Hector's by the Sea
Malecon House(Isla de Vieques)
$163
El Blok Hotel(Esperanza)
$162
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Hacienda Tamarindo(Isla de Vieques)
$167
$130
Official Site
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
Hix Island House(Isla de Vieques)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
Bravo Beach Hotel(Isla de Vieques)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsblue horizonmangobeach chairshorses grazingcoffee makerbio baycaribbean seathe black sand beachlovely hostsloved staying heremini fridgeshort drivecome homesecret beachoff the beaten pathlaid backoverlooking the ocean
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The sweet owner/hostess Mary welcomed us and gave us the informational tour of her (and husband Hector's) lovely property where they live and offer guesthouse accommodations. They offer one small room that stands upstairs like a crow's nest, and 2 large rooms that are housed together duplex-style. The two large rooms mirror each other with very spacious room for 2 double beds with soft cotton coverlets; plenty of closet space furnished with cooler and beach towels; a small simple kitchenette with dorm fridge, microwave, and coffee maker; bath with nice shower. The louvered windows allowed the breeze to flow through and the ocean breakers to be heard, and they could also be closed for using the AC.
My daughter loved lounging in the hammock on the small front porch while reading. I enjoyed the hot tub and crystal-clear pool, not to mention walking along the rocky beach combing for pieces of coral, sponges, and shells. The beach here is more for admiring than for swimming; but we found plenty of amazing swimming beaches on the island. Beach chairs are provided; but the only wish I could add would be for snorkel equipment to borrow or rent as a convenience.
We had Verizon voice and text connectivity the entire time, and I was happy to be without TV and internet for awhile; but my daughters went next door to try to get connected. They said service was too slow for their apps, etc; but we found service in town.
My older teenagers loved it but there are some hazards for youngsters, like the pool, hot-tub, and horses ... all of which are openly accessible.
Horses can be seen all around the property but they were never roaming completely free while we were there, even though Mary warned us she has a friendly one who has learned to open the gate. While the property and stay were tranquil, the drive in is anything but ... we got good use out of our jeep on the short but well-rutted entry, which basically is a right hook around Hacienda Tamarindo, as if you are driving around back to the staff entrance.
Both the Hacienda Tamarindo and Inn on the Blue Horizon are just a stone's throw from Hector's and we enjoyed walking over for breakfast at either. You pretty much need a car to get around the rest of the island; although it would be nice to have alternatives to everyone having to rent a car of their own ... I did see several of the locals trotting along on horses, but they didn't have to carry luggage.
*** Don't forget that Mary requests CHECK OR CASH to pay your balance. I didn't bring my checkbook, but luckily had the cash. ENJOY !

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Anita H
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Nestled on a hillside on the ocean is a simple and comfortable new discovery....one of my top new spots! There are only 3 rooms. We stayed in a large suite facing the ocean. It has a small kitchenette, a nice size bathroom, and a porch with a hammock. There is no food offered but the kitchenette allows for some basic cooking and there is a hotel with a fabulous restaurant next door. It is just a short walk and there is an agreement between the two hotels for visitors staying at Hector 's to be able to use the restaurant. We had breakfast there each morning and it is excellent food. They also have wifi at the hotel and restaurant next door. The beach on the premises is lovely to take a short walk. It is rocky so not great for swimming. The owner's have horses and their neighbors have a horse riding facility next door. The view of the hillside with the horses grazing is breathtaking.
We fell in love with Hector's and we plan to return. The owners are lovely people.

Room Tip: There are 2 rooms facing the ocean. Great view and spacious rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jfran
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I loved staying at Hector's: the location is away from town, so you don't get the hustle and bustle of Esperanza, but you're a very short drive away, so it's super convenient. The property itself is very lovely, hilly, green, several horses wandering around, overlooking the Caribbean sea. It's a perfect and quiet place to stargaze at night or to hang out on your hammock. Hector and Mary are very friendly and helpful.

While the grounds are top notch, be aware that the rooms are a little spare. The bathroom only has a half wall, so you can hear everything going on in there. There are bugs (roaches, but I imagine this can't be helped in the tropics), and there's no kitchen or cleaning service. Also, on the weekends, very loud music in Esperanza drifts across the waters, but this can generally be muffled by shutting the window blinds (windows don't actually close) and turning on the AC.

For the most part, you're paying for the incredible locale, the stunning grounds, and friendly hospitality from the hosts. It's definitely worth it, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pixieray
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Loved everything about this. Hector and Mary are friendly, knowledgeable, accommodating and fun to talk to. Only three guestrooms; each one with its own private porch. They provide beach chairs, towels and cooler for the beach rambles that are what make a Vieques vacation great -- but the grounds (sea view, horses, pool, hot tub, privacy) are so lovely, you may want to hang at Hector's for hours and hours.
Small note: kitchenettes have microwaves, but no stoves, so don't expect to do heavy cooking.
Place is super clean but daily service is not part of the package.
Already thinking about when we might go back-- for longer than the 3 nights of our first visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on the last leg of our Puerto Rico honeymoon. Hector is a character and could not have been a better host. My husband is a big fisherman and loves catching shellfish as well. He was determined to catch lobster while we were in Puerto Rico. Hector told him where he could find lobster (in the water right behind the hotel, which was convenient!) and when he caught lobster, Hector cooked it up for us! It was such a fun night. Every patio has a hammock, where I relaxed while my husband was lobstering. Beach chairs and a cooler are also provided, which is a nice touch. We stayed in villa 3, it was closest to the water. It has a kitchenette area with a sink. If you are staying at Hector's, and well, really if you are visiting Vieques at all, rent a 4 wheel drive jeep. You have to take a bumpy dirt road to get there. At first it seems like you are not going the right way, but you are. The hot tub is in the middle of the large field, and since there are only 3 villas total my husband and I had it to ourselves each night. The star gazing on Vieques is amazing, and viewing the stars from a hot tub is even better. I appreciated that we had the option to turn on an a/c unit. It made sleeping at night more comfortable. I would absolutely return to Hector's, in fact I hope to.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple