All reviewsfriendly catshome away from homemango treeroosters crowpuerto ricoshared kitchenbeach chairsanimal loversfull kitchenhelpful adviceboogie boardsresident dogliving room arearestaurants barsqueen bedsun bayhard boiled eggs
Reviewed January 29, 2012

After 4 relaxing nights at the Esperanza inn I'm recharged and ready to go back to work located on a cozy side street ( away from the night time partying and noise) but close enough that you are just steps off the malecon where all the restaurants and action is but still get a good night sleep. Owners Lisa and J are so welcoming and helpful arranging tours and transportation everything you need to see the island. Common areas including Internet (and computer), kitchen, living room with tv
/videos are all well maintained. Dip pool in back and availability of beach chairs, umbrellas, fins, etc. for your beach excursions are huge plus. Nice shady patio for sitting and relaxing. The whole place is very home-y the kind of place you could put your feet up. Would be good for kids. Great value in general. That being said if you are luxury or more of a hotel traveler this ( and actually most of vieques is not for you - go stay at the commercial W resort). Owners also involved in community taking in local animals and fostering pets for adoption. All of which are out doors and don't affect you stay if you don't like pets, but great for the community. They also recommend local businesses and employ locals for the tasks that need to be done around the inn. Had a great stay and can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank HaveBackpackWillGo11
Reviewed January 26, 2012

My husband and I were recently in Vieques for a friend's wedding and randomly chose the Esperanza Inn. We stayed in Room 1, which was surprisingly humongous! Not only was there one large (queen?) size bed, there was also another smaller (full?) bed, a kitchen, and a huge patio with a table, chairs, and a very comfortable hammock. My husband and I are huge pet lovers, so we loved that there are cats all over the property. We also enjoyed the continental breakfast and the hospitality of J. and Lisa, the owners. If we make it back to Vieques one day, we would undoubtedly stay there again and highly recommend the place to any others looking for a place to stay. The only negative is the noise the roosters make in the morning, but in all fairness, we could have closed the windows and minimized the noise if we weren't such fans of outdoor air.

Room Tip: Room 1 is very spacious!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank julianas99
Reviewed January 25, 2012

the Esperanza inn
a great location and wonderful inn keepers. a perfect location for some nite life, great places to eat and convenience for day shopping. weekend brings alot of venders on the malacon. we rent the apartment with the smaller balacony. very clean and well keep up.while we stay at the inn we rent a jeep from lisa when it is available. about the 9th day the brakes had a problem. from my experience on the island rentals can be complex. not so with lisa ,she gave us her own jeep. which everyone knows from the bright yellow color and super smiley sun on the hood.I got waved to alot while driving lisa jeep. i used her jeep for the remaining 5 days. i think anywhere else i would have gotten a refund and a( i'am sorry! )to me that ranks 10 in customer service. the fact is you need to reserve jeeps way in advance on the island. to get to the best beaches you need a jeep. lisa and jay are always available to make sure your stay is as pleasant as it can be. they will keep you updated on all the current events and all the best places to visit while you are enjoying your stay on the island. if you need help with anything just ask. lisa helped me have a homemade cake baked for a surprise party we had for a new friend we made on this visit. by the way it was one of the best cake i have had any where. if needed ask lisa about the women who bakes the cakes. i think all and all what makes lisa and jays inn special to us is that they care about people and go that one step extra which keeps us coming back again and again. If your stay is for just one day or 14 days lisa and jay will make sure you get the most out of your visit. oh ya the jeep was repaired quicker than i could have had it done in boston. well done!! thanks for the great vacation lisa and jay

Room Tip: lisa and jay have a good web site. it is the same when you get there.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ginow2001
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I've been visiting Vieques regularly since 1998 and think of the Esperanza Inn as my home away from home. A "legacy" guest who began staying at the property when it was Ted's Apartments, I was happy to see the improvements Capt. J and Lisa made when they purchased and renamed it the Esperanza Inn.

Here's why I keep coming back:

Lovely and friendly innkeepers, very responsive to questions, requests or problems. Lisa and J know the restaurants, the beaches, the ferry schedule (and any schedule disruptions) and are happy to share their knowledge.

Great Location: Two doors off the Malecon (the main commercial, ocean-front strip of restaurants, shops and bars), it's close enough to walk to the action (and Sun Bay beach)but far enough for a quiet night's sleep.

Great Value: Very clean rooms, comfy mattresses, private bathrooms, A/C, beach towels and accessories, pool, free laundry facilities, and continental breakfast add up to lots of amenities at room rates that can't be beat in other Esperanza properties.

Post Check-out Amenities: Checking out at 11, but your flight to San Juan doesn't leave until 5? You can still get in one last ocean swim by storing your luggage at the Inn, then using the guest bath (a real bathroom, not just an outdoor shower head) to shower and change for your flight home.

Interesting Guests: The Esperanza Inn attracts travelers from all over the world who appreciate the low-key Vieques vibe. Over the communal continental breakfast, I've met the most interesting people with interesting stories--both first-timers and repeat visitors.

I'm counting the days until my next visit to Vieques and the Esperanza Inn!

Room Tip: Many folks on Vieques--including the neighbors of the Esperanza Inn--keep chickens and roosters, so whatever room you choose, I suggest bringing earplugs if you are a light sleeper. Also, the non-apartment accommodations have newer, quieter A/C units with digital controls.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Friends of mine recommended Esperanza Inn and I was completely satisfied with my stay.

Owners Lisa and J were very attentive and the breakfasts very tasty -- especially the star fruit. I stayed in a single room on the first floor and it was comfortable with plenty of towels and soap. There are larger rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors w/fridge and stove top. Location is half a block from the Malecon where there are places to eat, shop, and beach. I recommend renting a car or small/mini suv b/c the jeeps tend to be bit wide for the local roads.

I am soooo ready to get back to Vieques, Espranza Inn and the great beaches there!

Room Tip: Leftover shampoos and hair conditioners are a great plus!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends