“Great host, great location, nice accommodation, quite affordable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Estancia de Manzanares Guest Rooms
Ranked #13 of 28 Isla de Vieques B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here last January (2013) while we spent about a week in Vieques.

Host- Paul (the owner) was incredible to us. We were undecided on our plans until pretty last minute but the owner was incredibly kind in accommodating to us. From what I recall he was already booked up but let us rent the bottom half of his property (where he was staying prior to our arrival) and allowed us access to one of his vehicles on the days he could. He also picked us up/dropped us off from the airport, shuttled us to the airport one day, gave us some valuable local intel on the island and even invited us out to dinner one night which unfortunately we had to politely decline since my girlfriend and I were both quite sick.

Location- Firstly I want to point out that Vieques is beautiful but in order to see any of it you NEED a vehicle. I am not adverse to walking several hours a day touring around when I'm travelling but vieques is not pedestrian friendly. The roads are narrow with no sidewalks, cars cruise down the roads quite quick and the distances you have to travel on foot before you reach your likely destination is quite far (on foot). That being said if you have a car it's a great spot. The place is located right off the main road that brings you between Isabel Segunda and Esperanza which is pretty ideal since you are basically right in the middle of the island which puts you a short drive (5-30min) from anywhere you want to go.

Accommodation- The place itself was very nice. If you go expecting a 5 star resort you will likely be disappointed but the rest of you will find it suits your needs quite well. As I said we were in the lower part of the house which has 2 bedrooms (one was locked up), a dinning around, good size well equipped kitchen, large living room with satellite TV, two washrooms, and a nice little patio set up out front. Paul did a good job making sure the place was clean and ready for us, even though we caught him last minute and he was occupying the place a few days before he even knew we were coming .

Negatives- The only negative I can say is that because it's located right off a main road but in an area otherwise quite rural area there was a fair amount of noise at night that could make it difficult to sleep if your'e the restless type. There were some wild horses that spooked me a few times when they bashed against the outside of the house at 4am but come on, you went to vieques because you wanted a more undisturbed natural feel. You can't get pissed off because the wild horses decide the house would make a good scratching post.

Value- I don't remember what exactly we paid but I do know that we were very happy in terms of the value we got.

Bottom line- Stay here. As the title suggests, this place is perfect for any budget traveller. Unless you plan to walk everywhere. But then you probably shouldn't go to Vieques.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Justin F
Paul M, Owner at Estancia de Manzanares Guest Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Justin,

I'm very happy I was able to work out accommodation for the two of you even though I don't rent out the house portion of the property too often (in fact only twice so far) I'm glad it worked out for us all.

You were a fun couple and I'm sad that dinner did not work out but so happy that you enjoyed your time at Estancia de Manzanares.

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We are so glad to have found this wonderful place! Paul was a fantastic host! He will transport you to and from the ferry and lends you a car! What a perk! The rooms are basic but who is spending time in the room when visiting paradise? We would stay again without doubt!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

I couldn't have said it better myself. Short and to the point!!!

Thanks for taking the time to review Estancia de Manzanares.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

The rooms were clean, fantastic location and what an awesome Host. Paul the owner makes your whole stay experience even better. He picked us from the ferry terminal, Drove us to the beach and also dropped and picked us from the tour location for bio bay. Paul was very helpful and he makes sure your stay at his B&B is a fantastic experience. We had to take an early morning ferry back to the main island, Paul made sure he made breakfast before we left. The bathrooms were clean. Vieques is a nice and quite place. Will definitely stay with Paul if we go back to Vieques.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ron S

Ron,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and I'm happy you enjoyed your time on Vieques and at Estancia de Manzanares. I was glad to help make your time here as pleasant as possible.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Excellent value. Room is basic, but the reason to come to Vieques is to be outside on the island and beach chairs and towels are included. Having a car or other transportation is essential and Paul has an SUV available for each room. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable (great sheets, Paul!). Paul was very accommodating of our early arrival and late departure, allowing us to fully enjoy all our days there.
Unlike other reviewers, we did find that there was quite a bit of traffic at night, especially on Sunday. We kept the windows open, so the road noise was noticeable. Light sleepers might want to run the A/C and close the windows.
Location is great, near to everything being in the middle of the island.
Paul was a good host and available whenever needed.
Overall, a good experience and we are glad we stayed at EdM.

Room Tip: Verde has a full size refrigerator with freezer. Azule has a mini-fridge with a tiny freezer compar...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beach_addict100

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your stay at Estancia de Manzanares and I'm very happy that you enjoyed your time on Vieques. The best I can hope for is when guest say they will/would stay with us again...THANK YOU!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed at Estancia de Manzanares for a week in October. I think the other positive reviews were right on the mark. This B&B is a comfortable, safe, convenient and pleasant place to stay and a remarkable bargain for the deluxe package (which includes the use of an SUV). The food was wonderful and Paul was a gracious host for our family of three. We found the location to be excellent because it is near the entrance to the reserve on the east end of the island and also convenient to make trips into Isabel Segundo and Esperanza. As a bonus we got a kick out of the visits in the yard by the horses and chickens. Vieques is a wonderful place and when we go back we will plan to stay at Estancia de Manzanares again.

Room Tip: I think the rooms are pretty much identical.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Paul M, Owner at Estancia de Manzanares Guest Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Norman,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at Estancia de Manzanares, it was a pleasure having you and your family stay here.

One of the best things I can read from a review is that you would stay with us again and should you find yourself back in paradise I truly hope you'll stay with us again.

One of my great pleasures in having this B&B is getting to meet so many people from all over the world and you and your family are no exception.

Again, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule.

Safe Travels Always,

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We went to Vieques for the bio bay tour and only needed a place to stay for 1 night. Paul is very helpful and friendly. He provides transportation from/to the airport/ferry terminal and even gave us a ride to Esperanza! They have different packages to suit your needs. The rooms are clean and spacious. Oh, and they are horses walking around!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul M, Owner at Estancia de Manzanares Guest Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I want you to know that it is very much appreciated.

I'm happy to hear that our room suited your needs and the horses are still hanging around waiting for your next visit.

Again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Paul was extremely helpful with anything we needed. Accommodations are basic, but you really don't need much more with the beautiful island at your finger tips. We went to the local fish market and cooked a gourmet meal in our studio. I suggest getting the package that includes the car for ease of exploring! We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Tara K
Paul M, Owner at Estancia de Manzanares Guest Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

First, thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, it is very much appreciated. Second, there is nothing better than to hear our previous guest will return and we look forward to that day.

We like to think of our place a basic too, with a few extra surprises mixed in. We are happy you enjoyed your time on Vieques and your stay at Estancia de Manzanares.