“Best Customer Service”

Hammock House Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Hammock House Hostel
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I didn't meet these Topher and Jake fellows, but Nathan and Suzanne were awesome!
The hostel is pretty utilitarian, but amazingly clean - and those en suite bathrooms are amazing! I don't mind not having a/c when it's a perfect 80 degrees at night. And while the cacophony of chickens in the morning wasn't the wake up call I wanted, and hostel-er with their salt knows to bring sound dampening sleep aids (ie: head phones or ear plugs).
What REALLY made it for me, however, was the above and beyond care of the hosts. As my friend and I labored to reheat last night's chicken and fries for breakfast, lamenting being rained out of our bio tour, A look of sympathy split across Suzanne's face. Suddenly instant oats, coffee, sugar, onions, rice and veggies for frying, and milk all appeared. Before we knew it my group of four, 2 other guests, and Suzanne were all crowded around the table, exchanging stories, plowing through a hearty breakfast, and laughing the night's woes away.

All that for $25pp a night. It was 100% worth it.

• Stayed: August 2013
6  Thank Aubrilee

Reviewed March 30, 2013

After 20 years of hostel travel, I can authoritatively say that Hammock House is the best hostel I've ever stayed in. It is not simply because the rooms are clean, decorated to feel homey, and have an ensuite bathroom; that there is a kitchen and a lounge that feels more like a personal living room, for every few hostel stayers; that there is a rooftop with hammocks and a rocker; that there are hammocks in the front garden; that the hostel is spotlessly clean; it is that Tofer and Jake, the hostel owners, make you feel as though you are their personal house guests. They are ever-present to help their guests arrange transport, hire cars, arrange on-going travel. More importantly, they relate to their guests as though they are a personal friend that they invited and are happy to share their home with. The hostel location is on a local lane, with roosters and wild horses to add to the atmosphere. It is easy walking distance to Isabela II and to the Atlantic beaches, which are the far more interesting beaches on the island. There is a well-stocked supermarket within a few hundred meters as well as an ATM. Though expensive for a hostel, The Hammock House is an experience, not just a bed for the night. Vieques is a wonderful island, but my memories will be of the Hammock House.

Room Tip: I do not think that there would be a room that is a bad choice - the location is a dead quiet neighb...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank GlobalLongwayhome
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Tofer was a great host. He got us beds the same day that we called. He told us all of the best spots to go in town, hooked us up with a reliable driver, and helped us connect with someone to rent bikes for the day. The hostel itself is gorgeous, and I slept like a rock. Thank you Tofer! We'll be back! Pricey as far as hostels go in general, but he gives a cash discount (no tax). And it's the cheapest option on the island.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Such a great experience! Tofer and Jake are such friendly cool guys. They talked with us while we were on Spring Break the night that we stayed at the Hammock House and even gave us there own pasta and sauce to have a late night snack. They also made us peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. You won't find an experience like that anywhere else!

I could not more highly recommend you staying at the Hammock House. 10/10!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were travelling with a group of 9 (two families) and needed a bed for the night so we could do the bioluminescent bay. Not only did Tofer set us up for a great tour with DinDin for less than the commercial tours, he was incredibly helpful in all his suggestions for our group. Beds and bathrooms were clean and Tofer incredibly kind and helpful. So sad they are closing shop at the end of April 2013, as Tofer was a great host. Far exceeded my expectations! Sleep was only affected by the prize cockfighting roosters across the street squawking all night long, but that was beyond Tofer's responsibilities! No one could hush those birds up!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2013

What more could I add to the glowing reviews? This is the best hostel I've ever stayed in. The hosts were the nicest and most helpful people. They go out of the way to help you with anything you need, be it a rental car, booking excursions, restaurant recommendations etc. The place is clean and w/in walking distance of grocery store, car rental agencies, and a cockfighting arena.

Keep in mind this is a hostel, not the Four Seasons. If you need luxury creature comforts such as spa, room service, or Michelin 3 star dining, there are better options on the island. With that said, if you are looking for a clean, safe, and affordable lodging option, this is probably the best bet. Say hi to the owners Tofer and Jake for me!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank johnny206
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This place is definitely the place to stay. The rooms were clean, no bunkbeds, ensuite bathrooms, hot water, several kitchens with what ever you would need, a roof with a great view and a hammock. And you have Izzy the wonderful house dog! Tofer and Jake make you feel like you're staying with a friend they are so amazing and helpful. Whatever you need you will get, towels, recommendations, car rentals, coolers for beach trips, directions, great company, it's all here. From the moment I booked to the day I left Tofer was helpful every step of the way. The place has a great vibe and a fantastic atmosphere. If you get the chance spend the bulk of your trip on Vieques at this place. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple