“Hidden treasure” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Estancia de Manzanares Guest Rooms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Estancia de Manzanares Guest Rooms
Ranked #12 of 32 Isla de Vieques B&B and Inns
Naperville
“Hidden treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

If you're looking to stay in vieques in a fancy hotel, then look somewhere else...BUT if you're looking to spend your time on beaches, traveling, enjoying nature then this place is definitely for you!!! We booked this place because Paul gives an option to use his car, which is a must if you you want to enjoy the beauty of the island. He also provides beach chairs, mats, towels, even snorkeling gear! Paul also picks up& drops off at the ferry. Very courteous, caring owner! Highly recommend this place! Thank you, Paul!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Paul M, Owner at Estancia de Manzanares Guest Rooms, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our place, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at Estancia de Manzanares and Vieques.

I enjoyed our beers and conversations, you two are a fun couple and I'd love for you to come back and visit again as I'm sure there a few beaches still to visit.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I was lucky enough to find Estancia de Manzanares on Trip Advisor and congruent to all the previous reviews, the place was perfect for the budget-wary traveler who still wants comfort and cleanliness and above all a friendly and caring host such as Paul, the owner.
The rooms are simple but comfortable with all the necessary amenities like a kitchenette, television, air conditioner, ceiling fans and full bathroom.
Paul provides each room with a set of beach chairs, cooler, beach towels and snorkeling gear for a fun day at the beach. He was so generous in offering to drive us to the beach for the two days we spent in Vieques which saved us a lot of money and hassles. He lent us his car on the last evening we spent on the island so we drove into Esperanza and had a nice dinner.
Overall, it was a more than perfect and comfortable stay. I also wish Paul the best luck on his newest venture, a food cart named "Stella's" which has the promise of delicious food.
-Alfredo

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Paul M, Owner at Estancia de Manzanares Guest Rooms, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Alfredo & Magdalena

I had so much fun getting to know the two of you and truly enjoyed our conversations. Thank you so much for you review and I'm very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay here at EdM and more importantly on VQS.

The "thank you" bottle of wine was certainly not necessary but very very much appreciated (and delicious).

You'll have to come back soon as the horses miss you guys. I hope and trust your journey home was without any problems. I'm looking forward to any pictures you'd like to post.

Again, thank you for the kind words and for choosing Estancia de Manzanares for you lodging needs while on Vieques.

PAUL
Bayamon, PR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a budget friendly place to stay in Vieques for St. Valentine's and came across this little jewel. We decided to book a 3 night stay in Estancia de Manzanares and give the place a shot after reading all of the positive reviews and were very pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. The owner, Paul is one of the nicest guys we've ever met and he will go above and beyond to make your stay as enjoyable and memorable as possible. So let us give you the specifics.

The actual B&B: It may not say much on the outside because it looks like a regular two-story house, but the room was very clean, nicely decorated according to the color (we got the blue room) and well equipped with a full kitchen (fridge and stove) and air conditioner. You have a shared balcony were you can relax and catch the breeze - there's no real view because it's located in the middle of the road. There is no pool, but being this close to the beach we thought it really wasn't necessary. It does have dish network so you can watch TV and it also has free wi-fi - two very cool perks... :)

Location: It is in the middle of Road 997, which is at a 45 second (we timed ourselves) drive to the entrance of the Reserve where most of the best beaches are located so it's VERY conveniently located. It's a 5 minute drive to El Malecón in Esperanza where we had lots of fun at the bars and restaurants and a 7-8 minute drive to Isabel II where the ferry is located. The only downside is that I imagine light sleepers might have some trouble falling asleep because of the occasional speeding car that passes through the road in front, but Paul offers earplugs for that purpose - we didn't find it to bother us at all. The place itself is located on a 2 acre property where the semi-wild horses love to graze and this became one of our favorite things to watch in the mornings when they would come in and drink water from a tub Paul left for them.

Value: AMAZING! You can get breakfast AND a car for about half the price of most of the other "B&B" /hotels regular rate...! Breakfast was really tasty and plentiful. You also get an awesome host! Paul will pick you up from the ferry/airport and drive you back free of charge, he will offer recommendations as to beaches and places to visit and things to do on the island. He really does feel like an old friend and is really a great guy, that was kind of just the icing on the cake for us :)

Bottom line: If you're looking for a place to spend the night, have good breakfast, be close to everything and not break the bank - THIS IS IT! It was a beautiful experience for us, we can't stop talking about the place and we hope to be back real soon!

