“Not sure what is so great about this place”
Review of Taverna

Taverna
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The islands only authentic Italian restaurant. Featuring classic pasta dishes, fresh salads, New York style pizza (with our famous whole wheat crust), daily specials and desserts. Available for sit down dining or takeout. Street parking, AC, WiFi, and only a two minute walk from the ferry. Located off the plaza in Isabel Segunda, open for dinner only. Reservations recommended
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Based on reviews here, we expected a lot more. The food was OK, not bad, but nothing exceptional either. I had the pasta puttanesca, and honestly what I make at home is better. I usually can't make that claim, but it's true in this case. The sauce was spicy, but very heavy. Those who had the pizza said it was OK, but nothing better than you would get at a corner pizza place.

1  Thank Beccajammom

Reviewed March 14, 2012

Good wine and different italian food. A nice change!

Reviewed March 14, 2012

After having drinks at Al's, we walked the two or so blocks to Taverna, based on a recommendation from a patron of Al's Bar. He said that his last meal was so good there, that he kissed the chef.

Food was great, service was even better. The server was a woman from Wisconsin who came to Vieques on vacation and fell in love with it. She went back home, quit her job in the mortgage industry, sold her stuff and came back. By the way, this seems to be similar to the few stories we heard from Anglo Americans who lived on the island--that is, when they would tell us their reason for moving there. Most didn't.

At any rate, the meal was excellent! There is a good selection from which to choose. The dish that surprised me the most was my friend's low-carb pasta dish that was made out of strands of zucchini. It was crazy-good, and I am not a huge fan of zucchini. For dessert, we tried the flour less chocolate cake with amaretto whipped cream. Wow.

Don't miss this place. It is a block off the square.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

If you love Italian cuisine this quaint little restaurant on a side street in Isabel Segunda is a must stop. My wife and I with family and friends thoroughly enjoyed excellently prepared meals. The salads were fresh, tasty and plentiful. To my unexpected delight my Veal Parmigiana, I can honestly say, was the best that I have ever had (at age 65 I have had many)! The thin crust pizza was also eagerly devoured by all. The meal prices are very reasonable. The waitress and staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Make reservations before going since you'll find this wonderful place a very popular destination.
I lowered my 'Atmosphere' rating from a 5 to a 4 only because the place was somewhat noisy due to cement walls with no window curtains to help absorb the verbal activity.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

We have eaten here several years. Menu has now changed to Italian. Less variety, but excellent food.