“Yummy Veggie Food!”

Dining options: Lunch, Takeout
Los Angeles, California
“Yummy Veggie Food!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I don't eat meat, my boyfriend does. We were super happy when we stopped here for lunch after reading great reviews. Stop here before hitting the beach - there is nothing like eating their yummy sandwiches under the trees at Media Luna ... Pretty sure anything you get here will be great

Visited February 2013

Near NYC
“I love truck eateries”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is a great stop on your way to the beach. There is something for everyone..even a vegan like me! The food is good, and surprisingly "interesting" considering its being served from an old truck. This used to Rasta Pasta many years ago and the new owners have really turned around the quality and variety.

Visited March 2013
New York City, New York
“Now I understand what all the hype is about!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I didn't want to like this truck. In fact I was a little confused about how a dingy truck stop could be rated so highly on TA. After stopping for lunch 2 times - I get it. The food is really good for what it is. The Carnitas (like pulled port tacos) are incredible.

Visited March 2013
Andover, Massachusetts
“Amazing food! Grab some and then head to the beach!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Great food from a truck on the way to the beach. The empanadas are to die for. They have absolutely amazing hot sauces!!!

• Visited April 2012
Wilmette, Illinois
“HAD to check it out”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Considering this is #1 in Vieques, and we've passed it en route to and from our favorite beach for years, it was time to check out Sol Food. It's currently open Fri, from 11am - ?; Sat & Sun, 11am - "til food runs out" -- and we'd learned they had run out way earlier than they usually close last Sun. We got there shortly after 11 -- like 11:20 am, and there were about 10 people ahead of us, most of whom had ordered. Food really is cooked to order. There was a sizable number of folks after us. The process of ordering, paying, getting one's order is very cool and organized.

The prices of various offerings range from $3 per empanada to $10 for plates of various main courses with selections of sides. $9 sandwiches. (There might have been cheaper side salads...) Plenty of options for vegetarians, and maybe vegans, depending on degree of strictness (eg, might have butter in like empanada crust -- or not). My husband and I ordered 2 beef empanadas and 2 vegetable ones and brought them back to our rental casa. There are a few plastic chairs and tables behind the truck under a tree. Empanadas would be transported to the beach really well.

OK, the beef and the vegetable empanadas were each fabulous and radically different from each other. First, think pasty a la UP of Michigan, or a turnover; i.e., can be eaten with one hand. The crust is ultra-flaky and delicious. The beef is ground, there are small green pitted olives mixed in and the flavor is pretty subtly tangy. The vegetable ones are entirely different in both flavor and texture: "saucier" yet not at all messy, with mushrooms, spinach and we weren't sure what else -- though contents are on posted menu. Both kinds were fabulous and made for a truly delicious brunch. My husband ate only one (his beef one is in the fridge), but I ate both of mine! Would definitely pick up a couple of these again en route to the beach.

• Visited March 2013