“Spectacular!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carambola Restaurant

Carambola Restaurant
Cuisines: Caribbean, Puerto Rican, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: If you have ever enjoyed the rich variety of the Caribbean flavors you will surely find yourself in culinary heaven. Exquisite dining in tropical tranquility in front of the ocean. Our Executive Chef Xandra delights herself in providing you with a colorful and flavorful palate of exquisite dishes infused with that wonderful tropical flair that will challenge you to stay away from the kitchen. We have breakfast, lunch and dinner! Carambola, also known as Star Fruit, was created to provide exceptional cuisine to both guest and patrons alike. The restaurant is located at The Blue Horizon Boutique Resort which is set on 54 acres of over front property. The location of the resort offers a true Caribbean atmosphere which is complemented by our new age cuisine.
“Spectacular!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

Omg this is the best Puerto Rican food I have ever had! Hands down. The flavors were amazing and service was out of this world. I really recommend this restaurant to anyone. You will not regret it. If possible stay a couple days and try several dishes. Everything is great!

• Visited May 2014

Atlanta, Georgia
“Avoid this one”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

After reading an ad on our Cape Air flight that boasted that Carambola had the best mofongo on the island, we decided to make a special trip to try it. My husband loves mofongo, so we saved Carambola for our last "special" meal in Vieques. Oh my mistake, Carambola was awful!!!

The only high point of our meal was our wonderful server, Chinita. She was excellent and a true asset to Carambola, unfortunately she could not save the meal. The mofongo was a hideous, dry disaster, served in what can only be described as a giant wooden ice-cream sundae bowl. It was like eating a weird, sandy mess.

I had a newly added garlic chicken dish. I don't know why the menu insists on naming both chefs, as though they are award winning culinary masters, because a 5 year old could cook a better piece of chicken. It was clearly microwaved and tasteless. My entire dish, including my rubber chicken, was covered in this odd sauce that turned the sides into a mushy mess. I don't know what was worse, the inedible chicken that I could barely cut into or the soupy baby food side dishes smothered in disgusting sauce. Either way, both of us ate only a few bites of our sad, sad meals.

We both felt awful for Chinita at having to work at a place where the quality of food was so lacking, we decided to not send the food back. Besides, what else would we order? If their signature dishes were so foul, I couldn't imagine the other options. Instead our plates were cleared from the table with virtually the same amount of food on them as they had when they were brought out to us.
What a waste of money and such a beautiful space. Do yourself and your stomach a favor and avoid the Carambola Island Restaurant.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank CMS101
InnontheBlueHorizon, General Manager at Carambola Restaurant, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear CMS101:

We would like to thank you for your review and apologize if the food served to you and your husband was not what you were expecting. There are people who love mofongo and others that do not like it at all. At Carambola Restaurant we are proud of our service and the food that comes out of our kitchen. Every single dish is prepared at the moment; we use local grown and organic products, fresh poultry, fish and meats. We are very sorry that you didn’t like the Mofongo or Chicken, which by the way was not cooked in a microwave.

Mofongo is a signature dish not, only for Carambola but in PR, it is serve on a hand carved wooden bowl, called “pilón”. The “pilones are made by a local artist named “Daniel Silva”. To serve Mofongo with out a “pilón” is not a Mofongo.

Our Chef Bayrex is an international chef, with many cultures experiences; as we mentioned before he is very proud of his product which is his card of presentation. . Cassandra “Chinita” was asked about how you and your husband enjoyed your meal, and her honest answer was, ”our patrons had a good time and a good food experience, they did not complained about the food and did not left food on their plates” Chinita loves her job and is very proud of being part of the Carambola family.

We extend you and your husband an invitation to visit us again and try some of other plates from our delicious menu.
Wilmington, Delaware
“I was expecting better.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

The place is beautiful. The service is great. I came with four others for an evening dinner.

The food was average at best. However, the scallops were very good and the whole fish dinner.

The quality of the food did not justify the price.

Visited May 2014
maine
“lovely view- awful service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

We ate at the bar an grill on this property. It seemed like it took forever to order and receive our meal. When the meals came, they were overpriced and not that tasty. The chicken mofunga was tough. After 3 bites, my daughter was done. I had better luck with the vege mofunga. The other two meals were average at best. After dinner our check was nowhere to be found. Finally everything was settled but it took quite a while. The view was beautiful. If I EVER go again it will just be for a drink to enjoy the sunset.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank bitsybabs
Boston, Massachusetts
“Dreadful service, overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

My family and I tried out this restaurant earlier this week. Food was mixed, but very expensive for what it was. But the service - wow. I could point out numerous issues, but here is one example. After asking for the check twice, we were told that they had list our check. Rather than write out a new one, they continued to search for it for a good 20-25 minutes while we waited and waited...

2 Thank scottrgiven