“Great tour with a well-dealt-with problem...”

Esperanza Riding Company
Ranked #8 of 40 Tours in Isla de Vieques
More attraction details
Owner description: Get off the beaten path and experience Vieques the way locals do; from the back of a smooth-gaited Paso horse! Everyone will tell you, there is no better way to explore the wilder side of our island. Our guided two-hour ride takes you through the hills, open meadows, woods, river bottoms and beaches of the Esperanza area. You'll even get to try out the paso (a smoother version of the trot)! We offer rides at 8:00 am and 4:00 pm; to avoid mid-day heat. The cost is $80 per person (group ride), cash only. Private tours and kid-friendly rides also available. Reservations are required and don't forget your camera!Please refer to our website for more information.
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Wow! This was a really fun and exciting tour. We actually got to go pretty fast, which was great, and quite rare in my experience with riding tours. My favorite part was getting to gallop and riding through the jungle! My least favorite part was not the tour operator's fault, but we had a run-in with a family that was hunting. Apparently they were not supposed to be there, as it is public land, and they did not stop shooting just because we were riding past, which was insanely rude. Darcy was our tour guide and she handled the situation exceedingly well, and got us out of there in a hurry. This experience also spoke volumes to the horses! All three of our horses obviously felt very nervous and jumped when the gun went off, but none of them spooked, and we were able to navigate around the situation without any problems. What awesome horses!! Darcy had never encountered this issue before in her many hundreds of rides, so it is far from to be expected from the tour, but since stressful situations on a ride are not predictable, we really appreciated her cool-headed reaction, as well as the horses excellent composure in this stressful situation. I would definitely go out riding with Darcy and these horses again!

2  Thank TravelLover93923
"pata negra"
in 4 reviews
"puerto rico"

Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is my first time riding a horse and maybe like 1000th time for my girlfriend.
We both enjoyed it so very much and I can't wait to have a chance to ride a horse again.
The manager (Darcy??) was very good with what she does and the horses are well taken care of.

My horse, Willy, was bit frustrated with my non-existent riding skills and tried to go fast a few times (which freaked me out a bit) but he ended up giving me a break. :)

1  Thank Hiro A
Reviewed September 21, 2012

As a veterinarian I appreciated the regard and care given to the horses (not always a given) . My husband who is a novice rider was well placed on a lovely gentle beginners horse which was a good match. Not all of the ride wasmajest

1  Thank C M
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Our famly group included some experienced riders and some novices. The horses were wonderful, gentle but with plenty of spunk. This is an "active" ride, not just nose-to-tail walking. We cantered and did the special "Paso" gait the horses are known for. The trip took us through the jungle, down the beach, across fields and through parts of town including the main tourist strip of Esperanza. It was a wonderful experience and a highlight of our visit to see the island from this perspective. My 7-year old niece did the pony ride, which was on her own horse but tethered to another rider. She was thrilled with the experience as well. I highly recommend Esperanza Riding Company and hope to take another ride with them someday!

2  Thank mexicojo