“Best place to stay on Vieques”
Review of Amapola Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Amapola Inn
Ranked #24 of 32 Isla de Vieques B&B and Inns
NYC
“Best place to stay on Vieques”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This is literally in the middle of everything you will do. Make sure you get a room in the back , otherwise it will be too noisy. I stayed the 1st night in the front building, due to a room mix up, and I heard every dish being washed. The restaurant is $$$ but delicious. Had breakfast every morning at the pancake place 2 blocks away (free wifi) . Parking for your beach bound car too. A little nicer than basic, but heard nothing but bad things about W hotel , so this is your best bet. Great staff !

Room Tip: Get one of the bigger apartments ( even for 2) in the back.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank elvisatc

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I stayed at the Amapola Inn at the end of Feb 2012 for 3 nights. This place is in the perfect location and as a solo female traveler without a rental car, this was perfect for me. It's right on the main strip of Esperanza (which mind you is a very, very small and quiet strip!) next to restaurants, stores and the beach.

The Inn is pretty basic - I stayed in a very small room with just a bed and private bath and not much more but this was fine for me, I just needed a place to sleep! I felt very safe - they lock up the front, side and back entrances at night but give you a key to the side entrance so you can get in and out at all hours but only by key. The front desk definitely didn't seem to be staffed around the clock so that might be something worth asking about - if you need assistance outside of regular hours. My room was only cleaned and restocked with fresh towels once during my 3 night stay which didn't really bother me - I was left with a few bath towels so I was fine. And I was able to borrow a fresh beach towel each day.

I was there during the week - Tues-Fri. The Bili restaurant (along with a few others) weren't open on Tuesday and some even closed on Wednesday but the area really came alive on Thursday and Friday (I left Fri AM) and I will definitely go back over the weekend next time. This was surprising though considering its high tourist season right now. I guess its a testament to how quiet and low-key Vieques is - part of the alure for me!

The front desk staff was very friendly - I didn't have any issues and didn't really interact with the staff much but I suppose that is a good thing that I didn't need to! My stay was issue-free.

The beach across the street from this place is not Sun Bay - I thought that was the case but its not. THere is a beach across the street but its super small and seems to be where boats dock. But it is good for taking a quick dip and enjoying the view. Sun Bay is a decent walk down the beach - maybe 15-20 mins. It's a nice walk though, beautiful. I just thought it was closer.

I didn't have a rental car but only being there for a couple of days and being by myself I didn't really feel like I needed one, especially with this Inn's location but had I been there even another day or two, I would absolutely have wanted a car or at least rent a scooter. There is just not a whole lot to do or see within walking distance.

Overall, great little place, cute, nice staff, perfect location, safe, very basic if you are looking for something without all kinds of amenities.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank kristyeh82
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Amapola Inn perfectly feets on Vieques. It has great location (few metres from the beach and on the malecon). Our room was nice and comfy, we stayed in the one at the back, that have kitchenette (with microwave, fridge and coffee maker). When we made reservation, we recieved a special offer, because we stayed for a longer period. Since then we had a feeling that everything will be perfect. And it was.

What we loved the most, were people who work there. They are friendly and always prepared to help.

Vieques became our favourite place and if (when) we'll return, we'll definitely stay again at Amapola.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Amapola is right off the water and the rooms are excellent for the value. The real key to this place though is the people. Kind, warm, and accomodating, they made me and the party that we stayed there with (we were there for a wedding) feel like the place was ours. In a fun part of town as well.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rahul J
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed January 20, 2012

This guesthouse is a perfect chice for those that wanted to be on the "in" area, steps fron the nightlife, just minutes from beautiful beaches,!! For the price is the best deal you can do on the island, its very clean and the service is excellent.....

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leonor_Rivera
Bay City, Michigan
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Good rooms, good service, good people, good beds. I'm glad that I stayed here I would do it again.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Gilgamesh42
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I stayed at the Amapola in August 2011 with my 12 year old daughter. We got the cheapest room which was $92 per night with tax. The room was small but clean. The food at the on-site restaurant was good and there were plenty of choices for vegetarians (I recommend the eggplant fries). The beach was directly across the street from the restaurant but the view is partially obstructed. The view during dinner was definitely above average. (See pictures.) Overall, the location is great; it has access to all the things the island has to offer for both day time activities as well as nightlife.

The best thing about this hotel was the service; the entire staff that we encountered was helpful but one employee in particular, the desk worker/waitress, stood out (unfortunately I didn't get her name). She was friendly, courteous, knowledgeable and helpful- an all together joy to be around. Really, my only complaint is that the hotel has no internet access. I'll probably stay here again next time I visit Vieques.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family