“Great place to stay while in the beautiful islando of Vieques” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Alta Vista

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Casa Alta Vista
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Jacksonville
“Great place to stay while in the beautiful islando of Vieques”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2009

We went to Vieques with extended family after a nephew's wedding. We rented two rooms (the two bedroom and the family room). It was low season so Mark let us rent one of the room for only one night since part of the family was leaving the next day. The rest of us stayed for two nights.

For those of you that love a remote island with the most beautiful beaches then Vieques is for you. The accomodations are very simple, nothing fancy at all. But the service at Casa Alta Vista is great. Mark is such a great person willing to answer any question and help you out anyway possible. The cleaning lady also went out of her way to make sure we were fine.

The hotel was only a 3 minute walk to the main small town of Esperanza. About 3 blocks away there is a little supermarket and a bakery so we visited it quite a few times.

Our trip was amazing. We are certainly going back to Vieques and staying at Casa Alta Vista once again. A great value, clean rooms and a great owner. Thanks Mark!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

We LOVED VIeques!!! The Casa Alta Vista folks were wonderful and all the other rooms were probably awesome, but don't stay in No. 1. It's downstairs, with no view, and a poor patio. It is handicapped accessible. This hotel was great for being close to everything in Esperanza. And the prices are very reasonable. This is a 3 level hotel, with a rooftop terrace. The terrace was not attractive, but we didn't waste time at the hotel with all the great beaches on Vieques.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
vasyr
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

My friend and I stayed at Casa Alta Vista this past weekend for just one day. Many places would not allow us to stay for such a short time, but Casa Alta Vista accommodated us with pleasure.

We were running VERY tight on time... we took a público from the ferry and by the time we arrived to the hotel, we only had 15 minutes to check in, drop our bags, change clothes and get back to the front of the place for the tour bus to come pick us up. The young woman working the front desk (had dark hair just past her shoulders, I totally forget her name) was SO great to us! She understood we were running on a tight schedule so she gave us a quick run-down of things, got us checked in VERY quickly, gave us some emergency contact numbers, and helped us get up to our room. We made it to the tour bus just in time.

The next day, we had to look up information on some car rental agencies for when we returned back to the main island. We also wanted to do some quick sight-seeing while we were waiting for the next ferry. She arranged our transportation back to the ferry, helped us look up information on car rentals, directed us to a great little bakery nearby, showed us how to find a hidden beach with an amazing view, and more. She chatted with us a bit and REALLY made us feel at home. I am a very inquisitive person... I always ask too many questions but she was very pleasant and more than willing to answer all of my typical tourist questions.

The facilities are actually in good shape, considering the age of most of the buildings on the island. I read some of the complaints from other guests that stayed here before; honestly, I think they are just being WAY too picky. We were very happy with our accommodations. Our room was very clean, had hot water, a/c, a small fridge, cable TV and comfortable beds... not fancy but it was just perfect and worked well within our budget. I'm a little bit of a clean-freak when it comes to hotels and I felt very comfortable sleeping here, which says a lot.

By the way, there ARE roosters roaming the entire island... no matter where you stay, you will hear them. However, Casa Alta Vista is far enough away from where most of the chickens hang out so the crowing was off in the distance and didn't wake us up. I was really worried about not getting enough sleep, but it was no problem.

Also, Casa Alta Vista is located right down the road from the Malecon, only about a 3 - 5 minute walk. My friend and I walked down there at 10:00pm and felt very safe walking along the road. The road is very well-lit and it's literally right around the corner.

My friend and I both made the comment to each other than when we come back next year, we are definitely staying at Casa Alta Vista again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

Casa Alta Vista is a great choice for any traveller who is looking for an affordable base to explore the island from. It is a little further from the main street, but only by minutes. It is by no means luxury accommodations but it has all the basics with a few perks!

- Each room has a little "porch" in front of it with lawn chairs, great for groups to lounge around after dark
- No frills continental breakfast to start the day
- A little convenience store right downstairs in case you need anything
- Cheap rentals! Bikes, snorkel gear, towels, chairs, umbrellas...
- Great service. The owner gave us lots of advice on how to explore the island, but a special thanks to Michelle (I think) for worrying about us and calling when our flight was delayed.

We found everything we needed here for a fun, laid-back island experience.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hykwok
hoyadbcoach
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2009

Let me preface this by saying I am not one that prefers all inclusive travel. I more prefer laid back hidden gems. I have stayed and loved hostels in Spain, laid back beach resorts in West Africa, Rincon Puerto Rico and Mexico. I like off the beaten path places, so my critical review is not due to being one who prefers high end accommodations because I do not.

With all that said, I thought Casa Alta Vista was overrated by its Trip Advisor reviews. I feel like the location is good, and the service is OK, but everything about the hotel is very very average.

The service is OK, the people are friendly, but the continental breakfasts are coffee, muffins and warm milk and cereal. I feel like they nickle and dime you on certain things. The set up of isla vieques is one that it is difficult to bring a lot of luggage in, so people do not bring coolers, beach towels, umbrellas, etc and they charge you for this which I feel is exorbitant. Hectors By The Sea and other places include these in your room for free.

The rooms are OK. The A/C in room 11 made a lot of noise if it was on for more than a few minutes so it was difficult to keep it on when you sleep. In addition, there is no staff at the hotel after 7:30 so if there is an issue, you best wait it out until morning. All this is OK if you are paying 50-60 dollars a night or are staying at a hostel, but for the rates they charge it is not good business.

The owner is also not friendly. He likes to burn CDs, but not interact with his customers and see if they are enjoying their stay. Hector and Mary of Hector's by The Sea make rum drinks and give tips to their visitors. This guy never even said hello.

All in all I loved my stay in Vieques. I would advise anyone to go, but I would stay at Trade Winds, Hectors By The Sea or Villa Coral before I went to Casa Alta Vista.

I will probably return, but I will look to stay elsewhere. E-mail me at HoyaDBCoach@yahoo.com if you have any more questions.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank hoyadbcoach
chicago, il
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2009

my husband and i stayed her with my sister and brother-in-law for four nights. the two rooms we had were clean, straightforward, and a great value for the money. they are not big or fancy: but, when you're in vieques, you really only use the hotel room to sleep and shower!

the hotel's location is excellent: close enough to the bars and restaurants along the beach in esperanza, but far enough away from the action to be quieter and more peaceful. the staff at the hotel was knowledgeable, friendly, and so accomodating: we loved that we could pick up beach chairs, a cooler, snorkel gear, and a few snacks/drinks in the lobby before heading out to the beach.

the rooftop deck has beautiful views of the ocean and mountains: be sure to check it out at sunset.

of course there were some regular island "noise pollution" factors here: roosters crowing, dogs barking, and the noise of the rain on the roof; however, that was all par for the course when staying in a more remote location like vieques. those factors would not dissuade me in the least from staying at casa alta vista again. we loved our visit here and hope to return someday...

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ziggy1177
Huntington Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2009

If you can put aside the dogs barking at 3 AM, the cold showers, spider webs on the ceiling, which is metal, so during a rainfall sounds like you're being shotgunned, your neighbor's toilet flushing sounding like it is in your room, dingy rooms...this is the place for you. Just around the corner we discovered Esperanza Inn at the same rate, but with lovely guestrooms and kind new owners... They are even closer to the malecon and provide a great continental breakfast in a kitchen rather than Alta Vista's storefront area. Must say Allta Vista's refrigerator and fan worked well. WILL NEVER RETURN!!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple