See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 20, 2016 via mobile

I really liked it but as most things in Vieques it is not your "Hilton" style hotel.
The rooms don't have TV or WIFI but it is really THE great escape
We relaxed and enjoyed the picturesque atmosphere. The owner (manager) is super friendly. The bedroom was very clean and they do a great job making you feel at home.
In Vieques you need to rent a car or scooter otherwise you can't see too much and the location of this place requires a form of locomotion.
I do recommend specially for couples.

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2016 via mobile

Dona, the hostess runs a tight ship. The place is well appointed and maintained. It is cleaner and nicer than you might expect in this part of the world. Dona and her staff are delightful, friendly and very helpful.
Great Escape is designed for relaxation.
A poolside Casita provides a common area for breakfast, or enjoying an evening libation.
It is short drive from Esperanza, the tourist center of Vieques. Trade winds provide a near constant breeze, and the garden setting is delightful.
We will surely stay at Great Escape again whenever Vieques is on our itinerary.

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2016

The staff was very amenable and the facilities were very clean. The room surpassed my expectations! Would be convenient to have a car, but if you don't, Donna can drive you most places for a small fee.

Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2016 via mobile

This is an eco-friendly bed and breakfast. Part of being eco-friendly is conserving energy which explains the reasoning behind their request to shut off the a/c as you leave your room. I have noticed complaints about this, and others blaming Dana for their own mistakes when booking which I think is unfair.

That being said, I found Great Escape to be the perfect place to totally immerse yourself in the environment of the island, set back in the hills away from the bustle of town, the only noise heard being the sounds of nature. There is lush vegetation surrounding the property, beautifully manicured by Gary, the groundskeeper. (Gary actually recommended one of the best meals I had on the island. It was a small restaurant off the beaten path called Tito Bloque which had a very authentic feel and the food was superb. Thanks, Gary!)

There was no wifi or tv in the room, which were not missed. There was good enough cellphone reception from the room to research destinations and the gps from my cellphone worked fine to navigate trips.

There is a fridge near the pool kept stocked with a trust system in place that you tally off and pay when you leave, which was very convenient. The pool looked nice and clean but I didn't get a chance to use it.

The room was very clean, decorated with intricate tile work and kitschy items. The picture of the Empire State Building in our room was found to be extremely ironic for New Yorkers arriving at a place called Great Escape; this offered a good laugh.

The one complaint my SO had was that she didn't have a surface to put down her stuff in the bathroom...not really a big deal.

Would definitely recommend Great Escape and plan to visit again!

Date of stay: March 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2016

This woman made a mistake and did not properly take our reservation. She did not take ownership for her mistake and charged us even though were not able to go, due to her mistake. I feel robbed of my vacation and my bank account. I would avoid this place at all costs, as this is not an honest person.

Date of stay: December 2015