Room Tip: Ask for the blue studio if you need a fridge.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KrystalPharmD
Paul M, Owner at Estancia de Manzanares Guest Rooms, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Krystal,

Thanks so much for the kind words and I'm so very happy that the two of you enjoyed your stay on Vieques and at Estancia de Manzanares. I hope, in some small way, that we made your St. Valentine's get-a-way special.

One of my goals in opening EdM was to be a nice place for the budgeted and non-budgeted traveler and it's nice to read that I accomplished this goal with your stay.

The horses are still coming and there's a new baby in the group and she loves to play and play so you'll have to come back soon to meet and play with her.

Thank you again for the kind words and I'm very happy that you had a great time here on VQS.

Madison, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My girlfriend and I set up a trip to Puerto Rico in February that went from Old San Juan to the El Yunque rainforest and on to the island of Vieques. We did extensive research into accommodations on the island and considered a number of places to stay. We were on a budget and decided on Estancia de Manzanares based solely on price and the availability of a vehicle at the rental. I assumed that it would be just a place to hang my hat during the vacation, but we got so much more.

First, the room we stayed in was great. We were in the azul room. It is a small, but not too small, room with a full kitchen, satellite television and enormous balcony. The owner offers free snorkeling gear (a value because most equipment rental places charge $10 / day for snorkeling gear), beach towels and mats and pretty much anything else we asked for. We wanted a beach umbrella and asked him where we could rent one and he went out and bought one for us to use.

The property is very beautiful. It is set on a couple of acres with mango trees and is only minutes away from the Wildlife refuge where our favorite beaches were. Every morning we saw horses walk through our back yard and linger because the owner cares enough to put out water for the island's many "wild" horses. The property is right in between the two cities (Esperanza and Isabel II) and we were a little worried about not being on the beach, but this was no problem at all. We enjoyed being away from the high traffic areas in Esperanza and loved being so close to the Wildlife refuge.

We had the option of breakfast provided by the owner every morning or the use of his vehicle. We chose the vehicle and were very pleased. The cost to rent a vehicle on the island is around $85 a day and renting from Paul worked out to around $25 a day. There are not many places on the island that offer this service and certainly not at this price. Let me stress that you NEED a vehicle to get around the island and this took a lot of hassle and expense out of our trip.

As a side note. Paul's vehicle broke down while we were driving it and I was concerned that I may be on the hook for repairs or might have had to rent my own vehicle for the remainder of our trip. My concerns were put to rest as soon as we talked to Paul. He not only assured us that he would get his vehicle fixed but he would cover the expense of our rental vehicle (which turned out to be around $300.) At the end of our stay Paul paid me in cash for the rental Jeep that we used. I was floored by this because it was over half of what we paid him for our entire stay. He has since texted me to tell me that his vehicle is back up and running and thanked us for being understanding during our trip. In my opinion the whole ordeal was so hassle-free because of Paul, that there was nothing to be understanding about.

My last point would be the owner Paul. He was great to rent from. He saw to every need we had and I could tell that he genuinely wanted us to have a nice time. Wether it was buying us a beach umbrella, seeing to our transportation needs or just the friendly conversation, Paul was always there when we needed him and I would recommend Estancia de Manzanares solely on him. My girlfriend told him that she felt like she was staying with a friend rather than renting a room and that was true for me as well.

I recommend this place as fully as I can. If I were to return to Vieques there is nowhere else I would consider staying! Thanks again Paul, for everything. We already miss Vieques and Estancia de Manzanares.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick O
Patrick,
Again, I would like to apologize for the vehicle trouble you encountered while staying at EdM and again, thank you for understanding and I happy that we were able to work everything out.

Reading your review brought back some good memories of you stay and I truly enjoyed getting to know the two of you and becoming friends.

The best any service related business can ask for is that our previous guest would recommend us and I thank you for the recommendation and I hope the two of you will find your way back to VQS and EdM.

I'm looking forward to some of the 1600 photos you guys took and I'm looking forward to the three of us keeping in touch.

As always-Safe Travels,
Gary, In
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent 4 days traveling on Vieques, staying at 3 different accomodations: the first night in Isabel II; the second in noisy, bustling Esperanza; and the last two nights in the quiet, tranquil mid-island setting of Estancia de Manzanares.

Without a reservation, we called owner Paul Manzanares at the last minute and he agreed to let us see the space before committing. We found it to be basic, bright, clean, and more than adequate for our needs. (I hadn't expected a fully equipped kitchen!)

The apartment in which we stayed was brightly painted in a lovely Caribbean blue. It had a king sized bed that was very comfortable. The decor and linens were appropriate for the setting. A large balcony looks out on green fields and several times during our stay we encountered "semi"-wild horses grazing on Paul's substantial acreage. A lovely sight!
Mango trees are everywhere. And my traveling companion who loves mangoes made sure that the horses didn't get all the undamaged ones that fell to the the ground. On our last day, our ever amiable host even knocked a few off the tree for us as a parting gift.

