“Family of 4 and we all loved Hector's!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Hector's by the Sea
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Recently returned from Hector's By the Sea and I have to say I agree with all the previous glowing reviews. Hector and Mary are very friendly and accommodating - made us feel right at home. They were there at the knock of a door to answer any questions we had, but allowed us to explore their property and enjoy the pool and cabana at our own will. We had two teenage daughters with us and they loved the horses, the hammock and the pool - didn't even mention no wifi. My husband and I loved the peaceful surroundings and the expansive views of the ocean. Felt like we were in a dream with the pastures, hills and ocean breezes. We even loved the music drifting across the water from the cute town of Esperanza at night. I had a hard time deciding where to stay, and I'm very happy we chose Hector's. Just a short drive into town for dinner in the evenings and I definitely preferred staying on this side of the Island for access to the different beaches and the restaurants in Esperanza. We did drive across the island to snorkel at Mosquito Pier a couple times, but that was an easy 20 minute drive. Getting to Vieques wasn't as hard as we expected, I'd read so many negative reviews of Ferry. However, we took the Ferry for budget reasons, and didn't encounter any problems. We did have Luquillo Taxi service pre-purchase our ferry tickets - which I highly recommend. Hector's by the Sea is a clean, comfortable and safe place to stay in a beautiful and unique setting. We loved it!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Casita "duplex" and it was comfortable for our family and felt private en...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Drm4travel

Reviewed July 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hector's from 7/9 through 7/15 (yes, sadly, we just left yesterday). Believe all these reviews. It really is THAT nice. Mary gave me a great impression right from the start as she handled all my first-timer questions with great finesse. She gave us a terrific introduction to the whole place as soon as we got there. If they were around, Mary and/or Hector would come out and greet us when we returned for the day. They are wonderful hosts.

We stayed in the casita, Vista Mar, which is the left side of the double-casita. Lots of privacy, and good access to pet Mary and Hector's 3 horses when they are corralled, and to the beach. You don't even have to walk 10 minutes to Black Sand Beach. Mary and Hector even provide black sand on their beach!

I hardly heard a peep from next door, and we had neighbors the entire time we were there. The only thing I could hear was their shower running.

The room, kitchen area, and bathroom were spotless.I didn't see anything at all objectionable, and I'm one of those types whose watched too many exposes about how dirty hotel rooms are. Everything was neat and clean. Good toiletries too. The shampoo and conditioner provided were better than mine so I threw mine out and used theirs! Towels were nice, seemed pretty new. The mini-fridge held a lot. You get plates, bowls, bread plates, all the utensils if you want to eat in.
They provide a good sized cooler, beach chairs and beach towels. The room has a huge closet with shelves on both ends.

Besides the horses, there is a cat named Tucco with real personality, very friendly. The horses wander around the property during the day, mostly eating fallen mangos. I'd never seen a horse eat a mango before, but these 3 were experts.

The beach directly below the property is really interesting for combing and watching wildlife. Hector said on calm days, there is great snorkeling there. We didn't have the chance to try, unfortunately. We walked as far as we could and saw the Black Sand Beach. A wild horse was just walking down from one end to the other. It was a spectacular scene probably only seen on Vieques. You'll get used to seeing wild horses literally everywhere.

The location of Hector's is about a 5-minute drive from Esparanza, good restaurants and a few bars. Maybe a 20-min drive to Isabel II. One negative is the Blue Horizon two properties down plays very loud music, Fri, Sat and Sun nights. You'll definitely hear it.

Even that did not dampen my enthusiasm for Hector's. If you want a place to unwind and appreciate the natural side of Vieques, Hector's totally fits the bill.

Room Tip: Vista Mar is closest to the sea but I think you can't go wrong with any of the rooms here. It...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yay4films
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Just got back from our first stay in Vieques - a three night paradise experience at Hector's! Mary and Hector are so accommodating and nice, there is absolutely no way you could say anything bad about them or their facilities.

The private beach on the property was a nice way to end our evenings, and the sunset over the mountain was breathtaking! Location is perfect as it is close, but not to close to the fun on the Malecon of Espiranza.

If you're considering staying here for only a portion of your trip to Puerto Rico, make sure it is the largest portion! You won't be let down!

p.s. Hector has some great stories from his years on Vieques and PR, He'll make you a fantastic rum punch and entertain by the pool all afternoon.

