“A real find on Vieques”

Cuisines: Armenian, Caribbean, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed May 18, 2011

When we returned to Vieques for a week's vacation in April, we expected to eat decent (if not great) food in Isabelle Segunda and Esperanza, the island's two major towns. But we didn't expect that our major food find -- and my hands-down favorite -- would be Sol Food, the island's only food truck. Sol Food is parked [well: it's on blocks, so it doesn't move] at Garcia Gate, the entrance to the Red/Blue/Orchid beaches on Route 997. Sol Food serves on Thursday through Sunday from 11:00-3:30, or whenever the fixins run out.

Fortunately, we discovered Sol Food early in our visit to Vieques, so we were able to have lunch there for three of our days on the island. While I can see that lunch at one of the bars along the Malecon in Esperanza may be appealing to those who insist on a drink with their lunch, you won't have better food there than you will at Sol Food. So may I suggest you bring some beer or tequila, which would pair nicely with Sol Food's tart limeade (though the limeaide is great on its own, too!) and sit under the tree, or on one of the beaches? And dig in to some delightful food.

Sol Food is run by two gringoes, chef Nicole Olivelli and Les Jones, who takes orders and serves. You might think that the casual surroundings -- a broken-down truck perched on cement blocks with some serviceable plastic chairs and tables for those who want to "dine in" -- would mean that the food isn't carefully prepared or the menu thoughtfully planned. And you'd be totally wrong. Our three lunches at Sol Food revealed that Nicole not only has a sly sense of humor in creating her menus, but demonstrates close attention to the preparation of her dishes.

The menu, which changes from time to time, includes sandwiches, empanadas, salads, and pichons -- skewers of marinated shrimp or chicken. There are vegetarian and vegan options, too.

One day, I had carnitas -- as good as any I've had from restaurants, stands or trucks in New York, Chicago's Pilsen [Mexican] neighborhood, or elsewhere -- stuffed into wonderful small tortillas (ditto). My wife's first shrimp pichon one day and it was a bit undercooked for her taste (but not for mine). But it was zesty and fresh. The next day, she asked for it more well done -- and it was perfect. The Caribbean Pulled Pork sandwich is served on a decent roll, which sopped up the tasty juices from the pork and the (fresh & crunchy) cabbage slaw slathered on top. For my third lunch, I ordered My Funky O, slices of marinated white-meat chicken, perfectly cooked, with lettuce, tomato, and a tasty aioli.

Be sure to try the limeade -- appropriately tart, not overly sweet, very refreshing.

You won't want to miss Sol Food's homemade hot sauce. It's made by Nicole and adds flavor to the taste, finishing with some (but not too much) heat. I begged a bottle of the Essence of Chernobyl to carry home in my luggage. I'd vote for a line of Sol Food hot sauces -- starting with this one.

All in all, it's hard to beat Sol Food: everything we had was exceptional, well-prepared, and reasonably priced. Great food, lovely people, fair prices.

1  Thank mstvt

Reviewed April 29, 2011

Do not miss this place! What a gem - perfect location at the entrance to some of the island's best beaches - everything sounded delicious - we wanted to order the entire menu!

Reviewed April 25, 2011

This was hands down the best value on the island. What a treat to pick-up island chow on the way to the beach. We stopped twice and would have returned again had they been open Monday - Wednesday. If you are there on the weekend, don't miss this local treasure!

Reviewed April 12, 2011

Stopped here for lunch after some beach time, and were we pleasantly surprised! Without a doubt, the best food we had on Vieques (we had nothing but casual fare while we were on the island).
I had the pulled pork sandwich and my wife had the funky o chicken sandwich. The bread on both was spectacular. Fresh ingredients and the pork was tender, juicy, and full of flavor. Literally, one of the best pork sandwiches I've ever eaten, melt in your mouth good.
Nice selection for a food truck, with several sandwiches and salads to choose from. Plus, they served soda, tea and ice coffee. And if they have the kitchen sink brownies when you stop by, you simply have to try one. A spectacularly sweet way to cap off a casual delicious lunch. Friendly service and low prices make this a can't-miss while on Vieques.

1  Thank LowMaintenanceCouple
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Everything is personal opinion, but we found the owner/operators to be a little rude and off putting. The food was fairly unique and for the most part, tasty. Roadside dining has its appeal, but for my time/money, I'd drive down the road to Esperanza and sit down comfortably, stare at the ocean, and drink a cold beer (not available at Sol Food).

1  Thank Gaucho47