“great horseback riding”

SeaGate Hotel
philadephia
“great horseback riding”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

My family and I wanted to ride horses during our visit to Vieques and Penny Miller made sure we had all we needed to have a great time. She was flexible about timing, the age of the riders (I wanyed my 2 yr old in front of me, which was fine), and lack of experience. I learned later she rescued or raised all of the horses on her property - and they were lovely (I saw 5 in action). Our guides Ruben and Ivan were generous and patient as we made our way past houses, farms, pastures, and even the beach (where we rode through the surf). Bottom lone- we had a fabulous time and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Wish we could go again soon.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Reviewed December 21, 2011

The Sea Gate is a wonderfully authentic tropical paradise. Located on a hill to catch breezes and provide a beautiful view, it is within a short walk to town for groceries, shopping, or ferry rides. The suites are charming, clean and decorated with local art work.-Very comfortable and the balconies provide a relaxing place to spend time in the hammocks or lounge chairs. However the main reason I would strongly encourage anyone to stay here is the endless attention that is given to each individual guest to make their island stay easy and thoroughly enjoyable. What ever is needed,questioned, or dreamed of, Penny and Toffer will make every possible attempt to assist with. They are welcome rarities in this age of declining service quality.THIS IS THE PLACE TO STAY ON VIEQUES.

Room Tip: higher rooms probably have a better view rooster do crow all the time - but you are Not in Kansas a...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Our second floor room was wonderful. Comfortable bed and relaxing balcony with beautiful views. Hotel is within walking distance to restaurants but definitely need a car to explore the island. We rented a vehicle from Penny, which I would only recommend if you have no other option. Our jeep wouldn't start when we went out to use it. Penny found us another one- it ran, but barely. Overall though this place is awesome and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Peggey - the owner, and Topher - the concierge - are simply the best. Ive stayed at B&Bs before and never felt this "at home". They helped us find a rental car, when we couldnt get one directly from any of the rental companies - I dont know how!! And They drove us around town till we got it [Its a small island, and the few rental cars there rent out quickly - so book ahead!]. They even showed us around!! We cant comment enough on how awesome these people are.

The room itself has views of the island and the old fort. Esperanza, the south side of the island is a nicer place for strolling around in the evening in my opinion, and all the nicer beaches are there as well - but you absolutely need a car to get around on this island, so living here worked out perfectly for us after all. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I must say, when I first got off the "lancha" I wasn't expecting too much. But as soon as I got to Seagate Hotel, I knew I made the right choice. The place is a hidden gem. The rooms are so warm and cozy. Beautiful views, and great service. But what really made the stay so good was Tofer and Penny. Two of the nicest people I've ever met. It was a pleasure meeting them. Im already starting to plan my next trip with my wife for easter weekend and will definitely stay at seagate. One again, Penny and Tofer, great Duo! Thanks a million.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Omarcflrr
Bemidji, Minnesota
Reviewed November 15, 2011

A wonderful very friendly place to go. I ,like many others always wanted to ride a horse on an ocean beach. I have been around horses all my life, and the Penny and her group have given me the opportunity to live my dream. With well mannered horses, riding down the streets, the ocean beaches, the hilltops were we can see far at the beauty of the island, along with Rueben who was our awesome guide. And a big thanks to my brother who all made it happen , which in 2009 I donated one of my kidneys to him. I can't say enough about this great place if you want to horseback ride on the beaches. I will be back one day for sure.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Wonderful, peaceful, accommodating with great views. Penney and her kind crew really went all the way to help make my work trip into more like a vacation.

Best horseback riding- ever! 2 1/2 hrs of highly diversified terrain - down picturesque back streets of Vieques lined with colorful flowers of all description - and across open fields and paddocks, winding further down to the Atlantic Coast to follow the edge of the shore and occasionally sallying forth into the ocean! Back up into the hills, through the soft horse-high brush and onto several perches where each rider was treated to outstanding views of Culebra and St. John. The clarity of the day eventually gave way to a cooling light drizzle. My mount edged forward, increasing speed as he drew us closer to home (and food!) and I let him have his way, full tilt! Wow, did we fly. - Donald Davidson

Room Tip: Look at the photos on their web site. They are all great.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business