“perfect”

SeaGate Hotel
miami
“perfect”
Reviewed April 14, 2010

I can't stop thinking about this island.It was absolutely gorgeous!!Penny,her husband,Lawrence and Irma made staying at the Sea Gate wonderful.Penny's husband even took us to the grocery store so we could get food before they closed...super sweet!!Lawrence was super laid back and Irma was just such a sweetie.Penny seems like an amazing woman!!My girls really enjoyed the horseback ride and exploring the island in our rented Suzuki which was so convenient to get!Our cottage was great,with a full kitchen and the view was amazing.Our days were filled with an ice chest of goodies and Medalla Light and exploring the beaches of this beautiful island.We can't wait to come back,my husband and I are in love with this place!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Vermont
Reviewed March 28, 2010

As an avid horseback rider, it has been one of my goals to gallop along the beach... it took 26 years years to accomplish this goal... but I found my place at Sea Gate in PR. The scenery was beautiful, the guides were wonderful, horses were lovely and well behaved, but fun. They were able to accommodate both experienced riders and more timid riders within our group simultaneously. We had a blast and will never forget what a lovely time we had. We would have ridden there every day if our trip plans allowed. It was affordable and well worth the money, a good 2 1/2 hour ride through the trails that resembled the jungle, up the roads of the city and to the beach... love this place"

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Columbus, Indiana
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Vieqes is a great island! This fact is supported by the wondeeful people my wife and I met there. We only stayed one night, mainly to take the Bio-Luminesent Bay ECO Tour. I contacted many hotel/motel/B&B's but The Seagate responded quickly and was able to answer my questions. I was able to not only secure a room at a very reasonable price but The SeaGate was able to reserve a spot for my wife and I on the ECO Tour with Island Adventures (Great Company!!). In hind sight and as a suggestion to all reading this review rent a car...at least 2 weeks ahead of time!!! We were a little unnerved by the publicos and their "lights out after dark policy" (no taxis at night). Back to the SeaGate, wonderful people went out of thier way to drive us around! Just amazing! Room was spotless, beautifully decorated and a wonderful terrace overlooking the water and the Fort Conde de Mirasol in all of its grandure. Off the beaten path and up a hill a tad and well worth the trek up the hill. There are a few animals running around and I knew this going in. Be prepard for dogs, chickens, horses and iguanas, a real treat! It really added to the atmosphere here on Vieques. One of the best side trips on vacation I have experienced. SeaGate thank you for making our vacation truly enjoyable! We will come back and see you again!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
US
Reviewed March 10, 2010

I loved this place. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. They provide everything for you from ride to the ferry to car rental, to directions and the owner was really flexible. The view from our room was spectacular and the hotel was very clean and well kept. Its like paradise. Thank you Penny and Lawrence and the rest of the staff!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
upstate New York
Reviewed March 3, 2010

The Seagate hotel is a basic, clean hotel- a perfect spot for exploring the Island. They will also rent you a car. It has lovely grounds with beautiful tropic plants and a distant view of the sea. Penny is an animal lover, so there are dogs, cats and horses abound---which are very well mannered and add to the charm. We would stay here again. Penny went out of her way to be sure that we caught our flight back to the mainland as not to miss our Flight from San Juan.
Getting Vieques can be a little tricky- we took a cab from travel with padin then the ferry for under $100; then took a VAL flight back for just over $100. The flight was under 30 minutes, where the cab and ferry were over 2 hours. Each were unique in their own way.
One small drawback was the early morning animal noices- roosters etc. Again- its how you look at it- an annoyance or part of the ambiance.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed February 13, 2010

Our flight from Boston to San Juan got delayed, so we missed our connection and had to take the last ferry to Vieques, which was also delayed. We arrived at the dock around 10PM in Vieques. Penny met us there, found an open restaurant, dropped us off and then came back to pick us up an hour later! The room was spacious and very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful! Stay in the captain's quarters if you have a few extra bucks....

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Long Island
Reviewed February 11, 2010

This review is only for the horseback ride, as we stayed somewhere else but were recommended to Penny for the horseback tour.
When we first got there, Lawrence (one of the managers) talked to us while the horses were gretting ready. He gave us some great tips (and a little history of Vieques) about the island and was very friendly, a real gentleman.
The horseback ride only involved my wife, daughter and myself. We had two guides, one man and one younger boy (seemed about 16 and was training a young horse while with us... that kid can ride!!!). There was a language barrier to overcome with them, but they were so nice, that just gestures worked out perfectly. My wife was nervous the whole time (kinda scared of horses), which kept my daughter and I laughing. The horses were beautiful, the scenery amazing (and I do mean amazing), the route a little steep at times (which made it all the more fun). We went past a wedding on the beach, and the wedding party all waved to us, which was funny (everyone loves horses). Some parts of out tour were a little less desirable (we needed to go through a path by the island landfill to continue, but they need to dump their trash somewhere too). Once we went through the town and into the countryside and beach, we could really enjoy the beauty of Vieques. Afterward, we spoke to Penny and Lawrence for a while, and they were both very gratious.
I would recommend this tour, and my family enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family