“W” 4 of 5 bubbles

SeaGate Hotel
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“W”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2011

Our stay at the Seagate hotel will be remembered by our family forever!! The people at the Seagate are extraordinary! Our plane was late taking off meaning we would not make our flight out of Ceiba to Vieques. I called Penny she arranged everything. She had a cab waiting for us at 12:00am, arranged a hotel in ceiba close to the airport changed our flights from Ceiba for the next day and had a cab ready for us in the morning to the Ceiba airport. WOW!!
As soon as Erma picked us up at the airport we knew we "were home." Everyone at the Seagate went out of there way to make us feel welcome, even the other guests.
Part of our youngest (8) Christmas gift was going horseback riding. Dad had never been on a horse and was a little nervous. He has not stopped talking about what a great time it was.
Our children loved this place. They explored and played with all the dogs. The last day they begged to stay and not continue our trip to San Juan. We will Definitely visit this place again.
This place may not offer 5 star amenities but Penny and her staff are 5 STAR!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

This is a nice Puerto Rican guest house. The accommodations were no frills but I found my stay there to be extremely pleasant. I noticed some other reviews mentioned smelling the horse droppings. They do keep horses on the property but I only noticed the faint odor when walking by the gate to the horse paddock. This island is filled with horses roaming around so I can't hold it against them for having some on the property. Penny sat down with us for a while and went over all the things to do on her island and was even able to rent us a car for the weekend. I really enjoyed my stay there and you should too.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

The owner picked us up at the ferry dock and took all 10 of us to her hotel. The hotel sits on a hill on a very pretty piece of property. There was a free breakfast every morning that was delicious. The owner was very helpful and provided us with everything that we needed during our stay! The rooms were very nice and they have a beautiful view. Our whole family enjoyed her place very much!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Mansfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

Penny and Lawrence were great! They picked us up and dropped us off every time we needed and u can rent a car from them, Lawrence knows so much about the island and will help you out with just about anything. I got stranded at the ferry with my husband and 3 children after I checked out and they picked me up so my children and I would not have to wait in the heat all the day for tickets and they let us stay no questions asked. I am so thankful for there help. The rooms are very nice and clean and they also have breakfast in the morning which I was pleased about. The Island and the beaches I'm still dreaming about I did'nt want to leave Sunbay and Red beach were my fav's. Next time I'll stay longer then a weekend!!! Sea Gate is really a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2010

Penny and Lawerence are great! We had to leave our vacation house early, on the mainland. Lawrence helped our family get three comfortable rooms, picked us up at the ferry, drove us to dinner, top notch recs. Penny even picked us up because it was raining! They were very accomodating with us, especially on a short notice. They helped us find a great beach to relax on, after a whirlwind of a week. I would definetley stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010
westford,ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2010

Looking out over a valley surrounded by San Francisco like hills without the populace and seeing the ocean, I was the caballero. I felt like a 10 year old boy again catching lizards, travelling in my unbeatable suzuki warrior down dirt roads to paradise. underwater snorkeling within two minutes showed my 8 year old clown fish, blue tangs, and star fish. The fish in Esparanza were delicious and the people so friendly. We thought we were lost at one point - "May _I_ help you?" an old man immediately asked... The downtown in Isabella had one extremely impressionable art gallery. My wife laughed watching the boy and I hunt crab, lizards and shells.

At night, a fan kept us cool enough and washed out the noise of the clucking, whinnies and barks. Seeing wild horses and dogs that were healthy enough and happy enough was very pleasurable for us all. It reminds one of a miniature, manageable, "Romancing the stone".

There was a restaraunt in Isabella whose name I don't remember. It had a rosary and a bullwhip inside the front door. It was around the corner from the pet shop and across from a convenience-grocery-general store. The cook's name was Victor. Wow - awesome wahoo wahoo.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mankatob
miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2010

I can't stop thinking about this island.It was absolutely gorgeous!!Penny,her husband,Lawrence and Irma made staying at the Sea Gate wonderful.Penny's husband even took us to the grocery store so we could get food before they closed...super sweet!!Lawrence was super laid back and Irma was just such a sweetie.Penny seems like an amazing woman!!My girls really enjoyed the horseback ride and exploring the island in our rented Suzuki which was so convenient to get!Our cottage was great,with a full kitchen and the view was amazing.Our days were filled with an ice chest of goodies and Medalla Light and exploring the beaches of this beautiful island.We can't wait to come back,my husband and I are in love with this place!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family