Room Tip: Casita 1 and 2 are a part of the same building, Casita 1 definitely has a better view of the ocean...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2014

From the very beginning at booking our reservation Hector & Mary Matos have been amazing. This was our first time in Vieques and were a little apprehensive about what to expect on the island. Mary allowed me to email all of my questions or concerns to her. Every time she put my mind at ease about our trip, ( ferry vs plane renting a vehicle, what to bring etc.) Hector met us as we arrived carried our luggage welcomed us like family. We truly felt like family while we were there. The casita prices were very reasonable. We slept with the windows open the entire trip. We never ran the air. They are located right on the water so with the ocean breeze an pounding waves we found it to be an amazing way to fall asleep. We really hated to leave. The Casitas were meticulously clean and well stocked with essentials such as beach towels,cooler, beach chairs, hammock, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, dishes, glasses. Iron and board on request. Everything we needed. Take note there is no Wifi or tv. You will be very glad there isn't trust me. We WILL be coming back! ***note when sharing a casita with family or friends** bathroom walls do not go all the way to the ceiling .... Enough said!

Room Tip: The mango is the smallest of the casitas but the best view! However there is Not a lot of room for...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

I'm long overdue in sharing our experience while visiting Hector's By The Sea last spring. My husband and I wanted to get away from it all for a long birthday weekend and couldn't have chosen a more special, beautiful and perfect place to forget the hustle and bustle of work life to find paradise. The great reviews are 100% accurate - Hector & Mary are friendly, warm and delightful. They truly make you feel like their home is your home. We were greeted by Hector upon arrival and told the story of how the property came to be - all while enjoying a special "Hector" drink. We were in love with them AND the views from the minute they said hello! We rented a Jeep from Jorgen (another wonderful & immediate friend) and took full advantage of exploring the isolated beaches that dot the island, daily. We enjoyed breakfast and a few dinners at the hotel next door - delicious and so very friendly. The two properties abut - maybe a 2 minute walk. Easy! Hector and Mary were so incredibly lovely, we know we made life-long friends. The views are incredible (best on the island) and the casitas are just perfect for an island getaway. Thank you TripAdvisor! We never would have found paradise without your reviews of Hector's By the Sea. We look forward to returning soon!! One last comment - you MUST go on a night tour of bio bay. Ask the manager at the hotel next door to set up a private tour. You won't be disappointed!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed in The Mango casita in late March/early April. We couldn't have been happier. It's located at the back of the property and elevated. The elevation makes for great views of the entire property and of course the ocean. Comfortably appointed it's perfect for two people to just relax. It does have A/C, a small microwave and frdge. Also beach chairs and a cooler are provided. We were able to visit the other units and they are more spacious and would be better suited for multiple couples, groups, etc. There is a pool/hot tub available and they are kept clean and comfortable. To the right of the horse corral there's a path down to the beach, although it's not really a swimming beach it's great for walking and exploring. If you walk far enough you'll come upon a black sand beach, which is great for swimming and secluded enjoyment of the perfect weather and water. Also on the property is a dining/catering facility where a local chef cooks for the public on Sunday and Monday nights. It was arguably the best meal we had while on Vieques. Highly recommended bluff side dining. There is also a walking trail over to Blue Horizon, which is the neighboring resort. It's very nice as well. As you will become very familiar there are horses all over the immediate area as well as corralled on the property. They are friendly and will accept grass picked for them. There is also one feisty, lovable resident cat prowling the grounds. I affectionately gave him the nickname El Guapo. While sitting by the pool it wasn't uncommon for him to jump up on my lap and hang out. He wasn't annoying to any extent, just present and willing to take a scratch if offered. Finally, the hosts Mary and Hector. They live on the property and are available at any time. They were most welcoming and made us feel at home. I really enjoyed their company out by the pool and in the screened gazebo. They were more than willing to sit down and direct us to points of interest on the island and suggest options for dining, recreation and shopping. I was very happy to meet them and hope to keep in touch with them. If you can't tell I'd recommend Mary and Hector and Hector's by the Sea and I'm hoping I'll make it back to visit with them soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2014

What an awesome experience staying at Hector's April 1st-April 4th. We stayed in the Casita Vistamar, the one closest to the ocean and the horses were just steps from our room. We explored up & down the rocky shore & saw crabs, a live large conch shell, & wild horses. Our room was large and bright with a microwave, fridge, & kitchen sink & we purchased coffee & supplies at the green store in Esperanza. Hector and Mary were great hosts & gave us tips about the area. We discovered rain can cause unique experiences as it did one afternoon when we saw a large water spout sort of like a tornado on the ocean a little ways out in front of Hector's. We enjoyed wine in the hot tub under a canopy of stars which was heavenly.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple