“Great place!”
Review of Esperanza Inn

Esperanza Inn
Reviewed June 2, 2008

We stayed at Ted's for 3 nights. It's a great place. We had the 2 bedroom with access to the roof with a view of the water. It's very clean, everything in the kitchen, good beds, plenty of towels etc. Ted is a joy. Very easy-going but helpful. We rented his jeep for a day. He wouldn't commit to renting it on the phone, but I think he wanted to check us out first. He only charged us 30 dollars, probably since we only took it out for half a day. The big bonus, in my thinking was the neighbor's mango tree ...they were getting ripe and fell onto his driveway. I was welcomed to pick them up, as I did. Small, but good mangoes. Ted's is half a short block from the Malecon, and in the other direction is a grocery and a bakery. The day we left, he also volunteered to drive us to Isabel as he was going anyway..another little surprise bonus. The neighborhood was noisy in the late afternoon, but quieted down soon after sundown and evidently his immediate neighbors didn't have roosters as they never woke us up. There is AC in both bedrooms, but I never used mine as I had a good breeze. Also we had no mosquito problems. I saw one and I'm a magnet for them.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank nanben

Reviewed March 29, 2008

My wife, son and I stayed for four days and wish it could have been longer. The one bedroom apartment (two double beds) with a kitchen/dining room and small porch was three or four times the size of a hotel room, spotlessly clean and conveniently located. The only reason not to stay here is if you don't want to stay in Esperanza. The only reason not to stay in Esperanza is if you'd prefer a more Puerto Rican experience, since most of the restaurants and shops seem to be owned by North Americans--specifically, those from the mainland U.S., which, to me, was sort of disappointing. If you don't want to hear or speak Spanish, though, Esperanza is nice enough, and Ted's is certainly the best value there. I suspect that Isabella Segunda might offer more in the way of Puerto Rican culture.

In addition to the lodging, Ted has beach chairs and toys that are yours to borrow and gives you more towels than you can use. On another note, we rented a car from Marco's Car Rental. It's probably the most beat up car I've ever driven (and that includes a $75 Plymouth that I owned when I was in high school) but I would still recommend Marco's because (1) the car cost $35 a day which is cheap by island standards (2) Marco gave us a ride to the ferry when we returned the car (3) the roads to the beaches are really bad, and I figured that nothing could be done to this car while I was driving that hadn't been done to it before. Ted sometimes has a car available for rent, so check with him first. I made the reservation by telephone. I don't think he offers web reservations. You don't have to start off your call with a "habla ingles?" Ted lived in New York and Miami for a good part of his life and speaks English like a New Yorker.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank peregrino
Reviewed February 20, 2008

It doesn’t get any easier than these apartments situated a few doors up Calle Hucar from Trade Winds. It took us less than a minute to walk to the Maleçon. We parked our jeep inside Ted’s gated driveway and yard making safe, secure parking a non-issue. We had the roomy 2nd (top) floor, two-bedroom apartment ($125/night). Despite the location, the apartments are off the radar as far as the internet goes. Though it does come up in searches, there’s no dedicated webpage. We learned about it by word of mouth. And there are only three apartments available. Ted is a friendly, easygoing guy originally from Brooklyn, but makes Vieques his home; he lives on the ground floor. Ted makes allowances for his guests if he can. We were already staying just down the street and didn’t want to have to lug our bags around the island until check-in time, so we called him the day before and he made arrangements for us to drop our bags early in the morning. Compared to where we were staying the first half of our trip, for the same amount of money down the street at Amapola Inn, we had over double the space, separate rooms, a full working kitchen, a huge refrigerator, ample living/sitting room and a deck above us where we could see Cayo Afuera and a few of the yachts anchored off shore. We also had sunrise to the east over Esperanza and the sunset over the western hills. All the shops, bars and restaurants were a stroll away down the Maleçon. Additionally, up Calle Hucar one block and a few yards west was La Dulce Panadería, which is a bakery by day and a pizzeria by night. Two bodegas (colmados) are also nearby. Ted’s whole house is not fancy, but it is immaculate, and each accommodation is separate. There were chairs, towels and other related items for the beaches if we needed (and we did). Most satisfactorily, he was always available the few times we needed to ask a question. And it felt great to get back each day to his comfortable accommodations.
The one minor negative we encountered was not really under his control: the mosquitoes. There seemed to be a drainage ditch nearby providing the perfect conditions for breeding mosquitoes. There were always one or two working their way through the screens even after spraying. Another thing that did not bother us but might be a problem for others were the neighborhood houses surrounding Ted’s. Noise varied. Sometimes it was absolutely still and quiet, other times blaring music, baying dogs and the ever-awake roosters combined to make a sort of chorus that reminded us we were living side by side with the Viequenses. But to be fair, that’s all of Esperanza, so it wasn’t something peculiar to Calle Hucar. I suppose if one doesn’t like that sort of environment there were the far more expensive inns up in the quieter hills, but we decided where we were was just fine.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nypuck
Reviewed September 19, 2007

Just spent two days on Vieques and stayed at Ted’s Guest House in Esperanza. I echo the posting below, one of the cleanest places I’ve ever stayed at. We did not know he rented cars, but he was kind enough to make space under cover for our jeep, allowing us to leave it top-less throughout our stay. Ted’s a great guy, and he makes you welcome from the get-go.

