“Dangerous lack of service”
Review of Casa La Lanchita

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Casa La Lanchita
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel left two customers completely alone when the staff went home one night.
Since the caretaker never bothered to answer her cell phone (I was later told service is difficult) she never even knew I was there for an second night. The other customer was a couple with a young child and I dreaded the thought of what we would have done had either us had some kind of accident (they have a pool right off the ocean) or other emergency late that night.
Its a hotel with many steps so not easily accessible for older folks, especially if you have to spend time tracking down an employee. If you have no car you had better have brought some food with you as there isn't even coffee in the room or a vending machine. Most taxi's I called that evening were busy so I continued to call the numbers written on the office door until I got a response from the New York owner, "I'm at a football game, what am I suppose to do?" I was dumbfounded.
An employee finally returned to take me down the road to a restaurant for take out.
Upset that I called her boss she made it sound like there was nothing open on the island but having spoken with taxi drivers the day before, I knew for a fact there were a number of places that stay open late.
The place is quaint and if they gave it a simple makeover with new beds, linens and
a coffee maker, it could be a very nice place but with the current service none of that
would matter.

Room Tip: Great views but I could not recommend it
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank muneca200

Reviewed October 30, 2012

This hotel located close to the ferry port wasn't my first choice but I'm glad I stayed there. All the rooms have great views of the ocean, and the best part was the awesome snorkeling just to the right of the property. I could not believe how amazing the reef was. It was so alive and colorful with the coral and the abundance of fish. I spent 1 day going to the reef 3 times, that's how wonderful the experience was. The property does not have a sandy beach, so not a good choice if you have small kids who like to play in the ocean. To get in the water you have to navigate a rocky beach. Make sure you wear booties.

The rooms themselves all come with a stocked kitchen. So if you choose to, you can cook your own meals. You also have access to any necessary beach items for free. You can also rent an SUV during your stay for about $40 a day. Its an older truck but adequate enough and cheaper than renting with Maritza's car rental.

The rooms are dated, but there is air conditioning and television with HBO. If you are the picky type and require absolute cleanliness, this place may not be for you.

Vieques, and primarily the north coast does not have a lot of restaurant options. Be prepared to drive to Esperanza for any decent meals. If you want to save money you can purchase food items in the grocery store located close to the port.

During my two day stay, the ocean was the calmest on the north coast. Not sure if it was the norm, but the south coast was super wavy.

Even though the island is small, it takes time to get from one destination to another because its not a straight shot and the roads are very narrow. Driving is very scary at night, no lights and narrow, pitted roads can make for an interesting experience.

Overall a great place to stay as long as your not looking for luxury.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Keesapullo
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Very very nice hotel with a great view. It is a sea front property that offered a lot. Our room had air conditioner, TV with cable TV (including HBO channels) and the hotel offered beach seats, small bbq for the beach and beach towels, so you basically have to bring only your clothes. It was very clean and well maintained. The room included a kitchen with a stove, and refrigerator. We had breakfast at our balcony watching the sunrise and the sea every morning and it was very romantic. The pool is also infinity like with a stunning view of the sea.They offer cars for rental on a smaller rate than those on town, so it was very convenient. Would definitely come back!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laristain
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The rooms are good sized and private. There stoves, refrigerators, coffee pots etc. After a sun filled day, snorkeling etc, relax at the pool, before heading out for dinner. Sunsets are awesome, in late winter, early spring, migratory whales are visible from the gallery (Gallery = patio/porch).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Just came back from our August 2012 vacation in Vieques. When we arrived in Vieques we met the owners granddaughter who was overseeing the place in their absence. She and everyone at Casa LaLanchita were very friendly and helpful. We loved our suite, but had one hiccup, the motor in living room's A/C unit did not work. Unfortunately, their staff informed us that replacement motor would not arrive until after our stay. They offered us a change of suite, but we declined. We took advantage of the location of the suite we were in which provided for soothing ocean breezes. We rented a jeep from LaLanchita which was a wise moved on our part, and after hitting the island's beautiful beaches during the day, we relaxed at the pool at night. Casa La Lanchita staff were great in suggesting placing to go in the island. We will definitely go back to La Lanchita.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank David G
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My grandson wanted to go to Puerto Rico as a graduation gift from me, his grandmother. My son lives in Vieques so I decided we could make this a two-fold vacation to enjoy.
We arrived in Vieques after seeing the sights in Old San Juan and immediately knew this was a lost paradise. We reserved a room at LaLanchita and were very surprised by all amentities that were provided for our use at no charge. The room was airy, bright, spacious and equipped with pots, pans, dishes, glassware, etc. It was clean and organized.
Beds were very comfortable along with the easy sleeping pillows. The pool was right outside our room #8. The owner (McHouls) were on a vacation of their own and we were greeted by Carrie and David, who were overseeing all aspects of the guesthouse. Carrie provided information about the town, events that were happening when we visited (festival for St Carmen)and we were told we could rent a car for our explorations. We enjoyed the fabulous beaches that were almost deserted and a trip into Esperanza for dinner and a drink, Carrie made reservations for the Bio-Bay adventure which was pretty awesome. We stayed 2 days but clearly reflecting on our visit that was way too short. We both will be returning soon.

Room Tip: Every room has an ocean view....
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Great place is an understatement. The owners are excellent people! The hotel is right on the ocean and has it's own reef for great snorkeling. The guestrooms are spacious and have all the comforts of home!!! Bed was very comfortable. Owners were very accommodating. They made our honeymoon very special even though we only had one night on
Vieques. Also rented a jeep from them. They gave us an info packet and rum punch when we arrived. We had a wonderful time. We will be back someday!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple