“Most hospitable place / people I've come across”

Hammock House Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Hammock House Hostel
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
“Most hospitable place / people I've come across”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

What really made this place so awesome were the people. Jake and Toffer (and not to mention Izzy, one of the friendliest and strangely wise dogs you'll meet) go out of their way to make you feel as comfortable as possible. They help you find all the best things to do on the Island at the best price and actively encourage an atmosphere in which fellow travelers can get to know one another. The hostel itself is very comfortable and well maintained. Can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed at the Hammock House Hostel for 6 nights and I just had the most wonderful time. Topher and Jake have a way of welcoming people and making them feel comfortable. I felt like I was part of a family and it made my adventure in vieques amazing. The best part was getting back to the hostel after my day and Topher would ask me how my day was and just listen to me rumble on about my day. They take the time to listen and hang with the guests and this makes it very special. Topher is very knowledgeable of the area which helps and they go out of their way to make sure everyone gets where they want to go with ease. The hostel itself is very clean , they keep the place spotless and bug free as well which I really appreciated. If you are looking for an adventure and looking to meet other cool travellers, then this is the place to be. Easily the best hostel i have ever been in. izzie the dog is also so sweet, she loves people and all the petting she gets. I love the Hammock House Hostel..... Dont think twice, stay here and see what all the buzz is about :)

1 Thank Diana K
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My friends and I stayed here for Christmas. Topher and Jake were super helpful, even before we arrived at Vieques. Topher gave me information about the ferry and how to get to the hostel. The room we were given was spacious and clean. Topher and Jake gave us great suggestions on what to do for the day. They texted me throughout the day to make sure that we were ok. I felt really taken care of! Really sad that we only stayed there for a night. I could have easily spent a few more days there!
Totally recommend a stay at Hammock House if you visit Vieques!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
mumbai
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is 1 of the 3 hostels I stayed in PR and I must say its an amazing place. This place made other ppl jealous of me when I got off the publico which dropped me at the hostel. I guess its the hammocks that make it special.

It inexpensive, clean, and very safe. The mixed room was spacious too.

Jake woke up early morning at 6 AM and drove me to the ferry terminal. I stayed here for just one night and wish I stayed here for longer time.

Pelham, New York
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Wonderful owners, wonderfully clean, great hospitality...and cheapest thing you will ever find on the island. Tofer and Jack will go out of their way ...above and beyond what they should be doing to make your stay wonderful. Great place to meet other travelers. Don't think twice!

Front Royal, Virginia
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Topher, Jake, and Izzie were all awesome. This hostel was the best hostel I have stayed in. It was inexpensive, clean, and very safe. Topher showed us how to get around everywhere on the island. We even had 3 extra friends wanting to stay last minute, and they made sure to find room for them as well, which was great! All the other people staying in the hostel were great as well. I would recommend this hostel to anyone, and will be sure to return if I am ever back in Vieques in the future!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, they have rooms for groups, couples, girls only, and guys only. Don't...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brion2012
VT
Reviewed December 28, 2012

In less than a year, these guys have not only brought affordable lodging to Vieques (a much needed alternative to the pricy hotels and guest houses), they’ve also created a clean, welcoming hostel with a friendly vibe. The rooms are spacious and well kept and definitely worth the price, my bed was comfortable, and the kitchen/lounge area is clean and inviting. And Izzy, the resident dog, is awesome. The hostel itself is in a relatively central location if you have a car or rent a bike, but it’s not really walking distance from most of the island’s main attractions. Tofer and Jake will go out of their way to make sure everyone has a good experience, and they are full of helpful information about where to rent bicycles (Denisse, who they recommended, had good bikes available at good rates, and she even came and picked me and the bike up in Esperanza when an unrelated toe injury made the homeward journey seem implausible), who to call for taxis (the “official” taxi service is great and has an impressive fleet of new vehicles), etc. I wasn’t too impressed with the biobay tour operator they suggested (Dindin), who was probably drunk, drove a broken-down van with doors tied together (very unsafe), and encouraged people on the tour to go swimming in the bay, which he knows is illegal and harmful to the dinoflagellates (however, Tofer and Jake were probably correct in saying that his tour was the cheapest).

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
#1 of 1 in Esperanza
Grateful Souls Hostel
Grateful Souls Hostel
#1 of 7 in Aguada

Been to Hammock House Hostel? Share your experiences!