“Nice place, conch is great”
Review of Orquideas - CLOSED

Orquideas
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Orquideas offers tapas and small plates as well as a selection of daily specials. We support local farmers. We are open every night for dinner until midnight. Reservations are encouraged. We have a full bar, an extensive wine selection, a large cocktail menu and craft beers. Thank you to all our patrons and reviewers, we hope to see you return to see us next season!
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Cheaper than El Quenepo but the food is just as good. Get the conch, it's the best I've ever had.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

We stayed in Vieques for 7 days, and dined here 4 of them. We continued to try other restaurants in Esperanza and elsewhere, but on every occasion found ourselves returning here afterwards, or wishing we had just gone again in the first place. This is not because there aren't other fine dining opportunities on Vieques; Quite the contrary, you have your pick. Orchideas is just that good. I would feel the same way had I only eaten the food, but the fact is, the staff and Chef Richard Nell made it such an accommodating and laid back experience,we found ourselves wanting to return again and again. I am from Chicago, so I am no stranger to fine dining or great steak. I've eaten at Gene & Georgettis, The Chop House, Ruth Chris', Lowrys, The Grange, Trotters, you name it. Chef Richard Nell prepared a variety of cuts across a span of meals/days, and each was prepared to absolute perfection. To me, that is the definition of a master; Consistently exemplary preparation.

Our last meal on Vieques was a chef's table experience at Orchideas. Chef Richard catered to us for close to 4 hours of mind blowing plates, with zen like simplicity. The complexity is in the preparation, as we found ourselves saying over and over, 'how can this be so good? Its only tuna or steak, or caprese salad..' An analogy: If you can appreciate what Apple does with technology that makes them a cut above the fray, you will appreciate what Richard does with food. (Cant help it, I'm a professional geek!)

The use of organic micro greens and local produce on most of the plates took each entree to the next level. I will be starting a crop of my own soon, and cant wait to incorporate micro greens into my own meals at home. Why don't I see these used more elsewhere? Genius.

The tuna poke' is not to be missed either. I had never had fish that could follow the intensity of a great steak, and still stand up. Now I have. Thats really saying something. I might even bet that, even if you dont enjoy seafood, you will still love this. I couldn't leave my girlfriends plate alone.

Excellent (and reasonable!) wine selection, red, white, and sparkling.

Every restaurant has room for improvement, and I'm splitting hairs here, but I wish that they had offered a few more desert options, if only to broaden our experience there. The flan, paired with a bottle of pink champagne on a breezy evening was bliss. Full disclosure: we ordered the flan at every meal, regardless. We even went for dessert after dining elsewhere :)

Thank you -- Chef Richard, Brian, and the rest of the staff for truly setting the benchmark, I only wish I could visit on a regular basis.

TL;DR; Do not miss it. If you have any desire to eat elsewhere, go there first, otherwise you will find yourself comparing everything that you eat to what you were served at Orchideas, and leaving disappointed.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

A great steak with a presentation I've seldom seen. The staff helpful and genuinely friendly. I commented to the server Brian that the only thing that would make the dinner complete would be company. He promptly took my plate, escorted me to the bar where I was introduced to the other patrons and had the best evening of my stay on Vieques. THAT's service above and beyond!

Reviewed April 26, 2012

We have been coming to vieques for 17 years and we use the last night for something special. This was our first time at the steakhouse. We shared a salad and the ribeye steak. The steak was done perfectly, the baked potato had a nice crusty shell and the meal was fine. The atmosphere is okay, because the people make it fun and not too pretentious. The price is just high. Our 14 oz steak and potato, split salad, glass of wine and one rum punch came to $65.00. That is too much. The service was great and we enjoyed ourselves, but it is hard to pay that much for a split meal. Although all the prices on Vieques have gone up and it makes it an expensive vacation.

Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

Took my son there for a birthday dinner and it was great.. Chef Richard came out and greeted us and made a speacial dinner for my son which it was grilled chicken breast and mash.. I had a tuna poke which I may add its a must try.. The waitress ali was so nice and my son had a great time with her she's good with kids and even brought my son a birthday flan compliment from the chef and she and the hostess omi sang happy birthday.. My son was so happy.. Couldnt have been any better.. You must try the drink that the bartender igor makes its called a bridget.. On behalf of my son and I thank u Orquideas staff...

1  Thank LovingFoodnlife