“Most memorable day of our trip!”

Esperanza Riding Company
Ranked #8 of 42 Tours in Isla de Vieques
More attraction details
Owner description: Get off the beaten path and experience Vieques the way locals do; from the back of a smooth-gaited Paso horse! Everyone will tell you, there is no better way to explore the wilder side of our island. Our guided two-hour ride takes you through the hills, open meadows, woods, river bottoms and beaches of the Esperanza area. You'll even get to try out the paso (a smoother version of the trot)! We offer rides at 8:00 am and 4:00 pm; to avoid mid-day heat. The cost is $80 per person (group ride), cash only. Private tours and kid-friendly rides also available. Reservations are required and don't forget your camera!Please refer to our website for more information.
Rincon, Puerto Rico
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Most memorable day of our trip!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

WOW what a day! We came to PR for day one and flew to Vieques for days two and three. The purpose of our trip? To have the most memorable elopement possible... Was it the MOST memorable? ABSOLUTELY. HUGE thanks to Elizabeth! My wife contacted her beforehand and proposed our crazy idea to get married on horseback on Playa Negra. Elizabeth stated that while she had never done something like this before, she was up to the challenge. Well, to us, it seemed like she was a seasoned wedding aficionado. So Elizabeth, her two dogs, us and three horses head for our journey thru matrimony. It was everything my wife had dreamed and SO MUCH more. Highlights included perfect weather, trotting thru the ocean, wild horses coming to visit while taking wedding pictures, an insane looking huge spider, finding sea glass that matched our wedding colors and memories for a lifetime. We can't thank you enough Elizabeth for an unforgettable experience that we still talk about everyday and its been almost a month! Can't wait to come back for our anniversary!

Cary, North Carolina
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Great Hand Led Kids Rides”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I went on a the full ride with ERC a few years back with my husband and we loved the whole experience. Elizabeth let us run the horses on the beach and boy was that fun! This trip we had the kids with us and not sure they are ready for a 3 hour tour, so we let them do the hand led mini trail ride. They loved it! My 6 year old was on Chico who she renamed Chubby due to his love of stopping for snacks all the time. I don't remember who my 8 year old was on but both horses were very gentle with the kids. Afterwards they let the girls feed the horses treats in the shade. It was a very, very hot morning with almost no wind so the short ride was perfect. A year later the girls have completed a 1.5 hour ride with no problem so next time we take them down to Vieques we are going to do the full ride at ERC - all of us!

My only suggestion is if you take the full ride early in the day and are not used to horse back riding (we are casual riders not horse pros), plan for a laid back afternoon after the ride. You just might be a little (lot) more sore than you think. And fruity drinks at a bar overlooking the ocean help ease the pain too!

Visited May 2012
Boston, MA
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A fun way to see the island”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a group of 8, with a variety of riding abilities. Elizabeth was very careful in pairing horse and rider, and clearly knows her animals well. We rode on trails, the road, a couple of beaches and up into the hills. It was a great couple of hours! While most of the trip was at a walk, we did have a couple of opportunities to go faster in the enjoyable pasofino gaited "trot" which is much smoother than a regular trot.

Lake Ronkonkoma, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Well trained horses. Great for everyone. Great views. FUN”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

It's hard to describe how great this adventure was. This was the most fun thing I did on Vieques. The whole tour was very entertaining from introduction all through riding through the last pasture. We had a really fun group and had many laughs while riding. Enjoyed it much more than bio-bay. Loved going up and down hills, checking out the views, and connecting with Carolina (my horse for the tour.) I love interactive tours, and this was as good as they get. The horses tended to know what to do at all times, but the guides will help you learn whatever you want if you simply ask! :-)

You will be riding Western style (not English). Wear a camelBak to stay hydrated.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our ride was one breathtaking view after another!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Riding the passofinos of Vieques was one of the things I most looked forward to on our trip to Vieques. We were a group of four, myself and my husband and our two teenage daughters. I was the most experienced rider and my husband has only ridden a few times. Everyone felt very secure on their horse which allowed them to relax and enjoy the ride. Our guide was confidant and friendly, leading us through the little town of Esperanza, through Two(!!) beaches only in the first 15 minutes! Then we strode through parts of the island that can only see on horseback. i loved the morning ride, and next time I come to Vieques I will not only return to Esperanza Riding, but schedule more rides. One was not enough!!