“Lovely place.”
Review of SeaGate Hotel

SeaGate Hotel
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I had a great experience here. The little apartments are pretty, clean, and charming. This isn't some fancy resort, but it is like coming home. Penny is very helpful, and even went out of her way to offer rides to town and back and advise on where to go. I am an animal lover, and it felt great to have a handful of dogs and cats lazing around the property. I grew up riding horses, and when I told her that I really wanted to go out and truly "ride", she gave me a fresh yet trained horse and I had an epic riding experience up through the mountain and along the coast. I could have stayed forever.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jessica B

Reviewed January 29, 2013

The staff here are nice. However the property is dated and, because they operate a horse riding operation on site, there is a noticeable odor at all times.

There are other options for a similar price.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank dpvatty
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The hotel is charming, beautifully located and clean but I personally would not go back. Penny (the owner) snapped at me twice. Maybe this her way of treating her guests as friends as other reviews say. But the truth of the matter is I am not her friend, I was a paying guest and feel I should not have been treated that way. On my first night , my room had no toilet paper. I went to the office to ask for some, no one was there, so I took some paper towel. The next I tried to be polite and discretely said to Penny "do you guys have some extra toilet paper because..." before I could say "my room had no toilet paper" she jumps at me, accusing me of using too much paper, and that the maid had put some there and why I hadn't said anything earlier. I said I tried to ask and no one was at the office and I said I ended up using some paper towel...then she really got flustered and clutched her face and yelled (in front of other guests) "you used paper towel! that plugs the toilet up!" I then had to explain that I had only used a little and the toilet was fine. Some guests actually said they were offended.

Then they actually made me go and clean my bathroom because, the cleaning lady complained...I won't get into the details but it just was not as bad as the cleaning lady said. .I was out on the town and my sister calls me in to clean my room. Despite thinking it strange, I quit what I'm doing, head in, borrow some cleaning supplies from the maid and thoroughly clean my broom. I then go to apologize to Penny and then she quite frankly bites my head off telling me I should have been more observant. I get pissed at this point and say I don't want any more room service, and she argues that thats the maids job. I say that I'm paying for the room, and I only had one more nigh (so why should I care) and Id rather have the privacy at this point.

All in all that is just not how a paying guest should be treated. I was tempted to leave a note "if you expect you guests to thoroughly clean their bath rooms, please leave some cleaning supplies in the room" but I didn't have the heart cause she was otherwise very helpful and nice to my sister and her kids, but it's been on my mind and I felt I needed to say something...oh and if you aren't an animal lover definitely don't go here cause they're everywhere, noisy and get into your room if you're not watching, a problem especially if you have kids...and don't expect much from breakfast, it's sparse.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank irod78
Reviewed January 21, 2013

A few other reviews say this hotel is like staying with a friend, which is totally accurate. Penny is incredibly attentive to her guests' needs, always willing to give rides and recommend restaurants and arrange bio bay trips for you. Location is great: walkable from the ferry and town, but still has the feel of a remote hidden treasure. There are several dogs on the premises that easily befriend the guests.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank emmaliiiiine
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I am, indeed a pedantic guest, and if there is something to complain about, I would find it. I suppose this is all relative, though. If you want boring, commercial, sterile, ordinary, and generic, do not book here. The SeaGate Hotel offers you what I perceive to be the "real deal" in Vieques. Yes, there are plenty of cultural smells and natural noise (the conversations of dogs, roosters, and frogs), but I prefer this to car traffic and human chaos. The horses, dogs, cats, birds, and etc. were wonderful companions and a constant source of amusement. The lush surroundings transported me to another world and escape from the mundane. Penny, the owner, orchestrates the show. She spent many hours with us sharing the history of the territory and her own stories of experience and years living in the area. She adds a personal touch and character you will remember with fondness. If there was a problem, she was there before we could even completely describe it. Bottom line: the rooms are clean, the breakfast tasty (fresh organic eggs and fruit), the bed comfortable, and the service spectacular. Watch for the hummingbirds!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Sea Gate is a beautiful place to stay on one of the most beautiful islands! It is located at the top of a hill that makes for amazing views of the island/ocean. It is also quiet (aside from the animals but I will take birds over ambulances/sirens any day!) and surrounded by an array of plants, animals, and kind people! The Penny and Laurence were helpful, accommodating, and kind! The rooms are clean, authentic, and were more than accommodating for my boyfriend and I. It was no problem getting to and from the Sea Gate (walking, cabs/publicos, in-house shuttle) although if you come on a Sunday expect to go to the Malecon/Esperanza for food ($5 car ride).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Penny and lorence hooked it up . This place is an untapped beauty. This island is growing and growing very fast . I would recomend spending your time at seagate. Not only did they pick us up from the ferry but they rented us a car booked the bio bay tour for us . Thanks penny. Go easy on lorwence Penny.

• Stayed: January 2013
#3 of 7 in Rincon
Villa Coral Guesthouse
Villa Coral Guesthouse
#10 of 28 in Isla de Vieques

Been to SeaGate Hotel? Share your experiences!