“Dreadful service, overpriced”

Carambola Restaurant
Cuisines: Caribbean, Puerto Rican, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: If you have ever enjoyed the rich variety of the Caribbean flavors you will surely find yourself in culinary heaven. Exquisite dining in tropical tranquility in front of the ocean. Our Executive Chef Xandra delights herself in providing you with a colorful and flavorful palate of exquisite dishes infused with that wonderful tropical flair that will challenge you to stay away from the kitchen. We have breakfast, lunch and dinner! Carambola, also known as Star Fruit, was created to provide exceptional cuisine to both guest and patrons alike. The restaurant is located at The Blue Horizon Boutique Resort which is set on 54 acres of over front property. The location of the resort offers a true Caribbean atmosphere which is complemented by our new age cuisine.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Dreadful service, overpriced”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

My family and I tried out this restaurant earlier this week. Food was mixed, but very expensive for what it was. But the service - wow. I could point out numerous issues, but here is one example. After asking for the check twice, we were told that they had list our check. Rather than write out a new one, they continued to search for it for a good 20-25 minutes while we waited and waited...

2 Thank scottrgiven

Binghamton, New York
“not worth the view”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I come to Vieques twice a year and try to remain as un-bias as possible to all the eating establishments on the island. I generally don't write reviews anywhere on the internet.
I ate here back in 07' and promised I'd never go back.
and lo and behold...I was back for dinner
granted the view is great but the food is dreadful.
We asked for a pasta "kids meal" for our 5 year old and we got a $27 plate of pasta with chicken chunks.
Ordered the Mofungo and got a cup of grease.
I can only equate Carambola with any restaurant in any Casino/Hotel in San juan or the Bahamas near an International airport of some kind
good luck

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank adam k
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Liked the whole experience very much”
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

Laid back - my husband and I called in for a cocktail and ended up staying for paella - the bar man was fun and attentive and made a great punch - the paella was very good and the place was peaceful and pretty - would definitely return

• Visited March 2014
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Disconnect”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

As part of the Blue Horizon, a slightly stayed but small and beautiful inn, the location is close to spectacular. You can see by the buildings, fine construction and landscape that a lot of effort and thought has gone into this place. And the staff is very nice. But the dining staff does not have a clue. I asked about a Spanish wine's character and was assured it was Spanish by the person pointed out as the expert. That was the most complex response I got about the wines on the list. She described a light dry wine I am familiar with as being heavy and sweet. Dinner was good, no doubt, but no better than the far less expensive food served at in town along the Malecon. Got the feeling there was little staff training and the kitchen performed without thinking of the diners or management oversight.

• Visited March 2014
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
“Such beautiful setting- a hidden jem”
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Even if you just go for drinks. Go. It's at the blue horizon hotel. They have this awesome big round bar that overlooks the water and sunset. Really the only place on the island for water view dining. They even have a rooftop area for better views. The resort itself is small but looks so nice. The staff was super nice. We were a little disappointed when we found out the Chef was off island and it was only the sou chef but stayed anyways. The calamari app was yummy - sauce was garlic central. The Mozzerella and tomato salad so good. The island tomatoes are so fresh. One mistake was trying the scallops app after my new found liking of scallops. Well these were not good. We actually think they were bad. Did a # on both our stomachs with only eating one. The sauce was yummy though with bread. Just not tasty scallops. Very chewy- for dinner I got the tamarind churrssco and it was delicious. Hubby got the shrimp pesto pasta which was also delightful. Definitely worth a try. One thing disappointing was they were out of lobster. How does a careibean restaurant run out of lobster when we were the first diners there for the evening!