Hector's by the Sea
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
See available hotels
Hacienda Tamarindo(Isla de Vieques)
View Hotel
Malecon House(Isla de Vieques)
El Blok Hotel(Esperanza)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Bravo Beach Hotel(Isla de Vieques)
Hotel Kokomo(Culebra)
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewsblue horizonmangobeach chairshorses grazingcoffee makerbio baycaribbean seathe black sand beachlovely hostsloved staying heremini fridgeshort drivecome homesecret beachoff the beaten pathlaid backoverlooking the ocean
FilterAll languages
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed December 3, 2004

The view is gorgeous. We didn't get to meet Hector but Mary was friendly and very helpful. Very thoughtful of her to have beach towels for guests to use.

There are only 3 rooms, so it doesn't have the impersonal atmosphere of hotels. The pool and hot-tub is nice. We sat in the hot tub on a clear night watching the moon rise. Beautiful.

Would love to stay here again. Hector still owes us our welcome cocktails!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, TX
Reviewed November 17, 2004

My husband and I stayed at Hector's by the Sea following two nights at Hix Island House. It was our first time in Vieques, so we wanted to try a couple of different places to stay. Hector's by the Sea is outstanding! The view is beautiful, and you feel relaxed the moment you enter the property. As you may have read in other reviews Hector and Mary are the perfect hosts, so kind, but they also let you have your privacy.

The rooms are simple and immaculate. The hot tub-OUTSTANDING! It rained several days off and on during our stay and the hot tub felt amazing in the cool rain......AND to top it all off you can enjoy the fantastic view from there as well.

We thought it would be nice to have the option of air conditiong after staying at Hix Island House without it, but with the screened in windows open, and the breeze coming right off of the Carribean, it was perfect. We never even turned on the air. The beds are also nice and comfy which made us sleep like babies.

The property is such a nice mixture of green hills, with horses, (by the way, there is no smell whatsoever from the horses......there aren't that many) and beautiful ocean. My husband and I took walks down the beach taking in the amazing scenery and did a bit of seashell hunting.

The atmosphere at Hector's and Mary's is relaxing and comfortable. They tell you to make yourself at home, and they make it so easy to do just that. If you want a vacation with your loved one where you can get away from it all, Hector's by the Sea is the perfect destination!

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 10, 2004

My girlfriend Lola made the reservations so I had no idea what was in store. Lola only told me that Hector's looked "really cute" from the few photos she found online and that after speaking with Mary, Hector's wife, she was convinced that Hector's by the Sea would the perfect place to stay. She was so right and I have to say, I highly recommend a visit to Hector's. Along with the beaches of Vieques, Hector's was the highlight of our trip. After arriving on the island, it's about a fifteen or twenty minute drive over a small hillside. The road snakes around past houses and local markets and eventually leads over to the town of Esperanza and it's beuatiful little harbor. I suggest that when you give Mary a call to make the reservation, you allow her to rent you a jeep or a car. We didn't take her up on this and we ended up with a very expensive 4X4 that we did not need. About Hector and Mary: from the time we were greeted to our final goodbyes, Hector and Mary never stopped playing the hosts. Personal note: I initally thought Hector was a little intimidating but that quickly dissipated. He somehow reminds me of Marlon Brando: he has this Tuff Exterior but on the inside, he's a Big Soft Teddy Bear (C'mon Hector, you know it's true). Mary: she's equally as amazing, so helpful and so sweet. She and Hector make a great couple and the best hosts. They went out of there way to make us feel at home. Like when I foolishly left a bag in the car while snorkeling and it was stolen. When Lola and I returned to Hector's and told him and Mary what had happened, Hector phoned the police and had them over there taking a report within five minutes. It was amazing. He also took our minds off the theft by making us a few cocktails while we wrote out the items that were stolen. We then took a swim in the pool, and looked out over the warm water of the carribean. While there, sitting in Hector's pool, it felt like somehow, no matter what happened, Hector and Mary would take care of it. If you're thinking of going to Vieques, give them a call, you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2004
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Juan, PR
Reviewed October 19, 2004

I went to Hector's solely based on the reviews posted on this site. My girlfriend and i we're so excited when we got to the complex and saw the view of the ocean. Also, we found the space and the views from the complex exciting. The view from the pool and the jacuzzi is worth the price of admission. Hector and Mary will make you feel like you are home. I plan to go back sometime next year. Bye the way the Beaches in Vieques are amongst the most beutiful in the world. Rent a jeep to see them.

Hope you give Hector a try!!!!

Daniel

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 10, 2004

I've been trying to write this review for over a month, feeling like nothing I write could possibly do Hector's by the Sea justice. My boyfriend and I stayed there for a few nights end of August to early September 2004, right around the time that Hurricane Jeanne hit. Even with no electricity for a day, Hector and Mary (our awesome hosts) didn't miss a beat in making us feel safe, secure and altogether happy during our stay. And, with Hector's location in the southern part of Vieques, barely a drop affected us--storms lasted only a few minutes a day. We stayed in the 2nd floor casita, very nicely appointed, private and romantic, with a great Caribbean view. (Then again, there's not one bad view at Hector's.) There's A/C but we only used it one night because of the strong sea breeze, and better to hear the crashing waves. A tip: make sure to rent a 4x4 vehicle--you'll need it to get to Hector's and the best beaches. Great value and location (very close to Esperanza), hosts who treat you like family and a perfect Caribbean island for exploring and/or vegging out. When--not if--I go back, I'll be staying at Hector's.

• Stayed: August 2003