We rented the top suite, a two bedroom with a futon in the living room. A/C worked wonderfully, but the front door could use a screen. As an aside, if you plan to spend time in PR, get some OFF. There is a gnat with a nasty bite (makes you yearn for a mosquito) called a “maje”. One night without off and you look like you had the measles.

The price was $125 plus the VAT of 7% (It’s called the IVU by the locals, their first experience with a sales tax, still a sore point to most). He does not take CC, but cash and/or a personal check are accepted. He also loans you coolers, mats, beach chairs, etc. There is a rooftop deck, and with Esperanza’s low light pollution, the Milky Way is clearly seen. Careful on the way down!

The house is on a side street, within three houses of the main strip, where there are at least six restaurants. This allows for walking access to them (and no need for a designated driver). We tried Quenepo and Bananas. Quenepo is fine dining, while Banana’s is a Sandwich joint, both were good. Some close from now until November, but I think you can get food somehow. Up the 997 road towards Isabel II, you’ll find “El Resuelve”. Have an empanada de Jueyes (land crab) and a medalla (local beer), you’ll start scheming how to move here! For breakfast, go to La Viequense in Isabel II.

As for Vieques, you need to rent a car to see the beaches in the “forbidden zone”. I am from PR, in my 40’s, and I had not seen beaches in this condition since I took a trip to the north coast of the Dominican in the late 60’s. Hermit crabs are crossing the road, Cocolias (young land crabs) can be seen in the daylight, loose horses, FANTASTIC.

Red Beach (now called Caracas, no explanation, but Chaves is a hero to some) is easily accessible, and it had six people on Friday. Playa Garcia and Bahia de la Chiva required crossing a deep puddle, and they were EMPTY. Crime should always be on our minds, but in Vieques, you can let your guard down a bit.

A point about Spanish. PR is a lot like Germany, most people speak a lot more English than they let on. However, if you approach them with a couple of local words, they quickly open up and treat you like a lost cousin. Get into the habit of starting the conversation with “Hola”(hello), “Buenos dias” (good morning, but works all day long), “Por favor” (please), “gracias” (thank you).

As for getting there, we took the VAL (Vieques Air Link) flight from Fajardo. It’s $42 R/T, never goes above 1,000 feet (actually important if you’ve been snorkeling), and took 10 minutes. It’s $92 from San Juan’s Fernando Rivas Dominici (fellow graduate of my Alma Mater in Mayagüez, he was driving the one F-111 lost in the 1986 attack on Lybia), a bit more from San Juan Int’l airport.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank Figarella
Reviewed June 14, 2007

a friend and i went to isla vieques in april and stayed at ted's, which was a great deal. ted is a wonderful, friendly chatty man and was very helpful. he rents out trucks to his guests, but we decided to rent from a man named jurgen, who our friends suggested. (highly recommended!) even though we didnt rent from ted he was great and let us park our truck on his property/curb.

our apartment was BIG-a huge bedroom, nice bathroom and big kitchen/dining room. we had a nice balcony overlooking the street. only problem was there were no screens in the baclony doorway, and that was a prob at night when the mosquitos come out! otherwise was great and relaxing!

one thing: it was advertised as being just a block from the beach. yes, it is a block from the water, but its not a proper beach that you can go swimming in--its more of a bay with docked sailboats, nice to stroll along and watch the sunset. though, ill bet you can stroll along it for about an hour or so and finally reach a good sunning/swimming becah, we just didnt try.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank gasNy
Reviewed April 29, 2007

Ted's Apartments is just one block off the main road of Esperance...good because bar/restaurants can be noisy. Ted is there if you need him, but nothing but privacy if you don't. Cleanest place I've ever stayed in. Privacy fencing and covered parking for rental cars. He provides beach chairs, coolers, etc. Rooms were large, furniture in good shape, air conditioners for bedrooms. I would definately stay here again and will recommend it to all my friends. I just hope I have another opportunity to visit this beautiful island with the best beaches I've ever seen anywhere in the Caribbean.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank caribseabreeze
Reviewed February 24, 2006

ted is cool! the room we stayed in was big and close to the hangout areas. if youre going here rent a car from him, it would get pretty boring if you dont have a car, but will be the best trip ever if you do.

Stayed: March 2004