“island tour of Vieques”

Ranked #27 of 42 Tours in Isla de Vieques
Chicago, Illinois
“island tour of Vieques”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

i was on the island to attend the wedding of a friend and subsequently had short period of time for sightseeing - went to Black Beard sattelite office close the the hotel where i was staying - talked to them about my interest - They arranged a tour of the island for a friend and myself that includedall the usual "tourist" points of interest but also showed us places of interest that were more local favorites, such as, best snorkeling point, preferred local restaurants, etc. Tom was our guide tour - happened to be a history buff and subsequently was able to also make this an educational experience about the history of the island and natural resources, etc. In addition to his knowledge, he was very personable, entertaining and it was a fun trip - best time I had on the island. On the next day, I went on my own to some of the places he pointed out wereof historicl interest - in the time that I had, I planned to visit some historical points of interest and try some of the local restuarants (in liue of hotel food). I requested the hotel to order me a "local" cab and upon reaching my first destination, the driver gave his card for return pick up at Black Beard location in town. Upon calling the cab for pick up, the responder to my call spole only Spanish - which I did not - went into Black Beard for assistance - the staff at Black beard - I believe her name was Cheryl - called the hotel for me - the Concierge who answered told her he was to busy and hung up - she called someone else at the hotel and finally an arrangement was made that was of no cost to me. My point in writing this review was to provide positive feedback about the services i received from Black Beard - staff was exceptionally helpful in arranging the tour to our specific needs and then some as well as being helpful in a situation where the hotel failed to be responsibe. If I ever return to the island I would not hestitate to use their services or recommend to anyone traveling in that direction.

Visited May 2013

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Terrible service, misleading”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Nestor agreed to take a group of 30 people snorkeling in Culebra. We specifically asked for a naturalist guide. He showed up with 10 snorkels, so we had to take short turns. He pointed the direction to snorkel and said go for it. I spent only 40 minutes in the water, looking for turtles in the wrong place, when i had hoped to have several hours of guided observation. There was no interpretation or advice whatsoever. There were no life jackets offered for my students.
He seemed out of it, lying down on the beach.
We had called Nestor because he had been a good guide at the vieques biobay in the past. Unfortunately, he misled us gravely about his knowledge, ability, and equipment when it comes to snorkeling.

4 Thank Kmcmaken