need some grub, the Burgers at Duffy’s hit the spot and the bloody Mary in Trade Winds for Weekend Brunch will make the trick. For the best local food, try El Resuelve outside of Isabel II, the best lunch in town—hefty portions and fresh food, reasonable price ($7-15).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank martinae94
casadekathy, Owner at Casa de Kathy, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
I am always glad to share advice on restaurants - we are lucky that all of the nearby restaurants are good. On weekends, local vendors sell from roadside kiosks - which is a great chance to experience Viequense cuisine. I am glad you mentioned El Resuelve because it is one of very few remaining restaurants where the local "comida criolla" is available in the evenings. My other favorite is El Fogon for great seafood. If we keep patronizing these restaurants, we will help keep them going. Both require transportation because they are near Isabel II. It was a pleasure having you stay at Casa de Kathy.