Meeting Paul was like meeting an old friend. He is warm, funny, engaging and totally down-to-earth. We connected immediately over his Kansas roots because we've lived in neighboring Colorado. (Loved the Kansas Jayhawks banner on the front of his home) Paul offered great recommendations on what NOT to miss on Vieques and as an added bonus provided us with a fully programmed Garmin GPS to make sure we could find our way without getting lost.

We had a great stay at Estanza de Manzanares. Though basic and unpretentious, it was by far the best place we stayed on Vieques. The difference is the hands-on-caring and attention of its owner. Value and service will win out over flash, dash, and pretention any day! We will without hesitation recommend it to our friends and family for their future visits.

Reynelda and Myrtle Rose
Jan.30-31, 2013

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Reynelda W
Paul M, Owner at Estancia de Manzanares Guest Rooms, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Reynelda & Myrtle Rose,

Your review and kind words bring on a big smile, I truly enjoyed our conversations and mango picking.

I'm happy to read that you found my lil place in paradise clean, comfortable & affordable for my goal is to provide a place for the budgeted and non-budgeted traveler alike with the basic items needed and few little amenities to try and set us apart from the rest.

And yes, I too, feel like old friends were visiting and thank you for the "Jayhawk" shout out.

My goal has been to meet, if not exceed, my guest expectations and the best words I can hear is that they will recommend Estancia de Manzanares to friends & family. I hope the two of you make it back to VQS soon for more mango picking, conversation, laughter & a cold beer or two.

As Always--SAFE TRAVELS

Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Owner:
The property is owned and professionally managed by Paul. Paul, who is half Puerto Rican and half awesome, has a good understand of the island as he has been coming here since the mid 90's. He is originally from Kansas and a Jayhawk's fan. Paul is seriously a friendly host who wants to make your visit and comfortable and memorable as possible.

Location:
The property is located on one of the main thoroughfares that goes from one of the island to another. Within a 5 minute drive are grocery stores, the ferry terminal, downtown, beaches, and lookout points.

Property:
The property is improved with a two-level single family home. There are two guest suites on the top floor while the main floor contains a gated garage and the owners suite. Each suite contains a three piece washroom, clean linens/towels, refrigerator, sink, microwave, bed(s) - a portable bed is available upon request, stove, tv with DVD player, and alarm clock.

Mango Heaven:
The property is narrow so it's hard to tell that it is over 2 acres is size, especially as the house sits at the front, but immediate in the back yard is a forest of mango trees. These trees produce the best mango's we've ever tasted in our life. Hands down. There must be at least three different type of mango's back there. Picking and eating fresh mangos every day is was heaven.

Car:
Included (or not, depends what package you choose) in our package was a courtesy vehicle. The vehicle was a Mitsubishi SUV. This was excellent to have as many of the beaches were not within walking distance. According to Paul, the island is approximately 5 miles wide and 21 miles long, so even though it can been seen in a short amount of time it is nice to have a car to get around.

Recommendation:
I highly recommend this place based on the following:
Owner-Paul, super friendly nice guy. He will pick you up/drop you off at the ferry terminal. He will do everything to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
Property-conveniently located in mango oasis! Seriously, well maintained, clean, no complaints.
Amenities-Car, mangos, snorkelling gear, beach chairs, beach towels, machete to cut coconuts, courtesy pick up/drop off

Room Tip: I believe the suites are identical or similar. Don't leave food out or the ants will come and ge...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank happywld
Paul M, Owner at Estancia de Manzanares Guest Rooms, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
WOW! Your words are too kind. I not sure about me being 1/2 awesome but I am sure that meeting and getting to know the three of you, even just a little bit, was awesome.

I'm happy you had a great time on VQS and enjoyed your stay at EdM. It's true, these Caribbean ants can detect left out food from miles away.

I'll expect to see you back when the mango trees are dropping again.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our little place in paradise and thank you for all the kind words. I truly hope you will make back to VQS.

Paul A. Manzanares
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Like everyone else, we had a great stay here at EdM. Paul really is great host. Rooms were nice (they come with kitchens, which was useful) and the free use of the car and GPS were essential to getting around. We really had a great time here.

Room Tip: The green room has a fridge.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Paul M, Owner at Estancia de Manzanares Guest Rooms, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our little property and thank you for the kind words.

Happy to hear that you found the room/vehicle package a good deal for you and your friends. I hope you all come back when you can stay a little longer. It was a pleasure meeting you and your friends and getting to know just a little bit.

As always, SAFE TRAVELS!