“Just what we were looking for and a great experience”
Review of Esperanza Inn

Esperanza Inn
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We were looking for value, location and connection and that's what we got at the Esperanza Inn. Owners Jay and Lisa and staff were informative, helpful, professional and generous hosts. Key benefits: low cost room, excellent breakfast, shared kitchen/fridge, relaxing back patio, garden and small pool, surprisingly enjoyable roof deck to get away from bugs and watch sunset, a whole section of their garage filled with beach, sports, water and picnic equipment (We used flippers, a cooler, beach paddles and water shoes for our daughter--ask Jay and Lisa what equipment they have before you bring it) safety (locked gates), great local connections (restaurants, tours, taxis, stores, walks, hikes, guidance on how to navigate jeep trails and the town's only fishing guide on site), easy walk to Malecon (two minutes), but just far enough to be away from the noise at night. Our family, two kids in teens, stayed in Room 5. Nothing fancy - a clean place to sleep and wash, with a good A/C to take the edge off the heat/humidity to sleep and to drown out the coquis. We're planning on taking two families back with us next Xmas and stay upstairs.

Room Tip: Call Lisa and tell her who you're bringing and what you'd like to do. She'll recommend a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Esperanza Inn

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I highly recommend Esperanza Inn to folks visiting Vieques. First of all, I strongly suggest staying in Esperanza instead of Isabel II as the malecon is great and you are closer to most beaches. The inn is just a few steps off the malecon.

We stayed in the queen room and it was very clean and comfortable. No frills, but perfectly fine. They gave us many towels, and we loved that because we had towels for beach and showers. We did their breakfast each morning. It was minimal, but enough for us with the pastries, egg, fruit, and cereal. Nice to have a meal we didn't need to go out for. The main area of the inn had a nice selection of DVDs and magazines. This was a really nice touch, as we used both. And bonus points for the mini fridge with soda and beer. Pay on your honor. When I was thirsty late at night, this was a great find!

Jay and Lisa were wonderful. They helped with advice and securing taxis, tours, etc...

The cats were great. Very friendly and lovely to come home to each night. So, be warned if you are allergic, but otherwise, any animal lover won't mind.

If I ever make it back to the island again, I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. It was a great place.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I stayed for 7 nights at Esperanza Inn. Lisa, Jay and Bryan were all very friendly and helpful to making my stay very enjoyable, Rooms very clean and guests can share a communal kitchen and living room area. Continental breakfast was very good with wide choice of teas and lots of boiled eggs, cakes and donuts from local bakery, juice and cereal. Met a wonderful family from Puerto Rico while staying at Esperanza Inn and they were so kind enough to invite me to dinner at their upstairs unit which was lovely, Inn is only a short walk to beautiful Sun Bay beach which is one of the great beaches on VIeques, Hope to return next year,

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Patrick R
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed here for three nights in the full+twin room. It was very clean, had its own bathroom, great AC and a ceiling fan, and opened up right onto the common areas (kitchen, large living room with TV and shelves of books and DVDs). It's located literally around the corner from the malecon, the main beachfront stretch of the town of Esperanza, where all the restaurants and (limited) nightlife is located. We rented a jeep from the owners of the inn for $45/day, which we drove to all the amazing beaches in the Vieques wildlife reserve. The place is clean, provides a sparse breakfast in the morning, and has about 40 foster cats running around, so if you don't like cats definitely don't come here. Generally very cozy, great location, clean, a good experience.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We had a great stay at the Esperanza Inn. Lisa and J are very friendly and knowledgeable of the area and are happy to share tips and recommendations. It is also so nice of them to offer the little extras, such as breakfast, use of the kitchen, laundry facilities, beach equipment and internet connection. The location is also great-right around the corner from the malecon so you can quickly walk to the bars/restaurants, but far enough removed that you don't get the noise. There were quite a few cats there when we stayed, but that added to the charm of the property. We really wanted to bring one home! It is so nice of Lisa and J to feed and care for so many animals. We enjoyed the homey feel of the inn. Every morning, we had breakfast with some of the other guests and we shared tips and experiences from Vieques, which just added to our overall experience. We are already trying to figure out a way to get back to Vieques in the future, and when we do, we plan on returning to the Esperanza Inn!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

When I first researched this property, it seemed fantastic. I liked the open, light, airy quality of the spaces, and every photo seemed to show that. So I called the hotel and booked via voice. I was not given a choice of rooms, but that didn't seem strange at the time. I booked and gave my credit card info. Done and happy.

I arrived at the Inn and checked in. The front desk guy led me through the kitchen/ lounge and showed me the pool. All very chill and fine, though it seemed more hostel than hotel with people's laundry drying over chairs in the common areas, food out on the counters and the general disarray. Again, hey, fine, whatever. I've traveled around the world and I don't hold certain expectations...

Until he led me around to Room #5. To get to it, you go through the driveway, then into a storage shed/ courtyard area covered by a dark overhang, and then to a cave of a room that has windows opening directly onto said driveway and shed. There is a lock on the door, but there's a sense of isolation that's disturbing, and the windows all have half functioning levalor blinds. Where the air conditioner is, you can't even close them all the way, so the window is completely open to anyone who wants to look in. Since there were many discarded shoes and beach supplies there, I knew it wasn't going to be private.

The lightbulbs in the room are either fluorescent bulbs or that very blue-white energy saver bulb on lamps with the lampshades not affixed to the fixture. To top it all off, the driveway is directly next to the room, so when an engine is started, it roars in the echo-y room, and exhaust fumes pour into the room.The overall effect was one of a Soviet era cinderblock fallout shelter with zero privacy.

I went to the front desk to try to get switched out and was told that everywhere was full for my mandatory 3 day booking. I spent the next several hours looking for another place on the island (found one), and resolving to eat the cost of the double booking. When I came back, the owner, Lisa, very coolly told me that I had booked online (I had not) and thus had my pick of rooms, so it was my error. She said that other people like the cave-like nature of the room and book often. She also told me that if I didn't like her establishment, she would rather I leave, which I did. She was gracious enough to refund me 2 or my 3 night's stay, which is why I'm not rating it 1 star. But that's it.

Side note: it is very explicitly noted that they have cats on the property, and that they work with the local humane society. I was fine with this. However, there is a difference between 3 - 5 cats and the numbers that they have with free reign all over the property. There are spots around the outside of the buildings with a distinct odor of cat urine from marking, and unfortunately one of those spots is very close to Room #5.

I wish the owner and her staff all the luck in the world with their property. Perhaps the upstairs rooms are nicer, as it seemed on Tripadvisor and the photos from their own website. But this room was a horror to me, even if it had been at hostel prices, and it was not. Truth in advertising.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
esperanzainn, Owner at Esperanza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Wowee. Yowza. There are so many untruths in this review I'm not even sure where to begin. I do believe, firmly, that this review should be removed by Tripadviser. I support truth in reviews but this is a smear campaign by someone who simply wouldn't let us help her.
As I'm writing this, I'm sitting with two women who are staying in room #5. I asked them to describe the room. The response: Lovely and attractive. Is everything perfect for everyone? Of course not.
Now let me describe a bit about the check in with this guest. She booked the room online through our website despite the fact that she says she didn't. Our reservation software tracks this info. Here is the description posted on the room, taken directly from the booking area: This queen room is tucked away in a quiet corner of our property. While it has lots of windows, it's location doesn't allow for alot of bright sunlight making it a great choice for those who prefer to "sleep in" most mornings. It has an additonal futon, private bath, ceiling fans and AC. All rooms have access to our shared kitchen and living room. The photos of the room show open windows without any natural light. It looks dark.
Why choose a room that is visibly dark?
After being walked through the property- we were serving breakfast at the time so there was food available in the kitchen and guests eating - the guest was shown to her room and she had what can only be described as a full on melt down. Crying and shaking. Said she wouldn't be able to breath in the room. My front desk person called me, filled me in and asked me how to proceed. I said to offer her a free upgrade to a second floor apartment. She declined saying it was too much of a bother and she would stay put.
Why stay put when a solution was offered?
I arrived on property later that aftenoon and was met soon after by the guest. She said she had a chance to "chill out and look around" and would like to leave. I agreed 100%, telling her it's her vacation and she should enjoy it. I did ask her, though, why she booked a room that looks dark and is described as such? She wouldn't take responsibility so I dropped it. She left on good terms, and we both were happy with the outcome. I also want to note that all money was refunded.
I can't say that I am totally surprised by this review, but readers please take it with a grain of salt. Her description of a "Soviet Era Cinderblock Fallout Shelter" is a bit, ehhh, dramatic.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

I don't want to just repeat all the positive things in the reviews, although they are all true. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment, which was comfortable and spacious. The location is excellent and it really is a plus that they have beach equipment that guests can borrow, and the "continental breakfast" was more than adequate. Lisa and J are two of the reasons that this is such a good place to stay. They are accommodating, and full of information and good advice. If you want to be in Esperanza, and don't want a private house, there is no reason to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Turning on the AC at night masked all the street noise and music....but there was no way to silence...